Insulting signs at fish hawk

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiquer505 View Post
There are 2 demeaning, sexually suggestive signs in the billiards room at Fish Hawk that should be removed. Requests to the Rec Dept. to this end have been made, accompanied by petition sheets with Villagers' signatures, but to no avail. The signs are "girlie posters" akin to those of a less politically correct era and use fishing terms to suggest a woman's "bush" and keeping a man's "rod" up.

Fish Hawk has a family pool and many young people AND women use the billiards room. These signs suggest that such a disrespectful and crass attitude is okay. It is not what anyone expects or should experience in The Villages.

Check out the signs and express your opinion to the Recreation Dept., the front desk, Fish Hawk's Manager or anywhere you think someone might take positive action. The signs are just in bad taste.
I am guessing the OP has a liquor license...
The others with grand children should consider taking those noisy kids to Disney!
Old 03-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Bosoxfan

:b igbow:::
Quote:
Originally Posted by plrbr1120 View Post
IF it bothers you, stay away from there. Simple as that !!
Old 03-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Platinum member

It's a joke.
Like a woman knows anything about fishing.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I'll say.

In the forties, somewhere I saw the pregnant girl statue with the words Kilroy was here. I didn't get it.

I am sure that Tracy Matthews when she ordered these pictures thought...someone is gonna get their knickers in a hitch.

It is very much what you would have seen in a poolroom in the forties.

I am tired of this whole discussion and I am glad I have my family and my friends.

AND that we can CHOOSE who we hang around with.

And I know many are thrilled they don't have to hang out with ME.
You're already too late if they DO get it. I used to work with a couple of ladies, one of which said the she would not allow her kids to watch SNL because of the suggestive jokes. The other one told her, "If they laugh at them, you're already too late because they are way ahead of you. If they have to ask 'what's so funny', then they could care less".

It really bothers me when people come here and then want to start changing everything. What you don't like might be something that I do; and what I don't like might be what you do. That's why they say there is something for everyone.

Apparently, many of the people had not even paid any attention to these posters until the OP posed the idea that there might be a problem. Anything, and I mean anything, can be considered objectionable if one tries hard enough.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
If these signs prevent anyone from taking their grandchildren into the billiards room, I say they have met my requirements for both form and function.
You're right, and very young kids are not supposed to be in the billiards rooms, anyway. If they are not little, believe me, most of them have stuff on their phones that you absolutely would not want to see.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
Old 03-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Veteran member

Is the OP entitled to their opinion? ...... YES

Do I find them personally objectionable? ..... no

Do I find it personally objectionable that the OP was invited to "leave" by the 9th post of the thread for the heinous crime of expressing their opinion? ....... YES!!

Would I have the signs in question in my home .... no (just not my style)

Is their a MAJOR difference in what is acceptable to display in your own home and a public (and yes the Rec Center is a public) facility? ....... YES!!

Their are sooooooooo many on this board that rush in to defend anything that is in any way connected to TV and "The Developer", it is kinda amazing to me. "The Developer" did an excellent job of conceptualizing and executing a business plan. HOWEVER, "The Developer" and those in charge of the VCCDD, CCD are NOT omnipotent! They have, are and will make mistakes and errors in judgement.

Was the placement of these double entree signs a mistake or error in judgement? Considering that this Rec Center has been open for about 10 years or so, you would probably have to say that has not offended enough people to be a problem. However, if would have been my decision to hang them .... I would have said no. Given the location.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Platinum member

Sorry, but I was not, nor do I always defend the developer. Like you said, it's a funny thing that this is just now become objectionable. Is the OP entitled to an opinion....absolutely. Should they be invited to leave because of expressing an opinion....absolutely not!

I do have a problem with the ones who come here and immediately want to start changing things to their liking. Why can't we have fences, why can't the youngsters play pool, why can only people over 30 go to the neighborhood pools, why can't grandparents raise their grandchildren here in TV, why can't our friends from the outside come to the rec centers to play cards or other activities, why can't we have lawn ornaments, why can't we have all modern music; why do we have to listen to 40's - 50's - 60's, why do the "old" people have to drive and be in the way? And, the list goes on, and on, and on. This place is unique and there is no way to please everyone. Enjoy what you enjoy and let the others do the same....that's it. I don't enjoy Cody's or redsauce, but some do. Great! I have my favorite courses, rec centers, restaurants, activities; the others I leave to those who enjoy them. If not for all the rules, this place would become just like many other undesirable places. Even the retirement places around us that don't have as much to offer as here, have rules by which they must abide.

Something for EVERYONE. If not here, then maybe somewhere else; just don't try to change what many others like, have been accustomed to, and enjoy.

If anyone here is bored, it is not the fault of someone else.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
Old 03-08-2015, 04:45 PM

SAy it aint so....lets get it 2gether...Are these people for real....
Old 03-08-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiquer505 View Post
There are 2 demeaning, sexually suggestive signs in the billiards room at Fish Hawk that should be removed. Requests to the Rec Dept. to this end have been made, accompanied by petition sheets with Villagers' signatures, but to no avail. The signs are "girlie posters" akin to those of a less politically correct era and use fishing terms to suggest a woman's "bush" and keeping a man's "rod" up.

Fish Hawk has a family pool and many young people AND women use the billiards room. These signs suggest that such a disrespectful and crass attitude is okay. It is not what anyone expects or should experience in The Villages.

Check out the signs and express your opinion to the Recreation Dept., the front desk, Fish Hawk's Manager or anywhere you think someone might take positive action. The signs are just in bad taste.
I wouldn't have thought these signs would be up to TV standards. I agree with you, but I guess we're wrong about TV's standards. Too bad.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The moment anyone mentioned that it is politically correct to be offended by these posters, I cast my vote. . . to keep them. Political correctness is should be properly re-labeled: Political Dumbness.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
So you choose to suggest people who play pool are not as good as you?!!? How rude! That is not very classy. Would you have found these objectionable in the era of the 40's or 50's?
I never said that.......I just think those sort of photos would not be hung in the entrance hall of any rec center....

But they are what some people like to look at in a pool room.....or so says the decorating staff.

although I did not live in the 40's I do think the pictures were available,

but the verbage I do believe was not the same, in regards to bush and rod.....I think legs were called gams and that was looked upon as derogatory

but then again I grew up in connecticut in a all girls catholic school right thru highschool. So again...what do I know
Old 03-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Eternal Member

Old 03-08-2015, 05:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Old 03-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleeja View Post
🙊🙈🙉
🌴🌴🌴
🌀⚡️⛄️

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

a number of posters defense of these signs is that "we are adults for godsake". so its no big deal. But if that's true why would someone be so juvenile as to hang signs like this especially in a rec center they know attracts many people for many reasons .

For me its not about being politically correct or even being offended. For me its a small reminder, a trigger, of the state of mind in this sex obsessed society. It seems you can't go anywhere or watch anything or listen to any music that doesn't exploit this issue and often very pervertedly. Lucky for me remotes have fast forward so I can at least minimize these mindless displays

So it would be nice to be able to escape it some of the time. and yes I will avoid the billard room at Fish Hawk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.