Lawn ornament trolls

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2019, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,235 Times in 2,279 Posts

I want to make some clarifications.

The changes I proposed are in the INITIATION of a complaint, as far as I know this is entirely under the control of COMMUNITY STANDARDS, not the individual CDDs etc. All complaints currently go typically by phone to the Community Standards office, and community standards then investigates these complaints.

The charge for registering a complaint and the need to personally present the complaint are aimed to limit overuse of the system by what is commonly referred to as "trolls", and was modified to maintain anonymity.

I do not think IMHO) there would be a legal challenge, as the current system is just the way it is currently being done, and this would be a change in the way it is being done. I do not recall seeing any paperwork that made the existing system of registering a complaint legally binding. As a matter of fact you can file by email, by letter, or in person now, BUT the Community Standards usually suggests not doing this as ALL of these records are public under Florida Law, a walk in verbal complaint, or form with on personal information would still maintain anonymity.

I have not had a chance to investigate when Community Standards meets or how to have the ideas I presented here formally presented for CS to look at.

Just my thoughts.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,459 Times in 2,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Simple question with a simple answer - You can ignore all of the deed restrictions.

Of course, if there is a complaint lodged against you, you will probably have to rectify the situation or you will be forced to leave TV.
Can't wait for the headline.

Thousands evicted from The Villages. Now have no Gnome to go to!

Old 02-10-2019, 10:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,693 Times in 638 Posts

Quote:
Simple question with a simple answer - You can ignore all of the deed restrictions.

Of course, if there is a complaint lodged against you, you will probably have to rectify the situation or you will be forced to leave TV.
OK, for those who disagree with my point of view, here is a question:

What would happen to a person who refuses to follow a deed restriction?

For example, what happens to a person who refuses to remove an offensive lawn ornament?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:

For example, what happens to a person who refuses to remove an offensive lawn ornament?
Here's my answer..... Anyone who lives here SHOULD know the answer already! If you don't they hold classes for people to learn the way the Villages works.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Here's my answer..... Anyone who lives here SHOULD know the answer already!
OK, so what is the answer that "Anyone who lives here SHOULD know"?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Sage

VCDD Community Standards

Do you know what District you live in? Didn't you read all this before buying?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Here's my answer..... Anyone who lives here SHOULD know the answer already! If you don't they hold classes for people to learn the way the Villages works.
Quote:
OK, so what is the answer that "Anyone who lives here SHOULD know"?
I found the answer in about 2 minutes. The Village Community Development Districts site has a lot of information, try it sometime.

What happens if an owner does not bring their property into compliance? There could be up to three notifications with the final notification advising a public hearing date for the case to be heard before the Board of Supervisors for that District. The Board of Supervisors make the final enforcement decision on whether there is a finding of guilt against the owner. If the owner is found in violation of the District’s adopted Rule, the Board of Supervisors may impose fines, seek all available legal remedies which may include initiating a lawsuit, seeking an injunction against the owner and placing a lien against the property. Please refer to The resource cannot be found. to view each District’s adopted Rule.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
If the owner is found in violation of the District’s adopted Rule, the Board of Supervisors may impose fines, seek all available legal remedies which may include initiating a lawsuit, seeking an injunction against the owner and placing a lien against the property.
Thanks for finding the punishment that may be inflicted on an owner with an offensive lawn ornament.

After all of those actions are taken, what do you think will happen if the owner still refuses to remove the offending lawn ornament?

In my opinion, the phrase "legal remedies" may including seizing the home and evicting the owner.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

TOTV ithe place of opinions.
As to your question of what happens, call deed compliance.....if you reall must know!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,575 Times in 3,131 Posts

CWGUY: the answer to your question is simple: you can ignore any and all rules and regulations that are not enforced. If a tree falls in the forest, does the forest ranger really give a damn? If he doesn't - then go ahead and chop down the tree.

You'll have to live with your own conscience knowing that you violated the rules. You'll also have to live with the potential for other people to discover that they too can chop down trees without consequence, and eventually waking up one morning to realize the forest is now a vast desert wasteland with no trees left.

On the other hand...

You could ask the park ranger if you may have permission to make an exception.

Or you could go to a town meeting, with other people who live near or in the forest, and see if they can make a new rule, that can actually be enforced: you can chop down no more than 2 trees per year, you can get a permit for it, and you have to remove the wood from where it fell. Rangers will be in the area to either supervise or observe, in case of emergency on the scheduled date of chopping.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 02-10-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
CWGUY: the answer to your question is simple: you can ignore any and all rules and regulations that are not enforced. If a tree falls in the forest, does the forest ranger really give a damn? If he doesn't - then go ahead and chop down the tree.
Said the people that live in Bridgeport at Lake Miona !

Sorry....inside joke for people that live here.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,575 Times in 3,131 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for finding the punishment that may be inflicted on an owner with an offensive lawn ornament.

After all of those actions are taken, what do you think will happen if the owner still refuses to remove the offending lawn ornament?

In my opinion, the phrase "legal remedies" may including seizing the home and evicting the owner.
They won't evict someone from their own property. They'd have to go through a whole different process for that.

What they can do is put a lien on the property so when you are ready to sell it (or if your beneficiaries try to sell it after you're dead), the Villages district will get first dibs on the amount of the lien, before the seller (you or beneficiaries or the bank) can touch it.

I believe there is a fine of up to $50 for each day of the infraction. I also believe I read there was a maximum fine, and something happened after that (probably the lien) but I can't remember what exactly that was.

That was in just one of the deed restriction pages I read, in one section of the Villages in Lake County, and I think that particular page was dated some time in 1998.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,313 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I want to make some clarifications.

The changes I proposed are in the INITIATION of a complaint, as far as I know this is entirely under the control of COMMUNITY STANDARDS, not the individual CDDs etc. All complaints currently go typically by phone to the Community Standards office, and community standards then investigates these complaints.

The charge for registering a complaint and the need to personally present the complaint are aimed to limit overuse of the system by what is commonly referred to as "trolls", and was modified to maintain anonymity.

I do not think IMHO) there would be a legal challenge, as the current system is just the way it is currently being done, and this would be a change in the way it is being done. I do not recall seeing any paperwork that made the existing system of registering a complaint legally binding. As a matter of fact you can file by email, by letter, or in person now, BUT the Community Standards usually suggests not doing this as ALL of these records are public under Florida Law, a walk in verbal complaint, or form with on personal information would still maintain anonymity.

I have not had a chance to investigate when Community Standards meets or how to have the ideas I presented here formally presented for CS to look at.

Just my thoughts.
I suspect that having to show your ID to an authority would then make them responsible for recording it which now gets back to the loss of animosity law. I am not going to put the effort into researching that angle. I read the covenants and understood them and agreed to abide by them. I also don't understand the love affair of having a lawn ornament. Decorate the inside of your house. Take my word if you win on lawn ornaments fences will be next.

May I also suggest that the developer has tuned the system exactly they way they want it. They can not be the bad guy in a violation but still have a vehicle to enforce the rules if and when they wish. Best of all worlds for them.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Said the people that live in Bridgeport at Lake Miona !

Sorry....inside joke for people that live here.
Touche
Old 02-10-2019, 02:15 PM

Current system is fine. Follow the rules.
Closed Thread

Tags
restrictions, eves, deed, district, trolls

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.