Interesting conversation today

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2023, 05:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,314 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I am currently up north in Massachusetts and went out to do some errands today. When I pulled into a parking lot a young women noticed I have Florida plates on my car and came over to strike up a conversation. She said they used to go to the beach towns but it has gotten too expensive, so they now rent AirBnB’s in the Villages so their kids can use all the beautiful pools and they can go to the town squares. She said it’s the cheapest way her and her friends can take their kids away on a family vacation in Florida and have access to so many fun things to do.
A very resourceful millennial.

Last edited by rustyp; 06-30-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcaputo77 View Post
You would not have. How do families, at the family pools interfere with your peace and joy? You love that they exist because it gives you another thing to complain about.
It’s not just the people at the pools. It is the constant coming and going of people who do not follow the rules, park all over the street, have loud parties and disrupt what was sold to us as an over 55 retirement community.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:45 AM

Ironic, I had the same conversation with a sales clerk in a department store yesterday in Virginia. She asked where I lived and I said The Villages. She responded with “we go there all the time with the kids.” Airbnb.
We have 2 Airbnbs 3 houses down from us. Different People in and out all the time.
One is owned by an investor who lives in Naples, Fl.
Nothing will ever be done, it’s too out of control.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:46 AM
Veteran member

If the crowd is underage, then why didn’t someone go to the rec center and have the attendant check for id’s? They do this at the pickleball courts and they should be doing this more all around the villages. If people are running around the pools, report them. If they are having fun, and they have id’s, let them have fun
Old 06-30-2023, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,934 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
We have relatives who chose a 55 plus life style community in Arkansas, and relatives who also chose a senior life style and golf community in Tennessee. BOTH are now experiencing a number of very unpleasant experiences since one of the communities does have a list of restrictions on owners renting out: renters must also be 55 or older, no rental periods of less than a month, must PURCHASE a separate "gate pass" no matter how short the visit, but, NONE of these are enforced, in fact, the local police do NOT enforce community restrictions and rules, and the community HOA administration never made ANY plan for enforcement of these "restrictions" and employ NO "enforcers"... so as they told us, So same there, nightly rentals, weekly rentals ... they don't like it all !
Well, here are a few current Air B&B statistics to support that the fad may be over,
OR that the Air B&B owners are leaving one area to find other areas which are more profitable

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 7.03.07 AM.jpg
Views:	1139
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	99079  
Old 06-30-2023, 06:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoboy View Post
I guess none of the people on this post were every teenagers. I can only wish I had a place like this to come and see my grandparents/parents, knowing that they are in a happy, safe community. These are visitors, not residents......if it's really that hard to deal with, move..... please.
Please tell us you are NOT serious. A place for TEENAGERS to come. The OP is NOT talking about well-behaved kids visiting grandparents, she is talking about groups of UNRELATED teens RENTING short term at Airbnb's in TV, an ostensibly 55+ community. Maybe you should try living next to one of these flop houses where unruly vacationers break the rules, party to 3 AM, park in your driveway and disrespect your property.

Something needs to be done before it is too late.
Old 06-30-2023, 06:29 AM

I'm glad I live in the north end, very few airbnb and verbos. Hardly any problem with too many young people ar the pools, they like it down south and we like it that way.
Old 06-30-2023, 06:41 AM

Wow - you begrudge others of enjoying the villages by renting an airbnb with young children? Sounds like the kind of villager I would not want to know. Life is for everyone, not just the privileged (at least you think you are) that live in the "city" called The Villages. I, too, own homes there and up north. I would welcome that lady and her children anytime. Sad how "old" people become. This is one big reason I could never live in TV full time - I welcome the joy younger people bring to life and love to hear their aspirations and dreams in a conversation.
Old 06-30-2023, 06:43 AM

