I’m over Talk of The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2023, 06:55 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Michael61 - Sorry to see you go and let the foolish bullies get the better of you! Your posts were what many appreciated here as evidenced by their responses to you. TOTV can always use posters like yourself. Don’t leave for any length of time other than a brief respit n recharge. You’ll always be welcome here.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:15 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,773 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
It is interesting how men criticize the rantings of disagreeable women, and consider all women who complain and make snarky comment as B*tches. While in this forum it is a handful of MEN who are B*tchy, disagreeable, snarky, sarcastic, mean spirited. These men tell hapless users who seek answers that there posts are Stupid, or a waste of everyone's time. Why would a man- in this case a half dozen men behave like this? I believe it is because they are compensating for their Tiny... Egos. What a disgraceful way for grown men to act. Take your Small... Egos somewhere else.
Yes, it truly is a shame. If you were around when we first started, meeting at Crispers (long closed, now a Mexican restaurant), it was nothing like this. There was one person who posted some needless, but harmless, comments often, but through the years the "sarcasm" turned to mean, nasty, and most of all "superior", remarks to make the person asking for help or direction or recommendations feel foolish, or uneducated. Remarks meant to bolster the sagging ego of one or more of those who make such replies, mocking, replies. I have no way of knowing if the "offenders" are men or women, that's nearly impossible now since an on line name is no indication, and a picture means nothing. Obviously, having another "community on line social site" for normal interchanges, and one for such folks who really enjoy the "inside jokes", and "back and forth ****ing contests" (sorry, but that's what it's usually called) are very indicative of a junior high mentality, and yet those who enjoy this have free speech also. Just wish there was a site where new village residents would not be ridiculed and offended for the entertainment of others... I remember how we felt as new residents, and felt so much are and support.. those days are gone ! I just hate that it happens so often now !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 04-13-2023 at 12:20 PM. Reason: addition for clarity
Old 04-12-2023, 10:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Yes, it truly is a shame. If you were around when we first started, meeting at Crispers (long closed, now a Mexican restaurant), it was nothing like this. There was one person who posted some needless, but harmless, comments often, but through the years the "sarcasm" turned to mean, nasty, most of all "superior", remarks to make the person asking for help or direction or recommendation, was used to help bolster the sagging ego of one or more of those who make sarcastic replies, mocking, replies. I have no way of knowing if the "offenders" are men or women, that's nearly impossible now anyway, since an on line name is now no indication, and a picture means nothing. Obviously, having another "community on line social site" for normal interchanges, and another folks who really enjoy that "inside jokes", and "back and forth ****ing contests" (sorry, but that's what it's usually called) are very indicative of a junior high mentality, and yet, I have no objections to those who enjoy this, but wish there was a site where those new the villages would not be ridiculed and offended for the entertainment of others... I just hate that it happens so often.
I have only noticed a few of the old Crispers gang posting on here for quite a long time. Many have passed away though.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:29 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I'll miss your insight and questions Micheal61. Once I hit 45 on the ignore list the quality of my experience improved greatly. From what I can determine over 85% are male, typically know-it-alls or those that truly believe what they have to say is important although it's a icon, character, or something simply juvenile. Mostly, I pity the fools.
Toymeister, you are certainly one who seems to have interesting comments and factual information for sure. I will have to look into the "ignore" feature, never used that. Personally, I think the "juvenile" spin to much of it is an attempt to bolster the "self" and feel superior. I concur with your "I pity the fools", but we all know the kind of ire pity from others brings out in such people !
Old 04-12-2023, 10:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
No, Michael, you have several options. Don’t let yourself be intimidated. Your honesty and authenticity and enthusiasm are very welcome. But remember that not all posters here on TOTV live in TV or even in Florida - and some can be from competing retirement communities. And some are only interested in making themselves money. And it is in their best interest to shoo you away if you are complaining about their activities. If you stay awhile you get a feeling for who is who.
SOOOOO true ! If you read some of he replies for a long enough period of time, you'll realize such people do not live here. It's perfectly acceptable to point out short comings of ones community, but also one's responsibility to contribute positive solutions. You know some of those who habitually post the insults and sarcasm, would have sold out and moved long ago, if the ever lived here at all. they would have sold out and left long ago. Also, no "research science protocol" behind it, but is you look at some of the "stats" it's quite interesting, some of the people most often "thanked", have "thanked" others VERY few times. Don't know how to read that, but it is interesting.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:32 PM

