Is homeowner self insurance possible in The Villages?

Old 05-08-2024, 09:22 AM
Default Is homeowner self insurance possible in The Villages?

I have some experience with insurance companies created by groups such as doctors when their insurance costs had large increases. It appears to me that the current rise in insurance premiums comes from a combination of increases in cost of repairs such as lumber prices, and the losses they sustained from hurricane Ivan.
It seems to me that The Villages is located far enough away from the coast that severe damage from hurricanes is a slight threat. Similarly, the flooding damages we've seen like those along the St. John's river are also much less likely here. I wonder if we in The Villages are subsidizing the risks found in areas susceptible to catastropic damages.
My question is, would it be possible for The Villages residents to self insure? Could we form our own insurance company? I"m not familiar with what the state requirements are for capitalizing an insurance company perhaps some of you have some information about that.
I'm sure that the premiums we are paying are much higher than they need to be and that self insuring if possible would be a benefit to us all. Thoughts?
Old 05-08-2024, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

Good idea. I'd sure consider it.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,431 Posts

Do not think it could work. A tornado wiping out a bunch of homes would wipe out such a group rather quickly
Old 05-08-2024, 09:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,134 Times in 561 Posts
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Do not think it could work. A tornado wiping out a bunch of homes would wipe out such a group rather quickly
If you have been around here long enough, there are way too many reasons to not undertake the endeavor. Variable construction techniques from mobile homes to block cover the villages is one. Then there was the Mallory Hills twister that destroyed many villages homes around the housing crisis time around 2008.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-08-2024, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 2,285 Posts

To become an actual insurance company the legal and financial hurdles are tremendous. If any of the participants in your group still have a mortgage I’m sure that the mortgage company would also balk at such an arrangement.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-08-2024, 10:20 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,784 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalloy View Post
I have some experience with insurance companies created by groups such as doctors when their insurance costs had large increases. It appears to me that the current rise in insurance premiums comes from a combination of increases in cost of repairs such as lumber prices, and the losses they sustained from hurricane Ivan.
It seems to me that The Villages is located far enough away from the coast that severe damage from hurricanes is a slight threat. Similarly, the flooding damages we've seen like those along the St. John's river are also much less likely here. I wonder if we in The Villages are subsidizing the risks found in areas susceptible to catastropic damages.
My question is, would it be possible for The Villages residents to self insure? Could we form our own insurance company? I"m not familiar with what the state requirements are for capitalizing an insurance company perhaps some of you have some information about that.
I'm sure that the premiums we are paying are much higher than they need to be and that self insuring if possible would be a benefit to us all. Thoughts?
No one with a mortgage would be eligible.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:24 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,422 Times in 1,465 Posts

And don't forget, one slight mistake and Morgan & Morgan will be at your doorstep. Personal injury attorneys advertise very heavily down here, never seen anything like it anywhere else.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
If you have been around here long enough, there are way too many reasons to not undertake the endeavor. Variable construction techniques from mobile homes to block cover the villages is one. Then there was the Mallory Hills twister that destroyed many villages homes around the housing crisis time around 2008.
I've lived here 10 years. You mention one incident that occurred over 15 yrs. ago. Consider what the premium collection from 5,000 homes over those years would have been. The company could have easily covered all the claims.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
No one with a mortgage would be eligible.
I'm suggesting that we form our own insurance company. Why would individuals with a mortgage not be able to purchase a policy through it?
Old 05-08-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
And don't forget, one slight mistake and Morgan & Morgan will be at your doorstep. Personal injury attorneys advertise very heavily down here, never seen anything like it anywhere else.
Love thos guys. Spent 40 years of defending their mostly baseless claims. Remember that the loss to the insurance company is capped by the policy limits. Reinsurance is another way to lower risks.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:55 PM

Rather than forming an insurance company which has many State Regulations it might be possible to form some sort of Co-Op type of self-insurance that would have limited peril catastrophic coverage on the structure only such as Wind - Fire. Wind damage to roof shingle was be base on age and paid on an ACV bases. You would only get paid for limited things.

Just a though since someone brought up Self-Insurance
Old 05-08-2024, 01:06 PM
Default Developer

Interesting that the Developers haven't thought of that. They have Banks,
Health insurance, etc... Why not set up an insurance company for eligible village residents? Might help sell properties.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSO/ISPF View Post
Health insurance, etc... Why not set up an insurance company for eligible village residents? Might help sell properties.
Somewhere along the line either the developer or someone approached them about this.

If they thought this would make them money without great risk it would have been done
Old 05-08-2024, 01:41 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,784 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalloy View Post
I'm suggesting that we form our own insurance company. Why would individuals with a mortgage not be able to purchase a policy through it?
Good luck obtaining a financial rating for a localized group of residents. Would never happen. Even loans provided by CitizensFirst are written to Fannie guidelines.

General Property Insurance Requirements for All Property Types | Fannie Mae
Old 05-08-2024, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,238 Times in 2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSO/ISPF View Post
Most very successful businesses focus on what they are very good at and don’t try to be jacks of all trades and get spread too thin.

Tags
insurance, villages, company, damages, premiums

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.