May retire to The Villages.

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy Chips View Post
We were in a similar situation to you last year. We purchased a recently constructed home and are renting it out until we move down full time.

OK, as an airline pilot, I assume that you may have flown into KCLE a time or two, and you may know that they are constructing a new tower that will go live in September. I got a tour of the entire facility last night from my neighbor who is a controller there. It is a sweet facility!
Wavy - I thought the new tower at Hopkins wasn't going into full ops til sometime next year, at the earliest, but was structurally going to be done this fall. Last story I heard/read was that all the electronics would take 12+ mos. to install before it would start handling traffic, and the old tower shut down. You a Cleveland area native, by any chance? Cheers!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

From your questions with phrases like neighborhood, community, I think about how it was for myself before my first visit. In 2004 and 2005 they played a college all-star football game in The Villages, the Gridiron Classic at the polo fields. I watched both years on ESPN and I thought The Villages must be centered around those polo fields since they are so big. Then when we came here for a week on our Lifestyle Visit in April 2011, we never saw the polo fields. The Villages (TV) is about 35 sq miles and growing, in comparison Manhattan, NY is about 34 square miles.

If you were to drive from the northern boundary of Rt 42 south on Buena Vista Blvd to the southern boundary of Rt 44, you would of driven about 16 miles. Go to this link, it will give you an idea of just how big TV is; 82-cool-facts-about-the-villages/

There are no builder(s) in TV, just the developer and they have it down to a science since they have built about 50,000 homes. If you haven't, go to the main website and you can see what homes are available. The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown - New Home Sales, Home Resales, Build Your Dream Home, Brownwood Paddock Square

Here's a webcam of the 3 squares, you can see dancing and such around 5pm everyday unless it's raining. The Villages

The Villages Florida
Old 08-13-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran member

There are several large Catholic Churches here. St. Tim's is officially in the Villages. Even though we live closer to St. Tim's we go to St. Vincent DePaul in Wildwood by the new area. There is also St. Mark the Evangelist and smaller ones like St. Theresa's . In Summer not hard to get your seat, but in Winter very crowded. Some Masses have over 1000 people. So fewer but larger churches.

There are Singles clubs, but no CAC (yet), maybe you can start one. A friend of ours from North Jersey CAC thinks of moving here and starting one.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNJ View Post
Wavy - I thought the new tower at Hopkins wasn't going into full ops til sometime next year, at the earliest, but was structurally going to be done this fall. Last story I heard/read was that all the electronics would take 12+ mos. to install before it would start handling traffic, and the old tower shut down. You a Cleveland area native, by any chance? Cheers!
Navy, I'm not a Cle native but have lived here 30+ years. Next door neighbor is a controller. I believe he said the new tower was going live Sept. 18ish. We were in the Tracon Room and all the workstations were up and operational and emulating live traffic. it looked to be 95%+ done. They have room for expansion and I believe they make take over operations for KCAK at some point in the future. The tower was 95% done as well. I think I counted 45 monitors up there for a normal working crew of 4! If you want to hear more about this or TV feel free to PM me. Safe travels!
Old 08-14-2015, 06:39 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,113 Times in 1,345 Posts

Too much fun in TV!
Old 08-14-2015, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Where is the OP? So many helpful comments and no further comments by OP.

Oh well.................He probably decided on Stonecrest.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:35 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,784 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I was hoping the OP would come back as well. I think the OP would get a good feel of the people in TV. Never met anyone from Stonecrest.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I was hoping the OP would come back as well. I think the OP would get a good feel of the people in TV. Never met anyone from Stonecrest.
We have some friends from StoneCrest - a very nice couple we know from church. I suspect the OP probably had no real interest in learning about TV. It was his first and only post. But as GG noted, there are some really good responses on this thread. I always enjoy seeing nice folks responding about TV and those aspects of it that they like.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. One thing I have to figure out is the distance from home to town. I guess TV is bigger than I thought. Once I come to visit I’ll have a better feel on the layout. Unfortunately, I don’t see the time for a long-term rental. I was hoping to have all in place on the first day of retirement. If I wait till I retire, probably 2017, then enter a rental for a few months- all the more desirable lots will be gone. I was hoping to spend a week at TV, 2 or 3 times. In those 3 weeks I should know if it’s the place for me. I hope.