Wait we're not done with you

Just kidding
Old 04-13-2023, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
One good thing about your post, I never knew there was an IGNORE function. Now I do.
Same here! Good to know.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
First , let me say the vast majority of people here are kind, and have been very helpful to me, a new resident in The Villages - thank you to all who have taken the time to be patient with me, and offering good and sage advice. I truly appreciate you! There is a small group of about 6-7 guys here that have ruined this app for me (you know who you are) - These guys over-post on every single thread, are smug and sarcastic, have an inflated high opinion of themselves, think themselves so much wiser, sharper and wittier than most others here - are quick to and enjoy pointing out errors of others, enjoy demeaning and shaming others, and are all around not nice people, sorta like the schoolyard bully that craves attention, even if it’s negative. There is something wrong with these people and I actually feel sorry for them, as they seem to lead miserable, uneventful lives, and have nothing really better to do than hang out on this site all day long to stir controversy. It has become tiresome to avoid this small but extremely vocal group,- I know you can use the ignore feature, but inevitably someone else will copy and post their comments into the thread when they respond. Thanks for the rest who have been so helpful and kind - Everyone please be nice to each other - if a question is being repeated from previous posts, don’t shame the person - they could be new, or unaware of previous posts- and don’t belittle them for asking a question you think they should already know the answer to - if you have nothing nice, polite or positive to say -then simply dont reply or post anything - it only makes you look “small” and insecure.
Take a break, take a deep breath, but don’t leave for good. I have enjoyed reading your posts from the time you started trying to win the house lottery in Richmond!
Old 04-13-2023, 05:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,648 Times in 964 Posts

TOTV is annoying - i think the problem is the posts stay open for too long.

Most posts are great/informative.

For example, if I ask for someone to paint my house, you get a lot of names of good and not good people. After a week, close it down, that’s when the posts go south.

If Havana is terrible this week, that post doesn’t need to be around in 10 days - the conditions will change.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:49 AM

The anonymity of the internet allows some people to behave in a way they probably wouldn’t in person. In any case, this is the internet, and these are only words. You give those words power by reacting to them. What you should do is ignore them. Scroll on through. Don’t let words typed on a screen impact you. Remember “sticks and stones”? Words cannot hurt you. Unless you hurt yourself when you read them.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
First , let me say the vast majority of people here are kind, and have been very helpful to me, a new resident in The Villages - thank you to all who have taken the time to be patient with me, and offering good and sage advice. I truly appreciate you! There is a small group of about 6-7 guys here that have ruined this app for me (you know who you are) - These guys over-post on every single thread, are smug and sarcastic, have an inflated high opinion of themselves, think themselves so much wiser, sharper and wittier than most others here - are quick to and enjoy pointing out errors of others, enjoy demeaning and shaming others, and are all around not nice people, sorta like the schoolyard bully that craves attention, even if it’s negative. There is something wrong with these people and I actually feel sorry for them, as they seem to lead miserable, uneventful lives, and have nothing really better to do than hang out on this site all day long to stir controversy. It has become tiresome to avoid this small but extremely vocal group,- I know you can use the ignore feature, but inevitably someone else will copy and post their comments into the thread when they respond. Thanks for the rest who have been so helpful and kind - Everyone please be nice to each other - if a question is being repeated from previous posts, don’t shame the person - they could be new, or unaware of previous posts- and don’t belittle them for asking a question you think they should already know the answer to - if you have nothing nice, polite or positive to say -then simply dont reply or post anything - it only makes you look “small” and insecure.

you can not expect everyone to trip over themselves to make sure every word they type fits the "overly super nice" category that's as unrealistic as the people that run this board. It is impossible for anyone to expect that. I could see leaving because of those that run this board, and trust me, I''ve had serious thoughts about it but I do get some great entertainment from reading some of the (*$()# that gets posted on here.

