Invisible Pet Fence

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Default Re: Invisible Pet Fence

It seems crazy to me that a person can't install a tasteful looking fence for pet control , and please don't restrict my purchasing chooses to a villa. Oh that's right I can chose to shock my dog. Most dog owners love and care for dogs and the dogs are an important part of families. My wife and I want to live at TV and have been dreaming of this for several years, but I will not be force to chose between my little dog that I love and trust me, and a house.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Platinum member

I too am a walker, bike rider, jogger. The last thing I want to do is come up against a vicious critter. I admit those dogs that are temperamental need to be more closely scrutinized by their owners. Our dog is only out long enough to take care of business. Once familiar with the area I guess you know which one to watch for. That still doesn't justify a free roaming barking dog in someones yard that wants to eat you for a snack. The only solution for that would be to confine the dog to the sides and back yard - away from the street. I realize most yards are small and owners want to give their pets as much freedom as possible but the pet owner should also be responsible. And if you believe this I've got some land......

Steve
Old 07-29-2007, 08:16 PM

Am I not understanding something here? I have not moved to TV yet (in the process), but during our previous visits, we were told that no pets over 40 pounds were allowed there, and no outside pets period. So there would be no barking, snarling dogs (I am a bicyclist too) to worry about, night or day. Was that just a bunch of sales talk? Are people allowed to have outside dogs (especially) running around loose, i.e. no restraints? We were told "The Villages does not want your pets scaring our wildlife, and we don't want our wildlife eating your pets." Was that just a cute saying?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:47 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdebbie
Am I not understanding something here? I have not moved to TV yet (in the process), but during our previous visits, we were told that no pets over 40 pounds were allowed there, and no outside pets period. So there would be no barking, snarling dogs (I am a bicyclist too) to worry about, night or day. Was that just a bunch of sales talk? Are people allowed to have outside dogs (especially) running around loose, i.e. no restraints? We were told "The Villages does not want your pets scaring our wildlife, and we don't want our wildlife eating your pets." Was that just a cute saying?
99.9% of the pet owners in the Villages have their pets under complete control all of the time. .1% allow their dogs to walk without a leash, but the owners are usually near-by. In four years, I have seen fewer than 5 dogs roaming unattended. There are strict leash laws in both the Villages and the counties, but .1% of the people are above the law.
There is nothing for you to worry about. In my case, I am always overly reactive to those few people who believe the laws are for other people. The Villages has no police department or enforcement personell. The most they can do is send somebody from the Deed Restriction office to the owner and tell them to leash their dog. If they do not comply, it is up to YOU to call the sheriff, if it becomes a problem.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:21 AM

Why not let people install a tastefully built fence a portion of they're backyards.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

Tasteful fences? First, you'd have to define tasteful to everyone's liking and then write it into the convenants. Seeing how TV manages things, every dog owner wanting a fence would have exactly the same kind of fence and one more thing to enforce. But a major drawback of fences in this community, IMHO, is that fences would detract from the open feel here (save for Courtyard Villas which I recommend if you have a critter).
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 07-30-2007, 01:51 PM

It is against the deed restriction to have a PET outside that is not on a leash. But if you insist on not following the rule, PETCO has a new version, one that you do not install a wire, but works off a radio type frequency that you set the radius for your pet, and when they approach that distance it beeps then if they go farther ZAP. It installs on a wall.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Gold member

Okay LG,

I get it. The dog has to be on a leash and therefore I would be breaking that law if I had an invisible fence and he was out on his own . Guess it's a Villa or take the poor old guy out for a walk on the leash. Thanks for the clarification. As I said before, the last thing I want to do is shock him into submission.
Beady
Old 07-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Veteran member

The no fence rule is a good one. We have lived in other communities where everyone had a different fence and it looked like a badly put together quilt! The Villages prides itself on the appearance as well as the lifestyle. We only looked at courtyard villas because our 10 year old mixed breed is our baby an we wanted her to have a good "retirement" as well. She had the run of a very large backyard in Virginia and has never been allowed to roam about without a leash when not behind the fence.

I don't think it is appropriate to have any animal outside without the owner regardless of invisible fence or not. It just isn't neighborly. Just because we love animals doesn't mean that everyone has to be subject to our likes and dislikes.

I also cannot abide people who walk their dogs or "walk" them with the golf cart and then don't clean up after them. These animals are our responsibility, not our neighbors.

Again, I am glad about the fence rule and we accepted that when we decided to retire here. We elected to handle it with the purchase of a corner lot and courtyard villa. We believe we have the best of both worlds an don't feel restricted at all. We have met almost all of our neighbors and many of us bought here for the same reason.

Good luck to all and remember, part of our pride in TV is that we aren't a mishmosh of lawn ornaments and various types of fences! You also won't see a neon pink garage door or a car on cinder blocks and I am all for neatness!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Platinum member

Tampa, FL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.