Looking for info on protecting bluebird nesting box

Old 05-11-2024, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualcynthia View Post
Two mourning dove nests were destroyed in our area. We think it was a crow that’s been arround. Do you think the doves will nest in the same place again.
the ravens bring baby birds to our bird bath and eat them in the water.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
My guess would be a snake also.
I think that a snake would have EATEN them. That makes me think that it was a bird like maybe a starling which kills to lessen the competition.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
Wonderfully stated! We live on a lake. 6-7 ducklings born every time we look in the Spring. 3 usually make it a month. Eagle and Osprey know Survival of the Fittest.

#1.Wrens are the only birds that fit into the bluebird house hole.
Can't stop it.

#2 Read about how to install a "Proper" Bluebird house or do not do it... take it down.
For instance, not a wood post, because it's easy for snakes to get those eggs. My husband got us a galvanized post for our house and we did NOT put it up near other trees or shrubs.

It's all a beautiful balance of mother nature. It is not murder.
I would think that a galvanized post is a great idea.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
It’s always best to leave nature to take care of things, don’t interfere. Take down the bird houses and don’t feed the birds.

Feeding birds attracts them to one spot and they become prey to the birds that feed on them. In addition, mass gathering of birds increases the spread of diseases from one bird to another. Avian Flu. Don’t worry, the birds won’t go hungry or be at a loss for shelter. They will actually do better without us.

I do feel your pain on the loss of your little feathery friends.
I do not feed birds or any other wildlife. They were great parents
Old 05-11-2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
If it was a bird who killed the bluebird offspring it was probably a house sparrow. There are some ideas on discouraging them, such as cleaning out the birdhouse if they have built a nest after evicting the bluebirds and then move the nesting box to another location. Since these sparrows are not native birds they are not protected, bluebirds are protected. If you have a bird feeder nearby stop using it or relocate it farther away as seed feeders attract house sparrows. You can also purchase wider, slit opening bluebird houses that deter the sparrows who prefer a round hole. You may need a wire mesh guard over the wider opening as animals may have increased access to the babies. If no house sparrow builds a nest after this calamity maybe it was another creature. Usually a house sparrow throws out the bluebirds to build its own nest. Good luck! Keep trying.
I see mocking birds fighting huge raven type birds and other birds all the time. I also saw the bluebird parents fighting them off once, I thought nothing of it at the time. I am usually not a birder and don't put seed out for them. They nested in a decorative raccoon on our light post. I knew it had a hole with a nesting area, but never thought a bird would choose it. Now that I have experienced this tragedy with these sweet songbirds who sang me beautiful songs, I have changed.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:48 AM

“ For Eastern Bluebirds, you can use a 1½ inch round hole, a 1⅜ x 2¼ inch vertical oval hole, or 1⅛ inch horizontal slot entrance. Western and Mountain Bluebirds prefer a 1 9/16 inch round opening or 1 3/16 inch slot entrance. Where the ranges of the species overlap, use the larger opening.”
Lots of instructions here:
https://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/PD...box%20Recs.pdf[/QUOTE] Thanks so much
Old 05-11-2024, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,008 Times in 2,503 Posts

Quote:
It’s always best to leave nature to take care of things, don’t interfere. Take down the bird houses and don’t feed the birds.

Feeding birds attracts them to one spot and they become prey to the birds that feed on them. In addition, mass gathering of birds increases the spread of diseases from one bird to another. Avian Flu. Don’t worry, the birds won’t go hungry or be at a loss for shelter. They will actually do better without us.

I do feel your pain on the loss of your little feathery friends.
I take it you’re not member of blue bird society.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyangel View Post
About 3 days before the chicks were ready to leave the nest something pulled them out of the nest, killed them, but did not eat them. Some have told me that it must have been other birds that did this. I believe this is true, but would like some info on how to protect the nesting box since there are many types of aggressive birds in my neighborhood. I am very upset about this because I never even knew that bluebirds were songbirds until the mother sang me the most beautiful song I ever heard a bird sing. After the slaughter she came back and sat on the light post across the street for 2 days. I only saw the father briefly one time after the tragedy. I am thinking that maybe I should take down the nesting box (which it just a birdhouse), since I don't know what I am doing and do not care to be an accessory to any more murders of such wonderful creatures. But then I think about how much I would like to help them expand their population.

NestWatch | Predator Guards Carry Their Weight - NestWatch

I put out over 50 bluebird boxes in 5 states. Got 4 up here in Florida, one in my back yard. You will have to put guard on entry hole if something plucked them out. Unless you seen something doing this they may of died and parents pulled them out? If put wooden guard make it at least 1 inch thick (this will limit reach and head size of anything reaching in) and slightly bigger than entry hole due to thickness of entry once modified.