This is the internet - anything said anywhere on the internet is not only fair game but also open to interpretation and should always be taken with a grain of salt. Something yet to be learned by about 80% of those on the internet. It is suppsed to be freedom of speech, but I can surely tell you looking at my inbox that without any doubt there is no freedom of speech within 5 square miles from me. While true that opinions are never going to stop, it is also true that opinion and the way it's stated paints an image..... on the internet that image is usually false.

just my 2 cents.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
First, let me say the vast majority of people here are kind and have been very helpful to me, a new resident in The Villages - thank you to all who have taken the time to be patient with me, and offering excellent and sage advice. I truly appreciate you! There is a small group of about 6-7 guys here that have ruined this app for me (you know who you are) - These guys over-post on every single thread, are smug and sarcastic, have an inflated high opinion of themselves, think themselves so much wiser, sharper and wittier than most others here - are quick to and enjoy pointing out errors of others, enjoy demeaning and shaming others, and are all around not friendly people, sort of like the schoolyard bully that craves attention, even if it’s negative. There is something wrong with these people and I actually feel sorry for them, as they seem to lead miserable, uneventful lives, and have nothing really better to do than hang out on this site all day long to stir controversy. It has become tiresome to avoid this small but extremely vocal group,- I know you can use the ignore feature, but inevitably someone else will copy and post their comments into the thread when they respond. Thanks for the rest who have been so helpful and kind - Everyone please be nice to each other - if a question is being repeated from previous posts, don’t shame the person - they could be new, or unaware of previous posts- and don’t belittle them for asking a question you think they should already know the answer to - if you have nothing nice, polite or positive to say -then simply dont reply or post anything - it only makes you look “small” and insecure.
I have to agree with you about some of the comments. When I first joined this site, everyone was nice and friendly. Now, I noticed some are not so nice so to say. It is my opinion, and I hope no one has a sarcastic reply. I have not gotten too many myself, but I read a few from other people’s posts when someone posted. Sometimes it is the poster who is making an unkind post too. It has gotten a little sour at times by a few handfuls.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:55 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,756 Times in 466 Posts

Wow- I wasn’t looking for sympathy, but the outpouring of comments here are so appreciative of you kind people. Thank you for those who pointed out that some of the nasty posters are from outside The Villages, I guess I was assuming unless the user stated otherwise, that everyone was naturally a Villages resident. I’m going to take a short break, but will be back soon, and will use the ignore feature- I wish though that when you place someone on ignore, that they are then completely blocked from viewing or posting within the OP’s thread if they are on the OP ignore list (as of now, they can still post, but will show in thread as “on your ignore list), if another user replies and copies their post, then the OP can now read their post. Anyway, thanks again everyone for your support - will be back soon! And isn’t living in the Villages a blessing! 😀
Old 04-13-2023, 06:00 AM

I hesitate to answer a question or voice my opinion because of the sarcastic remarks I get from a few people. Perhaps these people were bullied when they were younger and now feel empowered to put people down. I enjoy info I receive from most people and will start using ignore button.
Old 04-13-2023, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Wow- I wasn’t looking for sympathy, but the outpouring of comments here appreciates your kind people. Thank you for those who pointed out that some of the nasty posters are from outside The Villages, I guess I was assuming unless the user stated otherwise, that everyone was naturally a Villages resident. I’m going to take a short break, but will be back soon, and will use the ignore feature- I wish though that when you place someone on ignore, that they are then completely blocked from viewing or posting within the OP’s thread if they are on the OP ignore list (as of now, they can still post, but will show in thread as “on your ignore list), if another user replies and copies their post, then the OP can now read their post. Anyway, thanks again everyone for your support - will be back soon! And isn’t living in the Villages a blessing! 😀
I still do not know where that ignore button is, but I will find it eventually. Sometimes I get amazed at what someone writes, LOL. I just read it and go on.

Tags
people, nice, question, small, post

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.