Interesting conversation today

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2023, 11:07 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaran View Post
We are a city of 150,000 and have some of the same problems as all cities, remember Federal law says
80% 55 or over, what about the other 20%?
Actually since the developer has not received any money from the federal government even the 80/20 rule can be ignored if the developer so chooses. They are not subject to HUD regulations. The over 55 retirement designation seems to be for marketing purposes only.
Old 07-01-2023, 02:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,135 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Actually since the developer has not received any money from the federal government even the 80/20 rule can be ignored if the developer so chooses. They are not subject to HUD regulations. The over 55 retirement designation seems to be for marketing purposes only.
Yet if they don’t comply, they can be sued by the sum of those who were lied to when purchasing. It would be construed as false advertising.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Normal; 07-01-2023 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 04:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Yet if they don’t comply, they can be sued by the sum of those who were lied to when purchasing. It would be construed as false advertising.
The problem is how do you calculate the data. It is easy to track owners and occupants but how can you track all of the homes owned by investors, especially if they are renting by the day? There is no way to know at any given time who is living there.
Old 07-01-2023, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,181 Posts

Quote:
The problem is how do you calculate the data. It is easy to track owners and occupants but how can you track all of the homes owned by investors, especially if they are renting by the day? There is no way to know at any given time who is living there.
"They" know when they issue amenity passes
Old 07-01-2023, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
It seems like you don't understand what HOPA is about. Receiving HUD money is not a requirement of HOPA and does not affect the 80/20 rule. HOPA provides an exemption against discrimination on familial status, it does not necessarily provide a guarantee that your neighbors are all 55+.

Here is a Fair Housing Act page on HOPA.

And here is a HUD FAQ on HOPA.

HOPA requires that 80% of occupied homes have a resident 55 or older. If you want to argue that a short term renter does not qualify as a tenant then that home must be considered as unoccupied and not part of the 80/20 equation.

As far as enforcing internal deed restrictions, read the Enforcement section of your deed restrictions. According to the agreement you signed, the Developer is not obligated to enforce any restrictions. On the other hand, "All Owners shall have the right and duty to prosecute at law...." Rather than waiting for the Developer to take action, exercise your right and duty to take action yourself.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-01-2023, 04:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
It seems like you don't understand what HOPA is about. Receiving HUD money is not a requirement of HOPA and does not affect the 80/20 rule. HOPA provides an exemption against discrimination on familial status, it does not necessarily provide a guarantee that your neighbors are all 55+.

Here is a Fair Housing Act page on HOPA.

And here is a HUD FAQ on HOPA.

HOPA requires that 80% of occupied homes have a resident 55 or older. If you want to argue that a short term renter does not qualify as a tenant then that home must be considered as unoccupied and not part of the 80/20 equation.

As far as enforcing internal deed restrictions, read the Enforcement section of your deed restrictions. According to the agreement you signed, the Developer is not obligated to enforce any restrictions. On the other hand, "All Owners shall have the right and duty to prosecute at law...." Rather than waiting for the Developer to take action, exercise your right and duty to take action yourself.
Seems futile.
Old 07-01-2023, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,239 Times in 2,819 Posts

Quote:
Seems futile.
And expensive.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,203 Times in 1,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Please tell us you are NOT serious. A place for TEENAGERS to come. The OP is NOT talking about well-behaved kids visiting grandparents, she is talking about groups of UNRELATED teens RENTING short term at Airbnb's in TV, an ostensibly 55+ community. Maybe you should try living next to one of these flop houses where unruly vacationers break the rules, party to 3 AM, park in your driveway and disrespect your property.

Something needs to be done before it is too late.
Seriously? These kids park in other people's driveways?
Old 07-02-2023, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,203 Times in 1,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Another delusional post devoid of a basis in reality. YES I begrudge "others" renting short term with children. This is a 55+ community, not a playground for children. If you enjoy " the joy younger people bring to life", move to a community that has that demographic. But DO NOT buy here and try to change TV into something YOU like. Again, we're not talking about grandkids visiting for a week or 2, we are talking about loud, obnoxious short term renters who couldn't care less about their neighbors or this community.
This 10000 times. Actually, that is not enough zeros!
Old 07-02-2023, 02:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Seriously? These kids park in other people's driveways?
They were using our driveway when we were up north thinking we wouldn’t know. A neighbor took pictures and contacted me and I quickly put a stop to it, but not before my driveway got a few oil stains from a leaking piece of junk. Once they stopped using my driveway, they parked in front of our home and one a$$hole pulled partially onto our front lawn and crushed a sprinkler head. Transient short term renters often have absolutely no regard for the piece and tranquility of an otherwise single family residential neighborhood. People living in crowded urban city areas seem to have no problem with the likes of AirBnB’s, but they don’t fit in with quiet residential neighborhoods, especially in a retirement community. Thankfully the bad neighbor running the AirBnB in our neighborhood moved out, much to the pleasure of everyone else.
Old 07-02-2023, 04:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,648 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Let me know how that lawsuit works out
Old 07-02-2023, 08:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Do you know if the owners of the AirBnBs typically arrange for the renters to get Visitor Passes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
They were using our driveway when we were up north thinking we wouldn’t know. A neighbor took pictures and contacted me and I quickly put a stop to it, but not before my driveway got a few oil stains from a leaking piece of junk. Once they stopped using my driveway, they parked in front of our home and one a$$hole pulled partially onto our front lawn and crushed a sprinkler head. Transient short term renters often have absolutely no regard for the piece and tranquility of an otherwise single family residential neighborhood. People living in crowded urban city areas seem to have no problem with the likes of AirBnB’s, but they don’t fit in with quiet residential neighborhoods, especially in a retirement community. Thankfully the bad neighbor running the AirBnB in our neighborhood moved out, much to the pleasure of everyone else.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Do you know if the owners of the AirBnBs typically arrange for the renters to get Visitor Passes?
I have no idea, never used an AirBnB. I occasionally get visitors passes for family or friends that come to visit (so they can get resident guest golf rates) and it’s free and easy to get them, so I suspect some AirBnB owners get them for their customers/renters???
Old 07-03-2023, 06:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,648 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
In general, yes. But not the guest ID you get when you have guests.

I think it’s called a Resident ID - it’s $50 for 2. Gives the resident ID holder access to everything owners have.
I THINK the owner (i.e. renter) needs to turn in their green ID card to be eligible to get the Residnet ID card though.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, kids, villages, today, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.