Today I received the info packet I ordered from TV website. I just finished the 30-minute DVD and it was more an infomercial for the golf courses. I don’t play golf. Over the next couple days I’ll read thru the printed material. I may have more questions at that time. Thank you again for your time, and please continue to feel free with any advice.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Veteran member

I just read some frustration from posters waiting for me to reply. Please understand my work takes me away from home from 2-5 days at a time. I no longer bring my laptop on layovers (too much of a hassle), consequently I may not get online for a week at a time. I do appreciate your patience and I am very sorry to cause some frustration.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,784 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
I just read some frustration from posters waiting for me to reply. Please understand my work takes me away from home from 2-5 days at a time. I no longer bring my laptop on layovers (too much of a hassle), consequently I may not get online for a week at a time. I do appreciate your patience and I am very sorry to cause some frustration.
No frustration........just hoping you continue the conversation. Good Luck with your journey down the road to TV.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,942 Times in 4,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post
DH is 63, I am 58. Agewise, we feel quite comfortable. We rented for a month in January, and purchased a Gardenia. We came with a budget of $300k - $350k, but after talking to many people who had moved within The Villages, decided to up the ante.

We wanted a full 3-car garage, and we wanted a view. We chose a home on Evans Prairie. The pluses are more air movement than the 'kissing lanais'; because it is attached to a natural water prairie or water level is much more stable than the man-made ponds. We went through a dry spell, and a few ponds turned into rubbish laden mud puddles.

The Villages real estate is unlike any other real estate transaction I have ever encountered. Homes sell so quickly, they are in the driver's seat. Don't expect free upgrades or bargaining. They just don't do it.

We have sinkhole insurance, don't remember the cost but it was reasonable.

I would say The Villages runs conservative, which was a big draw for us. It isn't cookie-cutter, though. There are a wide variety of beliefs.

The Villages frowns on satellite dishes, but they can't stop you. Direct is available, but we have Dish. We made sure to have it neatly installed in an unobtrusive place, and have had no complaints. It does go out in heavy rain, but we watch mostly recorded shows, so it doesn't matter.

Minto homes in Sun City Center gives you much more house than The Villages, but no one can beat the community here.

Couple more things: the local newspaper is The Daily Sun. You won't find anything bad about The Villages, but it is a window to the community.

There is an Aviation Club. thevillagesaviation.com
What a great choice! (I hope) Wanted some type of view other than the back of houses, and I love golf, so I also bought on Evans Prairie last year. Was there last year in June, it was 96 degrees outside. My lanai is oversized and faces east across the course, so within 2 hours of sunrise it is in the shade, and there are 4 overhead fans. I sat out there reading and watching the golfers go by, and between the breeze and the fans was not at all uncomfortable. Everyone speaks about how unbearable the heat and humidity is, but we came down right after visiting my son in Raleigh-Durham, where it was the same 96, and THAT was unbearable. don't know if I have to shout down the street or across the course to you, but thank you for helping reassure me that I made a good choice and for a good reason. Back in October, hopefully permanently if my house in NY sells.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
What a great choice! (I hope) Wanted some type of view other than the back of houses, and I love golf, so I also bought on Evans Prairie last year. Was there last year in June, it was 96 degrees outside. My lanai is oversized and faces east across the course, so within 2 hours of sunrise it is in the shade, and there are 4 overhead fans. I sat out there reading and watching the golfers go by, and between the breeze and the fans was not at all uncomfortable. Everyone speaks about how unbearable the heat and humidity is, but we came down right after visiting my son in Raleigh-Durham, where it was the same 96, and THAT was unbearable. don't know if I have to shout down the street or across the course to you, but thank you for helping reassure me that I made a good choice and for a good reason. Back in October, hopefully permanently if my house in NY sells.
Thanks! we like it very much. We face North, so have two panel with a west exposure. We've ordered roller solar shades for those panels.

DH would love to be on the golf course, but we both love birds and water. Getting both views would have squeezed the budget past the comfort zone.

Enjoy your home!
Old 08-14-2015, 06:38 PM

Many folks here have DirecTV. While the deed restrictions state that they would prefer that satellite dishes be mounted on a pedestal near the rear of your property, they do not prohibit the dish being installed on the roof. No dish may be installed on the front of the house or in the front yard. We had our dish installed on the roof toward the rear of the house for best reception. As others have mentioned, you need to come for a lifestyle visit, meet with a sales person (there is absolutely NO pressure) and learn what TV is all about. We love it here! BTW, I have friends who belong to the 3 very large singles clubs. They have a great time going to socials and planned outings. Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Closed Thread

Tags
villages, i’m, questions, lot, plan, retire, home, visit, community, i’ve, great, i’ll, buy, lots, building, population, golf, number, conservative, 100%, humidity, lived, weather, sinkholes, retirement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.