Internet providers

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2023, 01:16 PM
Default Internet providers

Wondering who people are using for internet providers. What speeds or plans are working well for you?

We are not big TV watchers and currently use Netflix, Roku, Redbox and my NFL+ at the moment (up in CT). Not thinking we will want cable TV.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,336 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingfromCT View Post
Wondering who people are using for internet providers. What speeds or plans are working well for you?

We are not big TV watchers and currently use Netflix, Roku, Redbox and my NFL+ at the moment (up in CT). Not thinking we will want cable TV.
Depends on where you are moving to? Several good providers but they don't all support all areas of The Villages.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-20-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Depends on where you are moving to? Several good providers but they don't all support all areas of The Villages.
We will live near Spanish Springs in the Village of Santo Domingo
Old 01-20-2023, 02:27 PM

We use Comcast and have been happy with their service, mostly... We have a bundle with phone, internet and Cable TV. About the only issue's I've had with them as been the Cable TV service and a lot of Pixilation. It has been reported many times and we are seriously thinking of cutting the cord on the Cable TV service. Internet has been rock solid and we get more than 100mb upload and download speed varies anywhere from 20-100mb.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
We will live near Spanish Springs in the Village of Santo Domingo
Your choices are Comcast (Xfinity) or CenturyLink. You will receive varied options on both services. I use Comcast and am happy with the service. You do not need their fastest service!
Old 01-20-2023, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,015 Times in 5,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
We use Comcast and have been happy with their service, mostly... We have a bundle with phone, internet and Cable TV. About the only issue's I've had with them as been the Cable TV service and a lot of Pixilation. It has been reported many times and we are seriously thinking of cutting the cord on the Cable TV service. Internet has been rock solid and we get more than 100mb upload and download speed varies anywhere from 20-100mb.
I think you mean that your download speed is 100 mbps and your upload speed is lower. Xfinity sells their internet service based on the download speed, not upload. I have their 800 mbps service, and I have no pixelation when streaming. But, when you are using cable TV, you are not actually streaming, unless you don't have a cable box. If you have a wired Xfinity cable box, you don't even need the internet service to watch TV. If so, you shouldn't have pixelation.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:47 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,240 Times in 777 Posts

Verizon has wireless internet here in the Villages. If you are not happy with your cable type service, give them a try.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:

century link $50/mo
Old 01-20-2023, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

I can't believe it but we are with Xfinity for internet 200 Jiggawatts and Xfinity for unlimited Data on the mobile phone. $50 for internet and $30 for each cell phone. They just hooked up our new house and they were early and they called first. They really have changed for the better. I'm loving it.

We did have Centurylink where we did live and I didn't like it so much.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:25 AM
Default Low cost internet

I have Quantum Fiber. $30 for 200mbps download and upload because it is Fiber Optic. I have my own router mesh system or you can rent their system for $15 per month. Quantum took over CenturyLink which I did not like DSL. Had it for 3 months now and it is awesome. Finally feel like I'm not getting taken advantage of from a cable company. Quantum and YouTube TV $103 per month instead of over $200 for Xfinity
Old 01-21-2023, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,015 Times in 5,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I can't believe it but we are with Xfinity for internet 200 Jiggawatts and Xfinity for unlimited Data on the mobile phone. $50 for internet and $30 for each cell phone. They just hooked up our new house and they were early and they called first. They really have changed for the better. I'm loving it.

We did have Centurylink where we did live and I didn't like it so much.
I had to look it up. Jiggawatt is another way to say gigawatt, which is measurement for electrical power. Actually, what I think you have is 200 megabytes per second in Internet download speed.

Do you ever check to see how much mobile data you are using on your cell phones? I have the by-the-gig option, and have never used more than 1gb of mobile data, and my cell phone bill is $13.65 per month. Using the phone for calls does not use any mobile data. You also don't use data when you are connected to wifi. In The Villages, almost everywhere I go, there is a free wifi connection available. In many areas, I am automatically connected to an Xfinity wifi hotspot.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-21-2023 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I had to look it up. Jiggawatt is another way to say gigawatt, which is measurement for electrical power. Actually, what I think you have is 200 megabytes per second in Internet download speed.

Do you ever check to see how much mobile data you are using on your cell phones? I have the by-the-gig option, and have never used more than 1gb of mobile data, and my cell phone bill is $13.65 per month. Using the phone for calls does not use any mobile data. You also don't use data when you are connected to wifi. In The Villages, almost everywhere I go, there is a free wifi connection available. In many areas, I am automatically connected to an Xfinity wifi hotspot.
Small detail: download speed is measured in megabits per second.

Mobile data usage can vary greatly depending on how you use your service. We use significantly more data on our phones but that is most likely from google maps and streaming music while traveling. As you point out, in the Villages you may not use much mobile data since many businesses and all (?) rec centers have wifi. (I still need to enable the Xfinity hotspots on my phone)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-21-2023, 07:37 AM

Had Comcast for cable tv and price went to $230 so we cut the cord and went to T-Mobile - when it worked it was great but in six weeks it went down 7 times so we cancelled and went back to Comcast for internet only for $55 per month and YouTube tv for $70 - so saving $100 per month- also using fire stick max which is great!! Comcast cable has two price increases per year — YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED - beware!!
Old 01-21-2023, 07:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,904 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:

I use Comcast without a TV package with the second slowest speed. Works fine. I watch Netflix and Amazon Prime on a Smart TV. HOWEVER, I live alone. A couple years ago a friend lived with me for three months and watched a different station at the same time I watched mine and had her own iPhone and iPad. That many devices used too much bandwidth and slowed down the speed of everything, so the TV didn’t work as well. Using a faster speed from Comcast that handles twice as many devices solved the problem, but for a lot more money. I think I’m presently paying about $65 a month. If you are a couple that only watches one TV at a time, you can also get by with the second slowest.

Some parts of The Villages are now able to get 5G unlimited streaming for that price, including phone and all. In my neighborhood, that isn’t yet available. If it is where you are living, that may be a good deal for you.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:52 AM

We bundled with Comcast/Xfinity and are totally happy. Love the "talk" to remote for the channel changing. We have no problem with phone or computer.
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, providers, nfl+, redbox, netflix

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.