Each area has "family pools, adult pools, and sports pools". I'm pretty sure renters are given passes but that still doesn't allow them to go to the adult or sports pools. If you go to a family pool, chances are there are going to be kids there. So why not just go to one of the others. On a side note... I was at an adult pool where a guy in his 70's had a blue tooth speaker turned up pretty loud playing 1940's and 1950's music (it must have been a playlist because there was no DJ talking). He got in the pool floating around while his tunes blasted over the village's radio being played. So it's not just kids who can disrupt ''your time'' at the pool. I happen to like listening to the villages radio. It's played at an appropriate level. They play a nice assortment of songs and I get to hear what's going on in the villages. Some of us enjoy seeing kids having fun. I think it keeps me young (but maybe just in my mind). LoL. Parking and parties etc. should be handled by law enforcement so I guess you could be that person and drop a dime on them.
Old 06-30-2023, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msilagy View Post
Wow - you begrudge others of enjoying the villages by renting an airbnb with young children? Sounds like the kind of villager I would not want to know. Life is for everyone, not just the privileged (at least you think you are) that live in the "city" called The Villages. I, too, own homes there and up north. I would welcome that lady and her children anytime. Sad how "old" people become. This is one big reason I could never live in TV full time - I welcome the joy younger people bring to life and love to hear their aspirations and dreams in a conversation.
Another delusional post devoid of a basis in reality. YES I begrudge "others" renting short term with children. This is a 55+ community, not a playground for children. If you enjoy " the joy younger people bring to life", move to a community that has that demographic. But DO NOT buy here and try to change TV into something YOU like. Again, we're not talking about grandkids visiting for a week or 2, we are talking about loud, obnoxious short term renters who couldn't care less about their neighbors or this community.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,730 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Please tell us you are NOT serious. A place for TEENAGERS to come. The OP is NOT talking about well-behaved kids visiting grandparents, she is talking about groups of UNRELATED teens RENTING short term at Airbnb's in TV, an ostensibly 55+ community. Maybe you should try living next to one of these flop houses where unruly vacationers break the rules, party to 3 AM, park in your driveway and disrespect your property.

Something needs to be done before it is too late.
Indeed.

What?
Old 06-30-2023, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I am currently up north in Massachusetts and went out to do some errands today. When I pulled into a parking lot a young women noticed I have Florida plates on my car and came over to strike up a conversation. I would put her in her late 20’s and she had a couple young kids with her. She said she loves Florida and wanted to know if I lived there, so I told her we have a second home in Florida. She asked where and I told her at a retirement community called the Villages. Her response was that her and her friends love that place and have been there several times and can’t wait to go back. She said they used to go to the beach towns but it has gotten too expensive, so they now rent AirBnB’s in the Villages so their kids can use all the beautiful pools and they can go to the town squares. She said it’s the cheapest way her and her friends can take their kids away on a family vacation in Florida and have access to so many fun things to do.

