If you had your life to live over...........

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Would you choose the same job, if you had the choice?

There is no question in my mind that if I had my life to live over I would be a physician.
I to would be a Dr.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Veteran member

I thoroughly enjoyed my career field (computer programmer analyst) but I've always had an interest in criminal investigation and forensics. I know I would have been good at it.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Sage

I'd write music so beautiful it would bring tears and inspire listeners to kindness and greatness.

... But first, I'd have to be reborn with musical talent.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,700 Times in 1,608 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I'd write music so beautiful it would bring tears to your eyes.

... But first, I'd have to be reborn with musical talent.
No...As I tell my grandchildren...you have so many talents, it makes my head spin!!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by momesu View Post
Tough question for me. 19 months ago I would have said yes I would have chosen my same job since I was a stay at home mom (both my and my husbands choice) and had the joy of being with my children as they grew up; guiding them, playing with them and just being there for them. Now though I am not sure since my husband chose to leave me 18 months ago. I have no retirement of my own and no useful job skills to fall back on to provide a life for myself. I still don't think I would give up the time I had with my kids, but life would be much more secure now if I had had a career.
Not trying to hijack the thread...but is it possible for you to go a community college to get some job skills?

For me, I probably would have chosen to be a social worker.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:45 AM

Thank you. I am so glad things turned out for you!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Sage

Hi Gracie,

Just saw your post and wanted to take a few minutes to comment.

Would I change things about my life? Would I have studied to be something I am not presently? Well, assuming I am still the same person I am presently, nothing would have changed. I'd still be the same "me" and I'd made the same decisions. When I was younger, so many careers seemed appealing....lawyer, doctor, detective, business professional, but the studying involved in many of those careers wasn't what I wanted to undertake. Always enjoyed science and that's what I studied in college....biology. Dad had always wanted me to teach, but I wasn't sure it was what I wanted to do. Got my degree and then taught for one LLLLOOOOONNNNGGGG year.....it wasn't what I wanted. Haven't worked much in my trained field, buy my training has worked for me. It has helped me with family, friends, learning, understanding life, nature, teaching, learning to accept, disregard, debate, when to stand your ground and when to give in and go on, move forward. Life has been a series of adventures as well as mis-adventures, some funny, some not so funny, but again, I'd not change a thing.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Sage

I'm with you Gracie. Now that I'm in the medical field as a RN I would have loved to be a surgeon.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Gold member
Cool

A different profession?

I consider myself the luckiest person in the world in respect to my profession. I was absolutely blindly led into it by the Hand of Providence! It turned out that I became an X-ray technologist. Maybe not a glamorous sounding thing to most people, but it sure had everything that I wanted. I loved studying the physics, anatomy, and physiology. I was fortunate to enter the field at the beginning of an explosion in area medical imaging technology. First they came out with C-arms tha could do flouro outside of the x-ray room. Then our hospital got one of the first CT scanners in our city, so I raised my hand to allowed to learn it. It was hard work, but again, I absolutely loved learning the technology so it was very rewarding. Then along came the first MRI scanners. Raised my hand again. It wasn't even FDA approved at the time and the average exam took close to 2 hours. Since then, the machines have gotten fast enough to do an exam in 20-40 minutes! Not to mention that these massive pieces of equipment can now see more detail and not just anatomy, but now function of the human body and mind. It has also been satisfying to be part of the saving of lives by being able diagnose disease earlier and earlier! Looking back, I see how privileged I was to be part of it all. We now have more MRI scanners in our city than the whole of Canada! We have people coming to the USA from all over the world to be able to access the cutting edge, life saving work that can be done by the phenomenal healthcare system that is ours to share! Ok...in short...I LOVE MY JOB!
Do anything different?
Taken life slower, not worried so much about how things would turn out, spent less money on stuff cause stuff just wears out, spent more time reading to my kids and baking cookies with them and listening to the hearts of my kids and spouse. I would have done more to help the helpless learn to help themselves, so that they could experience the joy of accomplishment, and the feeling of dignity after an honest day of hard work, and the freedom obtained by discipline and self reliance!
Do anything different?
Maybe a few things, but had I done everything "perfect" I would currently be a conceited, know it all, snob of a person who is out of touch with reality and certain unavoidable struggles of most other humans on this little blue planet. I am glad to be able to look back and see where I should have made a different choice, because I know that it is by the Grace of God that I made it this far...and I generally think that has made me an easier person for me to be have to live with
Old 06-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Soaring Parsley

