Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by caljeff View Post
Or not!
Many folks must have the last word on debates. Many of us are often impatient and yet many impatient people have grown up with mentors or parents who did not show irritation at other drivers and their learned behavior makes for calmer drivers and better choices.

I often wonder what good it does to get mad at other drivers. I often wonder WHY do some people just concentrate on keeping safe and careful driving and others grind their teeth, yell and pound the steering wheel and have a HISSY FIT.

You see, I doubt that a poster was rammed by a cart THREE times at the grocery in one day.

Many older people who have a drop in reaction time or other health issues have stopped driving at their own choice.

I so agree with the OP that we see a lot of bad and careless driving during the time when our population rises and we have a lot of people who are new to our area and not sure of where they are going. AND a rise in people who don't drive the rest of the year and a rise in people, PERIOD.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-08-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eegee View Post
Also from up North and disagree with you. Never seen so many people disregard stop signs like I do here, especially on Wedgewood. I was almost broadsided a couple of weeks ago coming out of my subdivision, she acted like it was my fault. She had that big red sign I didn’t. Also witnessed a lot of driving the wrong way. So I disagree, worse here.
Wedge wood is dangerous. The street has cross streets that don’t have to stop. All should be 4 ways stops, IMHO.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUFAN View Post
Oh yes, I travel on 441 a lot. People from right lane cut over 3 lanes barely missing others while attempting to get there to the turning lane.
About the worse design for turning I have seen. I know people will try to defend the traffic flow from all kinds of view points, but my husband who is a professional driver and drove all over (and was a driver trainer) yet had trouble on both the 441 and roundabouts. If he has trouble when he used to drive 16 hours a day, why wouldn’t other people?

Then you have new people who don’t know where they are going and older people who may have physical problems and you have a toxic driving situation!
Old 02-08-2020, 10:28 AM

An important roundabout rule: SIGNAL
If you are on the inside lane, you have to SIGNAL first, get into outside lane, then exit safely.**
PLEASE DON'T suddenly cut across the outside lane, and scare the h--- out of me !
**even if it means going around again...you're allowed to do that☺
Old 02-08-2020, 10:36 AM

My theory is when people move to the Villages they forget how to use their turn signals. Pretty basic, but true. Why, for example, when entering a roundabout and plan on turning left would you not use your turn signal?
Old 02-08-2020, 10:49 AM

We've been here 20 years and the drivers are getting worse. Many years ago people waved at you to proceed rather than ignore other drivers. Could it be an age thing? Or is it those who haven't adapted to a slower life style? Oh! Don't get me started with fast golf cart drivers…the other day I was driving in a 20 mph zone and was passed by a cart going REALY Fast. I caught up with them on a 30 mph street and found him going almost 30 mph.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch69 View Post
My theory is when people move to the Villages they forget how to use their turn signals. Pretty basic, but true. Why, for example, when entering a roundabout and plan on turning left would you not use your turn signal?
Can’t see the signal because the car is turning. I look for it all the time and because of the angle of the car I can’t tell whether their signal is on or not. The radius is much too small for these roundabouts.

It’s not just bad drivers, it’s bad design. No one who has driven all their lives should be asked to get used to special driving skills.
Especially when there are no alternatives. No public transportation, no sidewalks to cross at. Very unsafe!

You can blame the drivers till the cows come home, but you are not going to get away from the unsafe traffic flow design.

Last edited by Velvet; 02-08-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:01 AM
Platinum member

Two simple rules for surviving roundabouts
1. Know and obey the protocols
2. Assume all others do not know and will not obey the protocols
Old 02-08-2020, 12:55 PM

Well, as a bicyclist here I was almost killed once, and another time scared the crap out of me. I have ridden a bike in Manhattan and even in Rome, Italy. The Villages is by far, the most dangerous place I have ever ridden. I do believe it's due to less than competent drivers (because of age), and the amount of traffic in TV in the winter months. Someone has already said this: To survive here unharmed, you must be very patient along with being ever vigilant.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopiwaters View Post
An important roundabout rule: SIGNAL
If you are on the inside lane, you have to SIGNAL first, get into outside lane, then exit safely.**
PLEASE DON'T suddenly cut across the outside lane, and scare the h--- out of me !
**even if it means going around again...you're allowed to do that☺
Changing lanes in a roundabout is asking for trouble...……………..
Old 02-08-2020, 01:50 PM
Location: Yakima, WA, around the country to the village of Amelia!

I’ve been to all 50 states, and there is a decided difference in the way people drive from place to place. Put us all together, and it doesn’t always work well. Add to that, Villagers are on the decline in our driving abilities. No better place to practice defensive driving. I always try to go easy on slower drivers. They may be driving within their comfort level. With luck, we’ll all be able to drive well into our golden years. Patience is a virtue that will afford those who practice it a wealth of inner peace.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts
Smile

Quote:
If you are on the inside lane, you have to SIGNAL first, get into outside lane, then exit safely.
No you don't.

Quote:
I do that all the time and I plan to keep doing it.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
No you don't.

I do that all the time and I plan to keep doing it.
Holy Bowlegged Sarah.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
...PLEASE DON'T suddenly cut across the outside lane, and scare the h--- out of me !...
If you’re following one one of the basic rules of roundabout driving, that situation will not occur...

DO NOT DRIVE NEXT TO A VEHICLE IN THE OTHER ROUNDABOUT LANE.

Problem solved.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
If you’re following one one of the basic rules of roundabout driving, that situation will not occur...

DO NOT DRIVE NEXT TO A VEHICLE IN THE OTHER ROUNDABOUT LANE.

Problem solved.
Yes, very important, and also since sometimes I can’t see if a person is signaling I find it helpful if I watch the angle of the body of the car. It tends to indicate the direction the person is planning to go.
Closed Thread

Tags
drivers, horrible, poor, stop, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.