Lawn mowing

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Default Lawn mowing

Why do the folks that mow lawns in The Villages insist on scalping the lawn when they mow? I just spent $2K having major areas of sod replaced by Cottom's and they said to not mow shorter than three inches. If you can see the roots after mowing it is too short. Your lawn will be healthier and need less water if it is not mowed to the ground! Any comments by the grass experts out there? I have been following this guideline for the past year and my lawn looks much better than my neighbors scalp jobs.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Lawn mowing

Think it depends on the lawn service. The one we use is good and does not scalp our lawn but I know what you are talking about. When we were looking for a home in the Villages, I commented to our Village realtor about the shape of some of the lawns and he said they were being cut too short. Think your neighbors need to change services.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Sage

Up north I leave my bluegrass lawn high during the summer and lower in the spring and fall. Down in FLA it really depends on which grass you have. I know of at least 3 different types of grass that are planted in TV. Here is a link on grass height suggestions:

http://www.organiclawncaretips.com/c...for_grass.html

Old 06-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Lawn mowing - Empire Zoysia

For owners of newer homes who have Empire Zoysia grass, here is a nice article by a proponent of that grass.

http://www.laymanstraining.com/lawn.html

I think he over does his criticism of St. Augustine, though. I had Floratam St. Augustine in South Florida for 15 years and with moderate maintenance (fertilizer twice a year, chinch bug sprays, occasional Brown Patch treatment) it was a perfectly good lawn.

The experts talk about the problem of "thatch buildup." They don't say how long it takes to occur to a serious level. I'm hoping it is no worse than with St. Augustine, where it takes at least 5 years for any significant build up to occur. Normally "thatch" is associated with a build up of dead clippings. I would add to that term the situation, after serveral years of growth, where runners start to layer on top of each other, creating a thick "runner mat" below the blades. Apparently "verticutting" is the preferred solution. I would think this wouldn't have to be done more often than every 4 to 6 years.

Any Empire Zoysia experts out there?

Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 06-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Veteran member

I have seen many lawns cut too short, but I must say the lawn guy that does my lawn does a fantastic job. My lawn looks wonderful. Three of us on my block (all in a row) use the same guy and we have the best lawns on the block.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagal
I have seen many lawns cut too short, but I must say the lawn guy that does my lawn does a fantastic job. My lawn looks wonderful. Three of us on my block (all in a row) use the same guy and we have the best lawns on the block.
May I ask what kind of grass you have and how short does he cut it?? I assume you water once a week and fertilize how often and with what??
Jus Curious
Handie :joke:
Old 06-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,132 Times in 418 Posts
Default Dramatic Difference

We have Empire Zoysia and until about 3 months ago, we were having it fertilized by the largest service in The Villages using a granular fertilizer applied with a broadcast spreader. The lawn looked OK.

About three months ago, I switched to the fertilizer and pest control treatment that is applied along with water thru your irrigation system. How do I say this without giving an unpaid ad? Ahh, phooey...Fertigator!

Wow! What a difference! The grass is noticeably thicker compared to our neighbors and with a richer, green color. And I haven't seen any weeds in the grass or fire ant hills. (I must admit, we didn't have many before switching services.) If you pay in advance as I did, the monthly cost is a little less than our previous service. We couldn't be happier!

Also, when the new system was installed the technician re-set our irrigation system to water only about 2/3 of the time we were watering before. They did say that their system requires less water use and a lower water bill, of course. A "greener footprint", as they say. I guess I do see a reduction in the water bill--maybe $10-12 a month. But they changed the water rates a month or so ago, so I can't tell how much is the new rate and how much is less usage. I guess I'll need to go back and look at the water bills.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Sage

Thanks, Kahuna. Our service comes out a lot for fire ants. The ants come back the next day. I think this time of year is the worst for them. I may have to try __________.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:34 PM

we will not move to TV until October, but we are closing on the home we just purchased in Hadley on July 1st. Consequently, we will need some interim lawn care service. Could you please supply us with contact information for Fertigator? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 PM

Kahuna,

What service do you use? We'll be in our new house in Hemingway in September and will be interested. I think we'll have the same type of grass you have. Thanks.

Pili
Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
May I ask what kind of grass you have and how short does he cut it?? I assume you water once a week and fertilize how often and with what??
Jus Curious
Handie :joke:
St Augustine and mine looks great because I cut my own lawn. My neighbors, however, with one exception, are getting scalped. I think their reasoning is that they don't have to come back and mow as often.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,533 Times in 1,920 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass
Thanks, Kahuna. Our service comes out a lot for fire ants. The ants come back the next day. I think this time of year is the worst for them. I may have to try __________.
Sam, How do you know which anthill has fire ants and which has regular ants?

I think fire ants are bigger and I THINK that there were a lot still alive and kicking of the larger ants, fire ants or not floating in the Odell pool, one day last week. I was afraid of touching them, but pushed as many as I could toward the drain, there were several little ones in the pool and I didn't want them stung, (Those ants were still alive, must be swimmers! > >)or me or Helene either. Yikes!
Old 06-15-2008, 02:56 AM

I told my lawn people to cut at max height for their machine which is 3.5". Have fertilized and watered to get things in shape as previous owner let things go a little. The lawn is coming along just fine and I'm cutting back my water to "off "due to the recent rains. We are consistently getting at least an inch a week here in Piedmont by the gauge. We'll see what happens.
My previous experience with commercial lawn care sez "longer is better". It can be long and still look great. Longer is better for all the reasons previously stated.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1938
St Augustine and mine looks great because I cut my own lawn.* My neighbors, however, with one exception, are getting scalped.* I think their reasoning is that they don't have to come back and mow as often.
*What mower do you use?* Both Toro and Honda self-propelled walk-behinds are rated highest by Consumer Report for bagging and muching.* Cub Cadet is close behind.* A low end rider (approx. $900) is $400 to $500 more than the best walk behinds.

The financial break even point between buying the necessary equipment and paying $50 a month for mowing and blowing will be about a year plus or minus depending on the equipment you get.* (Actually, I do mowing, edging, and then vacuuming with the mower. I don't believe in blowing. It pollutes the air and puts organic debris into our storm water system - it is not a "best management practice.") I figure 5 or 6 years of doing it myself until I'm too old or infirm can save a lot of money...and I've been doing a pretty good job doing it myself for 35 years - while working full time!* Now I'll have all the time in the world.* Yaaaaaaaa!!!
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 06-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Compared to N va $50 a month in TV is cheap, cheap, cheap. I pay anywhere from $35-40 a cut and in spring and fall that can be upwards of $160 a month and twice a month in the summer. This sounds expensive (and is) but it definintely pays off in fall when it comes time to clean up the leaves which is one pain....for about 4-5 straight weeks!

Biggest problem in TV is not the great exercise you get by cutting the grass yourself but where do you store the equipment (lawnmowers, blowers trimmers etc).

NO thank you!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.