Hi KatzPajamas,

I just had to jump in here and tell you that I absolutely loved your post.

Your joy in your work in such an important field comes through loud and clear. I love it when people love their jobs. It sounds like you have a gift for science and you are using that gift.

Also, I tend to read between the lines and that's where I saw something more than just the science part. I bet you have made a difference in the lives of so many people throughout the years. I don't mean just because you know how to make those MRI's do what they do. I bet that you also are someone who is really good at making the patients feel better if they are anxious about the process of going through the MRI. And my next guess is that younger techs have learned a lot from you, including MRI-Side Manner. (It was the last part of your post that made me think all that. -- That's when the narrator who lives inside my head showed up.)

So anyway, thank you for your dedication to your work. It sounds like, for you, it was a true calling. We live in a time now where too many are choosing a medical field for one reason and one reason only -- that's where the jobs are. Practical? Certainly. But not the best for the patients. Medicine should be more than just a job.

But I also want to say that when I saw your screen name, my first thought was, "Oh I wonder if she is a designer of lovely, comfortable, women's pj's, suitable for wearing around the house all day if you happen to feel like doing so once in a while."

Yes, KatzPajamas, that really was my first thought. Like you were a pj version of Vera Bradley, maybe. Hey! Who knows -- could be a second career for you maybe............Uh oh, there goes that narrator.

Boomer, typing in the car again. (Mr. Boomer loves it that I have this iPad with me, but I know, deep-down he surely misses my helpful driving tips.)
Old 06-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Gold member

Boomer, thanks for the kind words!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Hey I would be a surfer dude and just hang out at the beach and do nothing not work or anything

OMG I can do that now see you later surf is up
Old 06-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,700 Times in 1,608 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I posted this question out of interest, not out of wistfulness. Most people think a few thoughts about another career choice.

I am glad that I made the choices I made and the only change is that I would not have worried so much.

It doesn't help anything.

I am so grateful that it looks as if very soon we will be full time villagers and the very best part about that is that I hope to continue to enjoy all of you as friends.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I posted this question out of interest, not out of wistfulness. Most people think a few thoughts about another career choice.

I am glad that I made the choices I made and the only change is that I would not have worried so much.

I am so grateful that it looks as if very soon we will be full time villagers and the very best part about that is that I hope to continue to enjoy all of you as friends.
Another example of why you are rightfully noted as a "Sage".

Enjoy your posts and your words of wisdom. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Great advice - I needed to hear this - I am one of those "worriers" and you are right, it doesn't help. Time to enjoy life and focus on the important things.

I surely would have chosen a different career, as I didn't really have one. Taught for 2 partial years, but don't think teaching was really for me. Had various other part-time jobs here and there. When I did work full-time, it was more a job than a career. Interesting to me until the workload became overwhelming.

I was one of those "corporate wives" who moved 15 times during 27 years of marriage, then divorced, so yes, I have regrets, but also have 2 great daughters.

I think I might have been happy as a librarian . . . but I think I may have been born to retire - as a mostly stay-at-home mom (when I wasn't busy buying, selling houses and moving), I did have time to develop many interests that I can continue in or add to in both summer-time Ohio and seasonal Florida. I have met several people, mostly in Ohio, who don't know what they would do all day if they weren't working and are really afraid to retire. Some have retired and been fine, and others are "bored."
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.