Moffitt Center Departure

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Default Moffitt Center Departure

The Moffitt Center which arrived several years ago with great fanfare and TV requesting over a million bucks in donations for equipment is no more. They never intended to nor did they ever offer full services for cancer treatments which are available only at their main location in Tampa. Anyone concerned about what happened to the money that was donated and about why the relationship with TV deteriorated in such a short time.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

I am

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 10-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,537 Times in 1,923 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Moffet Center no longer affiliated with The Villages Hospital
Old 10-21-2015, 05:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

You said that so much better than I could have.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:06 PM
Veteran member

Perhaps they couldn't reach a financial agreement with TV to continue their operation here. Speculation on my part, but it would appear that if TV doesn't get what they want, you're outta here. JMHO I'm a little jaded. I hope the entity taking over from Moffet garners as good a reputation.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,390 Posts

I would expect an accounting for the donations that were committed to the "Moffitt Cancer Center".

Since we are speculating we are entitled to think out loud. Maybe the agreement was what it is and has expired per the plan. Could have been an agreement of sorts to get the cancer center up, running and established.
Mission accomplished.

So many events that used to be handled in TV for cancer celebrations were disallowed when Moffitt came on the scene.....for example relay for life.

I am impressed with how little is being reported about the current actions.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
Perhaps they couldn't reach a financial agreement with TV to continue their operation here. Speculation on my part, but it would appear that if TV doesn't get what they want, you're outta here. JMHO I'm a little jaded. I hope the entity taking over from Moffet garners as good a reputation.

You really should read the posts on the thread noted above by Gracie. The bottom line is that Moffitt originally made some promises about expanded services and then recently notified TV Hospital that they changed their mind. At that point TVRH appropriately terminated the contract.

IMO Moffitt knew from the very beginning that they could not or would not be able to keep some very significant parts of their contractual agreement. The stones get cast completely at Moffitt, not TV or TVRH.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:55 PM
Sage
Default Moffitt Center Departure

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I would expect an accounting for the donations that were committed to the "Moffitt Cancer Center".

Since we are speculating we are entitled to think out loud. Maybe the agreement was what it is and has expired per the plan. Could have been an agreement of sorts to get the cancer center up, running and established.

Mission accomplished.

So many events that used to be handled in TV for cancer celebrations were disallowed when Moffitt came on the scene.....for example relay for life.

I am impressed with how little is being reported about the current actions.

BTK - Moffitt agreed to create a Comprehensive Cancer Center here - essentially a duplication of their Tampa Campus. They had to realize from the onset that promise was neither feasible or financially reasonable. There are only about 44 CCCs in the country. Think of building a Sloan Kettering and all the associated facilities, staff, and researchers, etc. Or an MD Anderson. There is just no way.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Sage

IIRC, the funds the residents contributed were intended to purchase exam and treatment equipment for the clinic. I believe that equipment is still here and will be used by the new company coming in.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
IIRC, the funds the residents contributed were intended to purchase exam and treatment equipment for the clinic. I believe that equipment is still here and will be used by the new company coming in.
And all the donors who use it will be billed for their use.

What a great business plan! If I can get a bunch of suckers to contribute to something like that money making possibilities are unlimited!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:31 AM
Sage

Don't most hospitals, including TVRH, have fundraising foundations that help fund new equipment and new construction? I'm not seeing a conspiracy here...funds donated here bought equipment that stays here. Donations don't entitle you to free use. Sounds to me like TVRH and Moffitt came to a logical business decision based on services not being provided as expected.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Don't most hospitals, including TVRH, have fundraising foundations that help fund new equipment and new construction? I'm not seeing a conspiracy here...funds donated here bought equipment that stays here. Donations don't entitle you to free use. Sounds to me like TVRH and Moffitt came to a logical business decision based on services not being provided as expected.
Well said
Old 10-22-2015, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,063 Times in 4,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Absolutely, hospitals do it all the time, and it's a good thing. But it is usually for a non-profit entity. I don't know--is Moffit non-profit? I never heard of them before ToTV---it's not like they're some kind of nationally known cancer center like Sloan or Anderson. But if they are for profit, it's kind of double dipping---getting free equipment then billing for its use. Even that's OK if the money goes back into research or patient care---but if it goes into someone's pocket..........
Old 10-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,537 Times in 1,923 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Absolutely, hospitals do it all the time, and it's a good thing. But it is usually for a non-profit entity. I don't know--is Moffit non-profit? I never heard of them before ToTV---it's not like they're some kind of nationally known cancer center like Sloan or Anderson. But if they are for profit, it's kind of double dipping---getting free equipment then billing for its use. Even that's OK if the money goes back into research or patient care---but if it goes into someone's pocket..........

The fundraiser was by the developers who were building on to the hospital in the anticipation of having Moffitt open here.

The Relay for Life used to be huge here... and the developers asked them to kick in for the Moffitt Center and they said no and the developer said well then, you can't use our property. So Relay for Life is no longer here on Villages property. There was much anger and one of the local cancer doctors was not happy either that Moffitt was coming to the area. This is all just what I think was happening.

Basically I think the developers were trying to improve Medical care round abouts, BUT why is up for grabs. Some folks always say they are money grubbing greedy folks. I kinda was hoping that they were trying to improve medical care here because it needs to be improved in my very humble opinion.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-22-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Just an FYI:

"As the third largest cancer center in the nation based on patient volume, Moffitt Cancer Center offers a level of service that stands above the rest. Our recognition as a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center – the only one based in Florida – shows our dedication to translating important research discoveries quickly from our onsite labs directly to the patient’s bedside.'

https://moffitt.org/cancers/

And, at least the replacement group practice coming into the TV branch is not just a radiation therapy doctor posing as a one-stop, comprehensive center that would meet all one's cancer treatment needs. That was the case in the beginning, with full page sour-grapes newspaper ads and group sessions against Moffitt coming into The Villages.
Closed Thread

Tags
moffitt, center, tampa, concerned, main, location, money, deteriorated, relationship, short, time, donated, happened, treatments, requesting, fanfare, million, bucks, great, ago, departure, arrived, years, donations, equipment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.