Keep Garage Door Open Slightly- How?

Old 02-27-2024, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miboater View Post
On my Linear opener if I press the remote when the garage door is going up it will stop in that position. Press it again it will go down.
That's how our Chamberlin openers work. Also our Genie at other house.
Frankly, have never heard of an opener that doesn't work this way.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:37 AM
Default Door partly open

There are critters out there. Just say’n.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
When it's hot I see some garage doors open about a foot- I assume to let the heat out. My garage seems to have just 2 positions- Open and Shut. Is there a way to program it to accomplish this? Thanks.
I’m intrigued by people who want to leave their garage doors open, add screens, vents, etc. I mean, garages are hot in the south. How much time are you spending in the garage? I can understand if you have a small shop or something, I guess. I’ve lived in the south my whole life and never even thought of cracking the garage door during the day. I’m in my air conditioned car within seconds. To each their own, I suppose, just interesting.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:29 AM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Cool breeze roll screens

Cool Breeze roll screens, retractable screen doors, interior motorized shades,privacy-hurricane shutters and awning.
We manufacture our products in Odessa, Fl and have the Longest warranty,quality and service in the industry.
888-896-8935
coolbreezerollscreens@Yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	e4502466c3437dd19e6dd7b828faeda9.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	103092  
888-896-8935
coolbreezerollscreens@yahoo.com
http://www.talkofthevillages.com/
http://www.coolbreezeincorporated.com/
www.facebook.com/coolbreeze.screens

Old 02-29-2024, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,527 Posts

Yes, some garage doors can be stopped leaving a small opening. Some have already given their suggestions in that regard. The garage opening screen works very well for some ventilation and privacy, but the air is not going to be any cooler than it is outside. I had a screen and enjoyed working in the garage without passing by neighbors stopping to chat when I was busy. I try never to leave my garage door open very long because I have seen snakes and lizards, as well as wasps enter while I had it open. Last year, I finally installed foam insulation on the doors and it is better than I imagined. Before, if I brushed up against the garage door while the sun was shining on it, it would actually burn my elbow/arm. Now the garage is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I have not yet seen the necessity of installing a split unit in my garage, but that is easy to do also, and have been in garages with them and they are nice. If I was going to spend a lot of time in my garage, I would consider a split unit A/C.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,195 Times in 839 Posts

Let me see if all you Einsteins can help me understand this hot air rises thing from high school physics. If it is 75 in my house and 60 outside and I want some fresh air there is no point opening the bottom panel of my window because hot air rises.

If I have a two story home, I certainly would not think about opening the main floor windows, just the second floor, because hot air rises.

And in the winter when I want to keep my home warm I don't have to worry about my front door not having an insulation barrier on the bottom edge because the cool air won't come in because hot air rises?

I noticed that even if my garage door is all the way up, there still is a significant space in my garage that is higher than the top of the opening. I guess no cool air will come into my garage because a low opening does nothing if the hot air can just hide higher up.

Seems to me that if there is a temperature difference between in my garage and the great outdoors that any hole at any height affords an opportunity for heat to move from the hotter side to the cooler side. But I guess not because hot.....

Now has anyone thought about how leaving the door open might allow animal entry?

Old 02-29-2024, 10:30 AM
Gold member

I don't believe a crack at the bottom of the garage door will have much of an effect on heat in the garage. And the snake possibility is very real - I had three different black snakes make an appearance in my garage. Then I put in screens and the problem ended until the day I was working in the garage with the door and screens open, and a black snake came right in as I was running a circular saw. Scared the devil out of me, but the spinning saw in his face probably scared him more.

Tags
garage, open, positions-, shut, program

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.