Lake Sumter Landing open.95+% NO MASKS

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2020, 09:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
It feels like we're living and watching a slow-motion Jonestown.
sorry that was a different Kool-aid.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Tal, My Old Friend, this is one mistake that will fix STUPID. It can put Your Lights Out.

I don't think I've ever shared deeply my feelings about the mask and distancing thing. Why should I do it now? What good would it do? I asked the opinion of my Favorite TOTV'S Doctors and my Primary Doctor. The answers came back the same and I'm GRATEFUL for their KNOWLEDGE and decided to follow their DIRECTION. Not the direction of the armchair and political Jr. WebMD doctors. I don't care about anybody's thoughts unless they are a Professional.

I can tell you that when you have lost several people to the Virus (DEAD) that you knew from your old Hometown and people that you are close within the Villages got infected but didn't pass (ALIVE) it certainly makes it real. The people we are close with in The Villages reported that they tested positive and for some reason, it absolutely froze me up for about 3 weeks. I couldn't believe that they got it. I didn't pry and didn't preach. I froze up. It was a couple of really rough weeks. I didn't feel like even talking which is not like me.

This is a Community of Adults. Some have been Blessed with Patience and others haven't. What's the big deal about a little anxiety and depression and staying home for another 6 to 12 months and then living a full life again? For the life of me, I can't see why its an emergency to risk your very life to go to the Square or Disney or whatever.

I wish everyone well and even though I strenuously disagree with the early trajectory towards returning to the old days I respect that they have a choice to make. I just hope their choice doesn't get me or mine sick.

Our kids have decided to keep their children home from school for the rest of this year and I'm thrilled about the conclusion they came to. Financially it ain't easy. They just each just bought new houses but put the kids first not the almighty dollar. I blocked their phone $$NUMBERS$$. Just Kidding.
Because if this world shut down again for another year, we would be in a DEPRESSION! ! There are a lot of people who live in the villages that work! I do medical billing and was laid off because they shut hospitals down and we didn’t have enough COVID patients in the hospital to supply staff. You seen what happened to unemployment! Seriously you want the world to shut down for 6-12 months. Easy to think that way when you are retired and don’t have to worry about a paycheck! But what about retired people who live on just social security and all the older people you see working cause they need to! What would happen to them! And we who are still working pay into social security we stop working for a year, money won’t go into social security. Look how many people lost their jobs at Disney? Pretty soon we will have to start paying state and city taxes cause Disney won’t be able too. Do you know that? Ohio I paid city and state tax, here you don’t because of the tourist. They stop coming we will pay taxes.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:50 AM

Google Image Result for https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/791/360/5e5.jpg404 Not Found
Since masks do more to protect those around you, this shows how few care about others.
Then again, there has for quite some time been a disappointingly widespread reputation that our community has a large population of self indulgent folk.

Still overworked in Rural Md......
......visiting our TV homes when possible
Old 10-06-2020, 04:57 AM

Anyone remember Mrs Kravitz on the show Bewitched? Sure do have a lot of those in The Villages. LOL
Old 10-06-2020, 05:01 AM

In a couple weeks we will know if this decision starts a super spreader event . Pretty scary
Old 10-06-2020, 05:01 AM

Off on your surveillance ride to tattle....it met your expectations
Old 10-06-2020, 05:17 AM

No one said you have to be smart to live in the Villages. Stupid people everywhere.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:39 AM

Wow. Now we get to experience the wrath of the self righteous mask wearers who actually think that their mask is protecting them from a virus which can easily pass right through it and also enter thru their eyes and ears. Keep drinking the Kool aid of fake science.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:56 AM

Stay Home!
Old 10-06-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
Wow. Now we get to experience the wrath of the self righteous mask wearers who actually think that their mask is protecting them from a virus which can easily pass right through it and also enter thru their eyes and ears. Keep drinking the Kool aid of fake science.
Wow .... I really hope you don't believe this deep down. The science is clear. My mask protects you, and yours protects me. If you choose not to wear one, it tells me and others around you how much to care for your fellow man.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,663 Times in 1,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We took a short ride just to see how things were going the first night.

Surprised at the crowd level. More surprising and disappointing was almost nobody wearing masks.
Outside bars and tables shoulder to shoulder.
Even the strollers on streets surrounding the square.

I would have never ever guessed there would be more than 90% with no masks or social distancing.

Totally surprised! Extremely disappointed!

The clock is running....time will tell.
Maybe they will become infected, maybe they won't. Maybe they will become infected and never show any symptoms, like MOST folks. Over 99% survival rate, right?
How many have died from the virus in the Villages lately? I've seen a couple testing positive, but where are the deaths attributed to the virus?

There are a lot of folks concerned about what others do, but that is human nature. Is it worry or jealousy? Folks having a good time after being shut in for months is a bad thing? Not so sure it's a bad thing to see folks being happy.

I guess for some, the glass is ALWAYS half empty. Are these folks being foolish for getting out for some fresh air and entertainment? Maybe, maybe not. If they don't get sick, will someone still admonish them for taking chances?

Personally, I am not going to fault others for attempting to enrich their lives with some fresh air and entertainment. I won't be there, but I am not going to sneak around, spying on them from a distance either. I don't care what others are doing. I will concern myself with my own activities and those of my family. To put is civilly, I plan to mind my own business and let others do what they wish. I saw someone riding a motorcycle without a helmet the other day. I saw a golf cart being driven by a little child the other day. I saw several golf carts run stop signs without even slowing on several occasions. And shame on that guy smoking a cigar in his birdcage down the street. Doesn't he know that he is putting his life in jeopardy?

Millions have been infected with the virus in this country and have survived. Who's for taking a chance that you can be one of the lucky ones? Beware that some folks are still dying from the virus.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:04 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,567 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I drove around Brownwood tonight. They had all entrances but one blocked off (they were taking the temperature of people with tickets). There were a fair number of workers in yellow vests patroling the sidewalk around the square making sure people didn't stand and watch the band. There were people sitting across the street from the square... some brought chairs and sat in front of vacant buildings. I saw one couple dancing in the square.
I did a quick drive around too and was happy to see how well the social distancing was being monitored. Great job! If Sumnter is crowded like the original poster alleges, theres other squares to go to if youre that desperate for music
Old 10-06-2020, 06:08 AM

In the end it comes down to taking responsibility for yourself. If you are uncomfortable being in a crowd, stay away. If your risk tolerance is higher, increase your exposure by going to restaurants, bars, barbershops, massage therapists, hospitals for non-COVID issues, etc. Complaining about people not wearing masks is not very productive.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

To mask or not to mask....depends if somebody you know or a family member has covid or died from it. Hypocrites!

The notion that covid is one political party prevalent makes no sense what so ever (as if that mattered!).

My expectation was, at 8 months into the pandemic, that there would be at least a 50-50 mask presence.......not almost zero.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:15 AM

Brownwood was not crowded and spaced out nicely. We sat in bleachers and no one sat in front , behind or next to us. Everyone wore mask while entering and leaving. I didn’t notice the bars. It was a beautiful evening.
If you don’t feel comfortable , don’t go.
Closed Thread

Tags
masks, surprised, shoulder, square, surrounding

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.