Home Spec Mystery

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

yeah, some things are a mystery. I think TV does so much business, they just often have a *take it or leave it* attitude and that's too bad.

I believe once you buy a house, the warranty dept. will give you the subcontractors, etc and you can find all that out, but it's too late for your needs, I understand.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Sage

One thing that must be understood is that TV is not, by any stretch of the imagination, building custom homes.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Sage

Hi St. James,

I think this is a classic case of "it is what it is". Even if you knew the engineering specs, you would not be able to change them.

I also suspect that they cannot tell you now some of the things you are asking about-- such as the window and heat pump efficiency ratings of the ones that will be in your house-- because they honestly don't know yet. It depends on what bids they get from what suppliers when they are ready to buy these supplies to build your house, which depends on when you decide to build (within the year or however long you have.)

I think you can rest assured that anything they use will meet building code. If they tell you something is energy efficient, it will meet at least minimum standards for that designation. It will not be top of the line. But whatever it is, it will be. You will not be able to customize any of things about which you asked.

I so hope you will not loose sleep over this. Even if there are not steel reinforcements and it doesn't carry the loads you would have chosen, your house isn't going to fall down unless there's a hurricane or tornado or fire or other such extreme event-- and then it might have fall down even built to your specs.

I would feel sad for you if you are unhappy with your decision to purchase here and it's too late to change your mind. There's too many good things to look forward to. So please, try to accept that it is what it is. Recharge your energy and enthusiasm for the excellent lifestyle and community you have chosen.

Be excited. Be very excited.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Sage

We bought in TV for the lifestyle. The housing became a secondary focus for us. Can you get more house for the money elsewhere? Absolutely - we found that to be the case with a number of other 55+ communities around FL. But can you even come close to duplicating the lifestyle - all the amenities, the cleanliness, the activities, the golf, the Squares, the vast infrastructure (stores, restaurants, services), and so on....all just a golf cart ride away? In my opinion, no place else even comes close.

Bill
Old 04-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
We bought in TV for the lifestyle. The housing became a secondary focus for us. Can you get more house for the money elsewhere? Absolutely - we found that to be the case with a number of other 55+ communities around FL. But can you even come close to duplicating the lifestyle - all the amenities, the cleanliness, the activities, the golf, the Squares, the vast infrastructure (stores, restaurants, services), and so on....all just a golf cart ride away? In my opinion, no place else even comes close.

Bill
Old 04-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Sorry if I used the wrong term

I didn’t know that a tract home was defined as an inexpensive one, or even negative. I understood it to mean a development with like models. I wasn't trying to cast aspersions on any people’s decisions or on the value of the houses there. I realize that the villages has many models but I was under the impression that they came as is with only some having the option of additional square feet or a golf cart garage but that the models were built as planned as doing each custom for the buyer would be much more expensive and not an option provided by the builder. I was asking if I had got the correct impression from reading this forum.
I didn’t mean to get anyone upset. I have only been to the villages once as I now live on the west coast, so I have to rely on all the great people on this forum for my info as I live vicariously though you all at least for now.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.