Mass Hysteria

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2020, 12:47 PM
Default Seasonal Influenza versus the Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker View Post
As of March 6 the Center for Disease Control estimated that 20,000 Americans have died so far in this flu season.

About 40 people have died so far in the US from coronavirus, mostly elderly.

Has the media mentioned the 20,000 dead, to put this hysterical reaction into perspective?

Nope. Bad news sells newspapers, and the MSM is raking it in over this ridiculous "shut down the country" reaction to coronavirus. And the sheeple are buying it...

Pretty sad, isn't it?
The current population of the US is 327 million of which nearly 10% or 30,000,000 contracted the seasonal flu in 2019-2020. The death rate was .07% or 22,000 as of March 2020. Yes, this is alarming especially since we have a vaccine for this and only 45% of US adults 18 yrs or older received the vaccine.

The international death rate of COVID-19 is 2%. A hypothetical comparison would indicate that IF this is not contained, the death rate in the US could be as high as 600,000. Hopefully, it will not come to this. The death rate for infected persons who are eighty years and older is 14.8% as calculated from international data.

A course in statistics using stratified analysis should be required for anyone who graduates from high school.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:54 PM
Sage
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
I just returned from Publix at Lake Deaton Plaza. I had to drive around for five minutes to find an empty space for parking. That should have been my first clue. There were no carts available in the store. Shelves were empty, lines were ridiculous, there were no bananas, etc., etc., etc. I decided to return home and wait until normalcy returns in The Villages.
And when do you think that will be?
Old 03-15-2020, 12:55 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
And when do you think that will be?

Supply Chain will bring normal next week. Plenty of product, just not enough trucks. Suppliers will focus on the wacko products.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:58 PM
Sage
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkat View Post
The current population of the US is 327 million of which nearly 10% or 30,000,000 contracted the seasonal flu in 2019-2020. The death rate was .07% or 22,000 as of March 2020. Yes, this is alarming especially since we have a vaccine for this and only 45% of US adults 18 yrs or older received the vaccine.

The international death rate of COVID-19 is 2%. A hypothetical comparison would indicate that IF this is not contained, the death rate in the US could be as high as 600,000. Hopefully, it will not come to this. The death rate for infected persons who are eighty years and older is 14.8% as calculated from international data.

A course in statistics using stratified analysis should be required for anyone who graduates from high school.
With 7.7 plus billion people on earth I dough coved-19 death rate is 2%. Maybe .0000002%
Old 03-15-2020, 01:03 PM
Platinum member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina /One Retired in Duval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Most people will recover from this virus if they are infected.
There will however be a lot of grandchildren mourning the passing of their grandparents.
A whole lot!
I don't think there are many on here who do not realise how serious this virus is for older people.
Anyone not taking reasonable precautions is playing a very risky game against themselves and their neighbors.
Most of the so called 'negativity/denial' has been about the panic buying, misleading information, and press and news sensationalism of the whole thing.
What is your prediction for a whole lot of grandparents leaving this earth due to the virus. You must be an epidemiologist to give this type of statement. Working in the health care field ,we never predict even in disaster mode. We waited an counted the toe tags at the end of the crisis. But your finding must have some validity
Old 03-15-2020, 01:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Most people will recover from this virus if they are infected.
There will however be a lot of grandchildren mourning the passing of their grandparents.
A whole lot!
I don't think there are many on here who do not realise how serious this virus is for older people.

Anyone not taking reasonable precautions is playing a very risky game against themselves and their neighbors.
Most of the so called 'negativity/denial' has been about the panic buying, misleading information, and press and news sensationalism of the whole thing.
If you are correct, expect to see some Darwinesque term limiting among politicians and judges.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:27 PM

Thank you for the most sensible reply I have read on the post.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
With 7.7 plus billion people on earth I dough coved-19 death rate is 2%. Maybe .0000002%
The death rate percentage is calculated on those who are infected with the virus......not the entire population.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl99 View Post
There was a doctor on TV yesterday that had the flu last year and has the virus now. He said the virus is mild compared to the flu.
I wouldn't trust a doctor that had the flu last year and has the virus now.
There is no vaccine for the virus, but didn't he get a flu shot which should at least lessen the severity of the flu?

Last edited by Barefoot; 03-16-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:35 PM
Sage
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Thanked 4,410 Times in 1,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I respectfully ask you to refrain from making derogatory comments about the posters. Like the above or maligning a person who's doctorate isn't medicine, or who hit a wrong key and spell check used the wrong word.

If you'd like to offer a reasoned response to what is said, then do it. Your medical credentials certainly give you gravitas, but to denigrate others is simply mean IMHO.

Dr. Fauci (who I personally trust in this) said today that he's glad at what people are calling over reaction because that is what is needed to slow the spread.

Fauci uses a metaphor from one of the fastest-moving sports to describe his strategy on the outbreak. “You skate not to where the puck is, but to where the puck is going to be,” he told a House committee.
Sorry if I offended anyone, but the reality is that we do not need more panic and more posts that promote panic, especially when they are wild conjecture and not based on known facts. If I've gone overboard in attempting to provide a reasonable balance, I apologize
Old 03-15-2020, 10:35 PM
Gold member

In addition to our age, many of us have preexisting conditions that put us at higher risk.
It’s a scary virus and especially worrisome for a lot of Villagers.

Stay safe, stay healthy.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,541 Posts

It's starting.. From our governor in WA.

No gatherings of 50 or more people. All gatherings under 50 people will be prohibited unless previously announced criteria for hygiene and social distancing are met.

All restaurants, bars, entertainment and recreation facilities to close statewide.
Restaurants can serve take out or delivery only.

Pharmacies and grocery stores to remain open.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-15-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I was fine with everything until they cancelled the Players Golf Tournament. Now, the world is coming to an end. I may have to open another Perry Mason DVD.
I felt the same until they closed VEGAS!!!! WHO has EVER heard/seen that????? MGM Resorts International Statement On Temporary Closure Of Las Vegas Properties
Old 03-15-2020, 11:31 PM

This discussion is pointless, a consensus of “scientists” agree that we will all be dead in less that ten years from client change!!!!!
Old 03-15-2020, 11:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
This discussion is pointless, a consensus of “scientists” agree that we will all be dead in less that ten years from client change!!!!!
Client change?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Closed Thread

Tags
died, 20, 000, reaction, coronavirus, newspapers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.