I also had 60 pairs Martin colony in okieland. I can tell in okieland Purple martins are hard to get colony started and twice as hard to keep it going.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0641.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	104077   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0647.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	104078  

Last edited by Topspinmo; 05-11-2024 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
I see mocking birds fighting huge raven type birds and other birds all the time. I also saw the bluebird parents fighting them off once, I thought nothing of it at the time. I am usually not a birder and don't put seed out for them. They nested in a decorative raccoon on our light post. I knew it had a hole with a nesting area, but never thought a bird would choose it. Now that I have experienced this tragedy with these sweet songbirds who sang me beautiful songs, I have changed.
The problem with the decorative bird house they really are made to specific bird. Which means the the nest too close to hole where predators can reach in easily. Look of dimensions of bluebird box plans and see if it meet bluebird box criteria? IMO they safer in nesting box and out in tree somewhere. I had cardinals nesting in bush out back rarely did they make to fledge. About anything can go in or up bush to get them.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I would think that a galvanized post is a great idea.
Not really snakes can sliver right up galvanized pole, even PVC pipe if not 4” diameter slick or greased. Bird netting only sure fire way to stop snakes.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
About 3 days before the chicks were ready to leave the nest something pulled them out of the nest, killed them, but did not eat them. Some have told me that it must have been other birds that did this. I believe this is true, but would like some info on how to protect the nesting box since there are many types of aggressive birds in my neighborhood. I am very upset about this because I never even knew that bluebirds were songbirds until the mother sang me the most beautiful song I ever heard a bird sing. After the slaughter she came back and sat on the light post across the street for 2 days. I only saw the father briefly one time after the tragedy. I am thinking that maybe I should take down the nesting box (which it just a birdhouse), since I don't know what I am doing and do not care to be an accessory to any more murders of such wonderful creatures. But then I think about how much I would like to help them expand their population.
So sorry - I know how heart breaking this is. I have a Bluebird nesting box in the back of our house. I enjoyed watching it from my Lanai. Last year they were successful with 5 fledglings the first time. Then momma Bluebird layed another 5 eggs and we watched again, but the male started flying into our windows daily not sure if it was just a territorial thing or for some other reason. Then the morning that I expected the eggs were due to hatch, I went out to look in the box and all the eggs were gone. The momma came back looked in and then left, the same with the daddy. They never came back again. I suspect it was a snake, since there was no trace of any of the eggs. The hole is too small for other birds, racoons, etc. The Bluebirds have not used the nesting box this year.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,482 Times in 2,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggymarie View Post
So sorry - I know how heart breaking this is. I have a Bluebird nesting box in the back of our house. I enjoyed watching it from my Lanai. Last year they were successful with 5 fledglings the first time. Then momma Bluebird layed another 5 eggs and we watched again, but the male started flying into our windows daily not sure if it was just a territorial thing or for some other reason. Then the morning that I expected the eggs were due to hatch, I went out to look in the box and all the eggs were gone. The momma came back looked in and then left, the same with the daddy. They never came back again. I suspect it was a snake, since there was no trace of any of the eggs. The hole is too small for other birds, racoons, etc. The Bluebirds have not used the nesting box this year.
Many males attack their reflection in windows.
We had a Robin who had terrible rows with himself at our patio windows.
Pigeons often crash into them on sunny days with blue sky reflections.
I have walked into the darned things myself on several occasions thinking the door is open!
Old 05-11-2024, 04:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,145 Times in 819 Posts

This is what you need.
I made my own.

The trouble with baby bluebirds disappearing is crows/black birds with narrows heads and long beaks.
It took me 2 hatches of bluebirds to figure this out then made my own guard.
With a guard those larger birds can't get close enough in inside to destroy the eggs/baby birds.

And don't believe the crap above about not feeding the bluebirds.
Enjoy watching the birds with meal worms close to your house and enjoy their song.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bluebird+..._ts-doa-p_1_21
Old 05-11-2024, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I take it you’re not member of blue bird society.

No, former Park Ranger that appreciates nature in its pure form.

I guess no one ever heard the phrase…”Don’t feed the animals”.

At the least, I hope there not feeding them crap food like bread and crackers, full of artificial ingredients and preservatives. Ugh ! We shouldn’t even be eating that, let alone the birds.

Last edited by Pondboy; 05-11-2024 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
No, former Park Ranger that appreciates nature in its pure form.

I guess no one ever heard the phrase…”Don’t feed the animals”.

At the least, I hope there not feeding them crap food like bread and crackers, full of artificial ingredients and preservatives. Ugh ! We shouldn’t even be eating that, let alone the birds.

Birds are not animals…..

Tags
box, nesting, birds, info, days

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.