How safe is The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
It's probably just me, but I would think that an intruder standing in my bedroom in the middle of the night would be more frightening than the alarm going off.

In addition to the tangle of complications associated with protecting ones self with a 357, which I assume is constantly at your finger tips, have you though about what it will do to the ears of you and your wife if discharged inside a room.

JLK
dont assume so much. it is not even close to my fingertips. and what ifs are not important if an intruder is detected.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:02 AM

[QUOTE=Talk Host;350530]It's probably just me, but I would think that an intruder standing in my bedroom in the middle of the night would be more frightening than the alarm going off.

This is exactly why I said in a previous post to fortify your bedroom door where you are the most vulnerable.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Founder

I'm wondering if any of our posters leave their exterior doors unlocked at night.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I'm wondering if any of our posters leave their exterior doors unlocked at night.
Not a good question to post in a public forum!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I think the title of the thread is misleading. The responses have less to do with how safe TV might or might not be and more to do with what do individuals do to feel safe in the confines of their home.

We have the dead bolts, a dog and "Protected by S&W" stickers at eye level on each door! Ditto where ever we are....not just TV.

btk
Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
Not a good question to post in a public forum!
I'm not asking for specific addresses. Just a broad question to test the strength of the argument that The Villages is safer than other places in the US.

JLK
Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I think the title of the thread is misleading. The responses have less to do with how safe TV might or might not be and more to do with what do individuals do to feel safe in the confines of their home.

We have the dead bolts, a dog and "Protected by S&W" stickers at eye level on each door! Ditto where ever we are....not just TV.

btk
I did a Google search on S&W to see if I could find out more about this security outfit. Guess what I found out? I found out that if you look up "sucker" in the dictionary that you'll find my picture! Thanks Kid!
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Gold member

I see lots of replies of "my .357" and my dog will alert us.

How many of you know how to use that ".357" or whatever you have in hand, either long gun or pistol? Remember all those houses are close together and any bullet that you launch you are responsible for where it lands. You just fired all six rounds, and hit your neighbor. Good shooting??????? and the bad guy is still coming at your unhurt.

I will be willing to bet that under stress you could not hit a target at 5 to 7 yards in under five seconds or more. You will never get your ".357" in the fight. There is a drill that we do at 7 yards, 21 feet. A reasonably heathly person can cover those 21 feet in about 1.5 seconds. Can you get to your ".357" and get a round off htting the target in 1.5 seconds? Just to let you know, I can from 5 yards, drawing from cover, place 6 rounds on 3 targets in center mass in 2.88 seconds movng backwards. Drawing from cover on one target I can hit center mass in 1.05 seconds with two rounds. I have gotten older and slowed down lots. Back in your younger days I was under .88 seconds for the same drill. Age does slow us down. *S*

As a long time competitive shooter and NRA Law Enforcement Trainer I have watched shooters at a public range, take time to get a good sight picture, steady breath, long easy pull on the trigger and put several shoots in a small group. They are really proud of themselves. Shooting this way in a stressfull situation will only get you killed.

Get some training, tactial firearm training in shooting is stressful situations. A timer at a range under the instruction of a good trainer will help you break all the bad habits that you have learned in your life time of shooting and will keep you and your love ones alive.

In times of stress people get what is call "Tunnel vision." You see only what is in front of you and hear nothing. You won't even hear the shot if you do pull the trigger.

Get some training if you are going to have a firearm in your home. Learn what to do, and when to do it.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

Figmo has a lot of bravado in his post. He can cover 7 yards in 1 or 2 seconds, grab his pistol, and put bullets in center mass. This can be done in a drill, but how about if you are wakened from a deep sleep by a burglar at 3 in the morning? Chances are that will not happen in the same time period.

Lock your doors and you will be safe in The Villages. Like Bryan said, a home security system (like ADT) is a personal choice. A pistol in the house is much more likely to kill or seriously harm a family member than an intruder - no matter how well trained you think you are.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

That avitar explains it all.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Sage
Default It's an ALERT to occupants & neighbors to call for help!

Regarding this: "there is nothing more frightening than an alarm system going off in the middle of the night because of a malfunction."

There ARE things far more frightening as talk host said, and as Dr. Wm. Petit of CT can attest...who is brutally widowed from the home invasion in which his wife and daughters were were raped, murdered and burned.

And, when our own or a neighbor's alarm goes off in the night, for real or for some wrong reason, it is a wake-up call to DO something!

If it is the neighbor's house, most people would think calling 911 is the right thing to do....instead of lying there resenting the neighbor and thinking "oh, how annoying and inconvenient to me.....that darn neighbor is interrupting MY sleep I need because I'm retired and don't have to get up for work anymore".

When we have heard a neighbor's alarm go off, we try to contact them wherever they are. To me, that's what most people in TV would do, without resenting the homeowner for having a system.

And by the way...with the perimeter armed and motion sensors off while we're sleeping, I can't think of one time when our system sounded the alarm because of a malfunction, and we have a dog that is free to go about.

I appreciate hearing my neighbor's alarm going off. It tells me they need help and we could be next!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmo Bohica View Post
I can from 5 yards, drawing from cover, place 6 rounds on 3 targets in center mass in 2.88 seconds movng backwards. Drawing from cover on one target I can hit center mass in 1.05 seconds with two rounds. I have gotten older and slowed down lots. Back in your younger days I was under .88 seconds for the same drill. Age does slow us down. *S*
If the intruder is already in your bedroom while you are sleeping, that gun isn't going to be a factor no matter how fast you are. You are SLEEPING.

Now if you are awakened it's a different story.

Exactly how many of these invasions are we talking about. I would assume most robberies are when the home is not occupied or the occupants are out of the home.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

I don't mean to be rude, but although I value all your opinions on why or why not to have an alarm system, no one is answering my original request for recommendations for Alarm System vendors. Can someone please help me out?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Gold member
Default The Villages is relatively safe

I put fear of house burglary way down on my list of my Villages-related concerns, after:
1. The IRS investigation of the Developer's dealings with the Center Districts
2. Sink holes
3. Lousy drivers-- both cars and golf carts
4. Tornadoes
5. Hurricanes
6. A paranoid, trigger-happy neighbor with a .357 magnum (a firearm which has a lot of penetrating power) shooting at a noise in the night and the slug going through his wall and my wall
7. Ladies in red hats
Old 04-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
I put fear of house burglary way down on my list of my Villages-related concerns, after:
1. The IRS investigation of the Developer's dealings with the Center Districts
2. Sink holes
3. Lousy drivers-- both cars and golf carts
4. Tornadoes
5. Hurricanes
6. A paranoid, trigger-happy neighbor with a .357 magnum (a firearm which has a lot of penetrating power) shooting at a noise in the night and the slug going through his wall and my wall
7. Ladies in red hats

Especially ladies in red hats!
What about alligators?

I agree with your concerns and in that order.

I don't know Taylor because I really can't remember anyone having a security system on my street.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.