Mean Girls at Truman Majongg Today - Monday?

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2018, 05:05 PM
Platinum member
Default Mean Girls at Truman Majongg Today - Monday?

An experienced Majongg player, I’ve dropped in at various Rec centers to find a game when my schedule allows. I’ve always found welcoming ladies and have met many very nice fellow players who have become friends.

Today I was alone and went to Truman for the first time in hopes of joining a table to play. I was not late, arriving at about 12:15. There were 5 or 6 tables that already had 4 players. There was only one table with 3 ladies.

When I politely asked if I could join the threesome (4 is optimal), I was truly shocked when they refused to let me play. They were not expecting a friend who was late—they just didn’t want me to play with them and made no excuses.

I have never seen mahjongg players so unwelcoming before. Wow. I was hurt and embarrassed and at a loss for words.

Isn’t inclusion a part of participating in Rec center activities? I know this isn’t a big deal. But a little kindness goes a long way.

Perhaps I’ll find a more friendly group next Monday at Truman.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:11 PM
Platinum member

It was a blessing in disguise. Just think. If they had say yes, you would have spent all that time with three jackasses.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
An experienced Majongg player, I’ve dropped in at various Rec centers to find a game when my schedule allows. I’ve always found welcoming ladies and have met many very nice fellow players who have become friends.

Today I was alone and went to Truman for the first time in hopes of joining a table to play. I was not late, arriving at about 12:15. There were 5 or 6 tables that already had 4 players. There was only one table with 3 ladies.

When I politely asked if I could join the threesome (4 is optimal), I was truly shocked when they refused to let me play. They were not expecting a friend who was late—they just didn’t want me to play with them and made no excuses.

I have never seen mahjongg players so unwelcoming before. Wow. I was hurt and embarrassed and at a loss for words.

Isn’t inclusion a part of participating in Rec center activities? I know this isn’t a big deal. But a little kindness goes a long way.

Perhaps I’ll find a more friendly group next Monday at Truman.
The way I read it is when you live in The Villages the playing field is level for all. It makes every single person the Most Popular Kid In School. I stand to be corrected if I overlooked some ancient Mahjongg Rule but they were way out of line in my opinion and our collective hearts hurt for you. Even the biggest bonehead we all know should be treated properly in a case like this. Thankfully I was not present when this happened. Enough from me, next!
Old 04-30-2018, 06:09 PM

I really learned to appreciate Connie and Karen at (Eisenhower) after my friend and I tried to play at other rec centers. We had similar experience, they’d rather play 5 and rotate then one of them play with the two of us. We left. Connie and Karen have rules they do a great job. Thanks Connie and Karen
Old 04-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,554 Times in 1,929 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
The way I read it is when you live in The Villages the playing field is level for all. It makes every single person the Most Popular Kid In School. I stand to be corrected if I overlooked some ancient Mahjongg Rule but they were way out of line in my opinion and our collective hearts hurt for you. Even the biggest bonehead we all know should be treated properly in a case like this. Thankfully I was not present when this happened. Enough from me, next!
Beautifully said. Not surprising, Nucky. You have a good heart. I am sad for this happening, Villageswimmer.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,630 Times in 600 Posts

OP I was on the golf course this morning, play was a bit slow. The 3 women behind us must be part of mean girls golf. While we stood waiting for foursome to finish putting before we could tee up, they drove up right behind our carts, got out and made comments we were slowing up play.

We tolerated it for first 5 holes, I was about to finally let them know their lack of etiquette when the ambassador drove up smiled and said I need to take care of this.

Admonished them, sent them back away from the Tee, and told him if he saw it again he would have a discussion with the golf pro about their lack of judgment of playing golf.

So OP, no worries you will sometimes find mean girls, or just lack of good judgment, but it’s Few and far between.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:03 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

Rachel Crow - Mean Girls - YouTube

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Strangely enough it's not uncommon for a group not to want a stranger to join them. If a person feels slighted perhaps they are overly sensitive and need a safe space to gather themselves.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:25 PM

This could happen to anybody.
Don't take it personal.
Just keep plugging away and soon you will find a group that fits you.

Sometimes you will find that The Villages may not always be the "friendliest hometown."
I think that since practically everyone here is from somewhere else, it is more friendly than most other places.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:46 PM
Sage

Villageswimmer : Those 3 were most likely going to be engaged in their plan to write a lot of " letters " to the phony online " news-site " to promote the elimination of the Recreation News so that they could " save " about $1 per month in their Amenity Fees ! : )

Most likely they didn't`t want you to become aware of their " grass-roots " plot .

Sorry this happened to you and good for you that you are willing to speak up about it .
Old 05-01-2018, 03:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

Girls???????
Old 05-01-2018, 08:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you're young and pretty, they probably felt threatened.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-01-2018, 08:57 AM
Gold member

Its not just mean girls.... its also mean men....

Tuttle Mound. 12:15 tee time scheduled ahead for yesterday, hubby was joined with a threesome and I was a spectator.

Hubby tells me that One of the golfers said to the starter, he had thought he was going to be a two some, but was not at all happy to be paired up into a threesome and then find out its a foursome with a wife ride along..

and he was not at all fun to play with for the 9 holes and it wasn't because he was a great player and didn't want to play with amateures....because he wasn't all that good himself...

My guess, he had left to play golf and get away from his wife, and another player showed up with their wife...

too bad...so sad...for him and ultimately us as well

So, don't feel bad, its not just you...it happens to all of us...
Old 05-01-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I think that "Minnesota Nice" is one of the most disingenuous ways to deal with people. I much prefer someone being direct and blunt, not rude, than smile to my face and pretend they like me. I totally respect blunt people no matter where they are from.
Yep.

I'll take the person who speaks their mind in plain language, over the passive-aggressive, fake niceness types...any day.

"Bless y'alls little heart."
Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM
fw102807

I respect tolerance more than anything. I am nice to anyone who is nice to me regardless of what their background, skin color religion or anything else is. Maybe that is because I came from the Northeast.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, truman, players, ladies, table

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.