Leak by Sliding door

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2020, 10:38 AM
Default Leak by Sliding door

Hi, we recently purchased a courtyard villa and was wondering if anyone has had an issue with water leaking in from their sliding glass door or area around sliding glass door located on the side of the house? Water has gotten in somehow and has damaged the rug and wood strip under the rug, seems like it’s been happening for a while do to the rot in the wood strips and damaged concrete under carpet , thanks
Old 09-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Bikeracer2009

I have a new house and the rain does fill up the bottom rail on the sliding glass door during a hard rain. I haven't looked into a solution yet. I cleaned out the mold a few months ago when I first noticed the water. I rarely use the door.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Sliding doors have seal at bottom, also look at track where it attached to floor, it maybe leaking under it between floor and track, look for cracks where wall meets the foundation, water could be leaking in or wicking in from crack especially if you got stucco siding? I suspect hard rain running down sliding glass and leaking in from deteriorated seal especially it the CYV 10 plus years old? Water not pudding in front of the door? If so it may be wicking in from crack below water line?
Old 09-15-2020, 02:23 PM

We have some leaks on ours. And also what amazes me, even the cockroaches can squeeze them through it. We always cleaned up our sliding slot and every time came back for a short time vacation always find something in the sliding door slot. any insects.

#new social media wimkin..
Old 09-15-2020, 04:10 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

That should have been caught in your home inspection when you recently purchased the home.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

check that the drain holes in the bottom outside of the track that they aren't clogged up...this will be a continual maintenance chore

if you are in your 1st year of owning a new home I'd call warranty and have them check it out

we had a similar issue with floor to ceiling sliders in a home down in Ft Lauderdale...we had to drill extra horizonal holes in the tracks for the water to drain quickly so that it wouldn't fill up...that made a huge difference
Old 09-16-2020, 05:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpk180 View Post
Hi, we recently purchased a courtyard villa and was wondering if anyone has had an issue with water leaking in from their sliding glass door or area around sliding glass door located on the side of the house? Water has gotten in somehow and has damaged the rug and wood strip under the rug, seems like it’s been happening for a while do to the rot in the wood strips and damaged concrete under carpet , thanks
Yes, that happened to us. The bottom rail was always dry so we figured the water was coming in under the rail. Called warranty they came out and found that the screw heads in the rail popped off allowing water in underneath as we suspected. This is apparently not uncommon and can be easily fixed.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:42 AM

Thankyou
Old 09-16-2020, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Well, builders build a home in 2 to 3 weeks depending if it’s a Patio Villa or a Premier Home. Just my opinion but if you check out homes they use the same windows appliances doors, ect. ect. because they great a deal on them because I’m guessing they aren’t high quality products. Not just knocking TV. I live in Texas now & it’s the same way, build quick & get deals on home supplies. People have to do some home inspections themselves & don’t wait until you have an issue because it might be to late. Homes aren’t like they use to be. Basically homes today aren’t made to last 50 to 75 yrs. you might think they are, otherwise you wouldn’t be pumping a lot of money in a 5 or 10 yr. old home. Like some of the old 2 story homes.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcommuter View Post
We have some leaks on ours. And also what amazes me, even the cockroaches can squeeze them through it. We always cleaned up our sliding slot and every time came back for a short time vacation always find something in the sliding door slot. any insects.

#new social media wimkin..
I have heard this from other people. I am so glad I don't have a home with a sliding glass door.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:59 PM

Cockroaches don’t have spines and can get in anywhere
Old 09-16-2020, 04:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

OK, I stand corrected! I said the builders build home in 2 to 3 weeks. Someone said they can't build a home in 2 or 3 weeks. We had a Lilac Designer home built in 3 weeks 5 days & we were moving in. That's less than a month. How many subdivisions do the builders start in a month & have 10 to maybe 20 homes started or should I say by someone 1 or 2 homes started. I guess my question really was it's a month or 2 months at the longest that homes are on the market already. To build a home just about anywhere else in the U.S. it takes about 6 months, we built 9 homes & 6 months was the shortest time to get built & that was with 3 builders. So to have 20 builders starting a home it's just a matter of a couple of weeks but I'll say for the sake of this person a few weeks. I'll still say 1 home with 20 builders only takes about 3 weeks at the longest & maybe a Patio or Courtyard maybe less time. I apologize to the person that corrected me for the quick built homes in TV, I'm sorry!
Closed Thread

Tags
sliding, door, rug, water, wood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.