Younger Villagers moving in

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2022, 10:14 PM
Default Younger Villagers moving in

I am a 24 year old man, single, no kids, work from home and am looking to buy my first house. I would love to live in the Villages and know about the 80/20 rule when it comes to 55+ communities. I am quiet, and old soul, respectful of others and always maintain a clean living space/ yard. What would be the honest reaction to having a young person live next door?

Last edited by youngvillagertobe; 01-16-2022 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:22 PM

There are some new Villages developments coming that are open to younger people. Look up the Village of Middleton on YouTube. Anyone will be able to live there.

At 24 though, you are NOT an old soul. You are just getting a decent start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngvillagertobe View Post
I am 24 years old, single, no kids, work from home and am looking to buy my first house. I would love to live in the Villages and know about the 80/20 rule when it comes to 55+ communities. I am quiet, and old soul and respectful of others and always maintain a clean living space and yard. What would be the honest reaction to having a young person live next door?
Old 01-16-2022, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I am 24 years old, single, no kids, work from home and am looking to buy my first house. I would love to live in the Villages and know about the 80/20 rule when it comes to 55+ communities. I am quiet, and old soul and respectful of others and always maintain a clean living space and yard. What would be the honest reaction to having a young person live next door?
When my daughter comes to visit, Villagers we do not know come up to her and say “Yay, a young person! Can you help me with my iPhone?”

Be prepared to assist all your neighbors with their electronics.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Seriously? Sounds like another one of "those" threads. Should generate lot's of replies. You didn't state your gender but not sure how your age would fit in with a young person's lifestyle here. I guess you could join the Villages Single's Club. Lots of 70-80 yr old ladies (or men) looking for young guys (or gals). The 24yr old bar scene is very hot here and the nightly music on the squares fits right in with your age group. As long as you clean up after your dog and don't drive your golf cart over 20MPH you should fit right in. Seriously though (LOL) I'm sure a 24yr old can find a more age correct community in central Florida or anywhere in Florida but if the golden oldies and golden age is your thing then welcome. EDIT: Sorry, no Costco or Trader Joe's within 50 or so miles.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 01-16-2022 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:12 PM
Veteran member

Why not wait like everyone else... You are likely an awesome neighbor and may be an exception, but many younger people just do not have a compatible life style. They have multiple dogs, tons of belongings, and multiple cars that overflow onto the street. What if you decide to have children later on - I guess you could sell and move elsewhere? Check out Middleton when it opens.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:31 AM

Our 26 year old daughter lives with us. On multiple occasions, (we have been here 6 months) people have come up to her and asked "can I help you." when she responds, No, I live here. Every time she gets the "no you can't." We tell her to be as respectful as she can to say "yes I can and yes I do."
Old 01-17-2022, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I am a 24 year old man, single, no kids, work from home and am looking to buy my first house. I would love to live in the Villages and know about the 80/20 rule when it comes to 55+ communities. I am quiet, and old soul, respectful of others and always maintain a clean living space/ yard. What would be the honest reaction to having a young person live next door?
oh hello! We need more like this!
Old 01-17-2022, 06:20 AM
Default 80/20 Rule

The 80/20 rule does not apply here. Yes, Middleton is opening up and younger people can live there. But in most Villages, as I understand it, the rule is that at least one member of the household must be 55 or over and that no one under 18 can remain for more than a month. So, people in their 20s living here (not in Middleton) are living with the parents/relatives. Twenty-somethings do live here, but not at anything like the 20 percent level. I have never encountered a 20 something living here, though again, I know it happens.

I am saying that if having a few people of your age group around you is important to you, that can't be guaranteed. But that may not be important to you.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Seriously? Sounds like another one of "those" threads. Should generate lot's of replies. You didn't state your gender but not sure how your age would fit in with a young person's lifestyle here. I guess you could join the Villages Single's Club. Lots of 70-80 yr old ladies (or men) looking for young guys (or gals). The 24yr old bar scene is very hot here and the nightly music on the squares fits right in with your age group. As long as you clean up after your dog and don't drive your golf cart over 20MPH you should fit right in. Seriously though (LOL) I'm sure a 24yr old can find a more age correct community in central Florida or anywhere in Florida but if the golden oldies and golden age is your thing then welcome. EDIT: Sorry, no Costco or Trader Joe's within 50 or so miles.
OP states he is a man and seems pretty confident about it
Old 01-17-2022, 06:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,156 Times in 890 Posts

I personally love seeing young people around as long as they are respectful of the peaceful environment we enjoy here, which you say you would do. I think you should definitely consider further south where most of the new development and younger people are, but as a somewhat younger person myself at 57 I have felt welcomed in older villages as well. Playing sports is the one drawback at times where once again further south may be better for you.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:37 AM

Re-think that strategy. You don't want to get old before your time.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:40 AM
Veteran member
Default Experience the world

I don't think anyone would mind you living here, but you're really doing yourself a disservice. At this point in your life, you should be enjoying your youth and maybe finding someone you would want to spend the rest of your life with. If I was your age this would be the last place I would want to be.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

The most important thing to consider that if you ever have children you will have to move. Also there is almost no nightlife after 8pm especially south of 466A and during the day almost 100% of the patrons of the restaurants and bars are over 50.

But there are several reasons to live here. It is a very quiet place especially at night and has very little crime. Very few houses have more than two people live here. It is great for commuting to Orlando as the turnpike still flows fairly smoothly.

But if you are a party animal you will be bored stiff.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Look out Cougars, a Cub is moving in!
Old 01-17-2022, 07:25 AM

This is SO wrong..you do NOT have to have one over 55 household member to live in The Villages!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaelane View Post
The 80/20 rule does not apply here. Yes, Middleton is opening up and younger people can live there. But in most Villages, as I understand it, the rule is that at least one member of the household must be 55 or over and that no one under 18 can remain for more than a month. So, people in their 20s living here (not in Middleton) are living with the parents/relatives. Twenty-somethings do live here, but not at anything like the 20 percent level. I have never encountered a 20 something living here, though again, I know it happens.

I am saying that if having a few people of your age group around you is important to you, that can't be guaranteed. But that may not be important to you.
Closed Thread

Tags
live, maintain, younger, respectful, soul

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.