I don't know how to get started.

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Veteran member
Default Ceramics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I did the hands muddy clay/wheel bit. I even used a kick wheel at one time. Loved it and might take it up again when I become a frog.

BTW, TH's post was from 2006!
Now you guys are reminding me of the movie Ghost!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
Janette
You deserve a mulligan!
-------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
somebody call me??
-------------------------------------
I have to tell you, Mulligan.......you totally cracked me up last nite.....your timing was absolutely perfect! I am still LOL.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 AM

Look at Recreational News in the newspaper where it will list the clubs. Ceramics is one of the topics and it shows several locations for clubs who do ceramics. I believe they do both slab built ceramics, moulded ceramics and free form wheel thrown ceramics. You should call them as you first step. Doing ceramics is not difficult but it is applying newly learned information. Wheel thowing is maybe the hardest of the skills to learn but not impossible and once learned it becomes easy. My wife asked me if we could do ceramics about 18 years ago, so I introduced her to it. Not so many years later we were selling ceramics at juried art shows. I don't mean to imply it is that easy to get good but if you are committed it will come quickly. Good Luck.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette1 View Post
After several different companies that charge anywhere from $350 -1000 I have found a wonderful company called Covenant Janitorial . Desmond went the extra mile for us so I wanted to give others a heads-up. This is my first posting so I hope I am doing it correctly.
Janette1:

I wanted to you to TOTV forum.

The members are friendly, informative and very knowledgable people.

This is a great site so please keep on posting.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

OK; let me jump in because this is something I know about in TV because my extremely talented wife is involved.

First; If you have no experience you'll need to get some instruction, as the Ceramic and Clay Groups are clubs and not teaching groups. Of course, these wonderful people always help each other out, but not to instruct a total novice.

So if you're in TV, the thing to do is to take classes at the the Lifelong Learning Center first. Then approach one or more of the Clay Arts Groups and inquire about membership. At present there are 5 groups and they are at Mulberry, Miona, Laurel Manor, Colony and Seabreeze. The only problem is that they are pretty much at capacity because of the problem of space. The thing to do is to put yourself on their waiting lists.

All the groups are hoping that with the new expansion south of 466A, that a new Regional Rec. Center will accommodate a new Clay Arts Group.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:05 AM

My daughter actually majored in psycho-ceramics in college.

She wanted to work with crackpots.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.