Living in a 'senior' community

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Gold member
Default Living in a 'senior' community

Do most of you find that living in an over 55 community makes you feel younger? I hear so many times "I wouldn't live in a senior community, I want to be around young people." In my experience, being around 'young' people makes me feel older, not younger. I can't wait until I have a lot of friends around that I can relate to. It's going to be fun remembering the 60s with someone that has been there. I'm sure I won't be the only one with fond memories of Janis, Bob, Beatles, Woodstock (and lots of other unmentionable stuff!!) Steve is a little older than I am, his youthful memories are more in the 50s so I'm sure we will both have a lot of fun when we get down there permanently! To everyone on TOTV....have a great day and thanks for being here!!!!!

Trish

P.S. Our open house was a bust...one couple...ugh...just lowered the price $33,000....hoping it helps.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
Do most of you find that living in an over 55 community makes you feel younger? I hear so many times "I wouldn't live in a senior community, I want to be around young people." In my experience, being around 'young' people makes me feel older, not younger. I can't wait until I have a lot of friends around that I can relate to. It's going to be fun remembering the 60s with someone that has been there. I'm sure I won't be the only one with fond memories of Janis, Bob, Beatles, Woodstock (and lots of other unmentionable stuff!!) Steve is a little older than I am, his youthful memories are more in the 50s so I'm sure we will both have a lot of fun when we get down there permanently! To everyone on TOTV....have a great day and thanks for being here!!!!!

Trish

P.S. Our open house was a bust...one couple...ugh...just lowered the price $33,000....hoping it helps.
I never think of this as a senior community. Everyone seems so vibrant and always running around doing stuff. I am only 62, but there are those here on my block in their 70s that I can not keep up with (I havemobility issues). Just think of it as the place where all the friends you have not met yet are.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
I never think of this as a senior community. Everyone seems so vibrant and always running around doing stuff. I am only 62, but there are those here on my block in their 70s that I can not keep up with (I havemobility issues). Just think of it as the place where all the friends you have not met yet are.
What a pleasant thought...the friends you have not met yet! I always feel rejuvenated when I come to TV. And it's about time for a fix! I hope you sell your house soon Trish! Good luck!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
I heard that people start to feel younger when they move to TV. I hope to find out soon.

I always loved the saying, "half the world is waiting for the other half to say hello"

Trish - Best wishes on the sale of your home.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Living among a homogenous group has more upsides than down. Yet because of the professionals, trades, etc that are of service to the community there is a mix of many age groups
Old 09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Sage

They call this an "active" adult community, but I think they are being too conservative. I find that talking to people and finding how active and busy they are makes me want to be more active and busy. I'm getting ideas all the time about things that I may like to do. In other over 55 communities I'd probably be watching TV all day. I never thought when I retired that I'd be so busy that I would look forward to a blank day on my calendar.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
They call this an "active" adult community, but I think they are being too conservative. I find that talking to people and finding how active and busy they are makes me want to be more active and busy. I'm getting ideas all the time about things that I may like to do. In other over 55 communities I'd probably be watching TV all day. I never thought when I retired that I'd be so busy that I would look forward to a blank day on my calendar.
I have done more here in the past 2 months then I did in my little isolated mountain community in NM in 2 years. I have lunch on monday with the ladies on the street, tuesday is cards, starting tomorrow I am teaching a beading class, thursday is mah jong, etc. Hubby and I go to trivia on Sunday and out to eat twice a week. MUCH busier than I was before.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
I have done more here in the past 2 months then I did in my little isolated mountain community in NM in 2 years. I have lunch on monday with the ladies on the street, tuesday is cards, starting tomorrow I am teaching a beading class, thursday is mah jong, etc. Hubby and I go to trivia on Sunday and out to eat twice a week. MUCH busier than I was before.
Where do you go to Trivia? Is your beading class for beginners? Where and when? I will be late getting to the Bubble this, late Nov, due to minor knee surgery. But I'd love to attend your beading class, provided it isn't at 7 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 PM

I was at an area grocery store 2 wks ago and a gentleman working there referred to me as "Miss". It made me laugh. As a woman in her late 50s I haven't been called "Miss" in well over 20 yrs. Gotta love it here!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 PM

My wife and I are both 57 years old. I made the observation that being retired here in Maryland, one feels that society has passed us by. We both still feel like we are in our 20's, but we could easily be invisible in this youth oriented world.

In the Villages we feel like kids again. It's wonderful to be seen.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Gold member
Default Woodstock

I was there at Woodstock, Well at least the week after! Does that count? All I remember is mud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post

Trish

Last edited by CarGuys; 09-27-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Gold member
Default On the Road

Again,

Just when you think it won't sell it will. Take a vacation and then you least expect it you will get a call its sold!

Good Luck Trish
Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Gold member

Herv...all ANYONE remembers about Woodstock is the mud....if that! Btw....I've got a 1978 Wing if you want it...think the distance would present a problem tho
Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

The first time my wife and I went to Sumter Landing for the entertainment I looked around and remarked to her that I felt like a freshman in high school -- I was 64 at the time.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
The first time my wife and I went to Sumter Landing for the entertainment I looked around and remarked to her that I felt like a freshman in high school -- I was 64 at the time.
Funny you should say that because tonight we drove our go cart from Tamarind Grove to the Square for the first time and my wife and I both felt we were at a high school dance. Can't remember seeing so many happy people in one place. I hope I never wake up from this dream.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.