So much for the Villages being a 55+ retirement community with amenities reserved for its residents and guests. Something seriously needs to be done about this out of control AIRBnB thing! I’m not making this up!
I thought we live in a "Free State". Therefore, people are free to rent to whomever they wish!
Old 06-30-2023, 07:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,890 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
LOL, I'm not making this up either; you should have been at Churchill rec center two days ago. The pool was filled with teens, possibly high school senior (?) possibly college freshmen ? Males and females, many different ages and races, came in two or three extra large golf carts. At first I thought perhaps they were students from our charter high school just having a swim party. Lots of harmless (at first but got quite dangerous as the day went on) horse play (girls riding on the shoulders of boys, a lot of running and horse play on the deck bricks around pool, running full out and diving in the deepest end, shoving each other into the pool with.... another person ON THEIR SHOULDERS, but not really bothering any others, except it got very dangerous and went on for hours. Since it was impossible to read because they were very very loud, and because of the loud music at rec center pools, after a couple hours everyone had left, probably going to a smaller neighborhood that does not (usually) have younger people or outside music. After about 2 hours, I was the only adult left in the entire pool area and it was quite early yet. I was so close to the area that has the covering, the overhead fan, and several tables (where they had camped out for the day), that I could clearly hear their conversations as various ones used their cell phones. Apparently, they were at least 17, 19, but did have a few who seemed to be 15 or 16 but a brother or sister of one of the 18, 19 year olds. They had (again apparently) rented an entire home here, and drove down in a van, without parents, to celebrate high school graduation before going off to various colleges (it was easy to over hear their conversations about where they were heading this fall), but there were no adults over 21 with them the entire day, and, various ones would sit from time to time and call home, tell their parents what a great time they were having, and ask things like " what's going on in Chicago, is it hot ?" I quickly picked up that none of them were hear visiting grand parents. And they would talk about going to the squares for free entertainment every night, and how they were at one of pools right then but there were so many pools here, one young lady said, "mom, no, no, there is no way I'd ever be able to send a picture of every one of them (meaning so many pool". I was just amazed, thinking of the "old days" .....LOL... when I'd do to Saddle brook, or Pimlico, etc. and sure enough, I'd just get in the water and the "pool guard" would ask us to get out and please show them our resident cards or guess past if a guest, same over at El Santiago rec center, you had to show your ID at rec center pools just like at the country club pools. And our grown ADULT OVER 21 children could not go over to Pimlico or Saddle-brook swimming with out us ! Things have certainly changed. Over the Easter/Spring vacation I met some lovely young women for Indiana. All were students and on the university golf team. I talked with one of them at the Pilmico pool, she said for spring break, being none drug users and non drinkers, they had rented two large homes here, one with it's own pool, and they could sun and swim and play so many golf courses for half the price they could go to Mexico with the drugging and drinking crowd for spring break, and they loved the gyms that allow AB&B, etc. renters to pay daily and weekly fees so they were able to work out and stay in shape. The ones I met were such lovely young people and I told them, I follow golf closely, especially our USA collegiate young women who hope to make the tour one day ! I'm sure their parents were happy about the mature decision to just rent here and spend spring break staying in shape in a "relatively" safer environment ! I do believer things have changed so drastically since we bought a lot here and delayed building on it for a time, The Villages is well know all over the United States now, as one of the lowest priced (might not seem like that to us, the residents, but to others it's a real bargain) golf resorts in all of Florida, and again, I use the word "relatively" safe (as safe a place as any resort anywhere these days) place and all inclusive resort, except you have hundreds of food options or can prepare some of your own meals in the much better kitchens than any vacation condo we've ever rented ! It's gone from a sleepy little senior community to a very desirable and affordable resort.
That’s scary. We all know what the Spring Break crowd does in parts of Florida. Often 8-12 kids will rent a two or three bedroom house, and they don’t really care about how much they damage it or how much noise they make. Some will be nice, but they are there to party. This could get out of hand fast here. There may be owners willing to rent for a week to a crowd of partiers for twice or three times the normal rental rate and even provide daily stacks of towels and spend $500 a week on clean-up. And they won’t care about the neighbors. The money is too good.

We need strictly enforced rental rules, such as 55 or older only, two people to a house, no children, two renter max access to golf courses, etc. That would be bearable. Not great, but bearable. And heavy fines for owners who don’t follow the rules.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
I thought we live in a "Free State". Therefore, people are free to rent to whomever they wish!
Not exactly. You have to follow the rules that you read prior to purchase. Communities can place restrictions on number of rentals per year, minimum rental period (ie 30 days). I can tell you the rules for changing governing docs in an HOA and COA, however TV is a POA.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

Even if they pass some restrictions, they would be nearly impossible to enforce when it comes to short-term renters.

Most are just private business transactions which probably include cash, no paper trail, and probably not paying taxes on it.

These people are in and out so fast by the time somebody investigated these folks are gone.

Especially with the size of TV it would never be enforceable and they’re not going to waste resources trying to enforce it.

So either you live with it or move to a smaller community where it would be enforceable.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, kids, villages, today, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.