Movie’s at the Sharon?

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2022, 02:59 PM
Platinum member

I suppose this is a way to further utilize this asset. The place does have a great sound system, but what will it be like when the seating area is only 1/4 full? I am looking forward to the reviews after the showings begin. I bet there will not be popcorn or juju beans for sale…
Old 07-29-2022, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,055 Times in 2,536 Posts

When you see old movie on TV you only see about 2/3s of the wide angle movie made for big screen if that. Sound not same also at home depending on you’re model of TV. I doubt there will be enough interest to make it worthwhile?
Old 07-29-2022, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,216 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I suppose this is a way to further utilize this asset. The place does have a great sound system, but what will it be like when the seating area is only 1/4 full? I am looking forward to the reviews after the showings begin. I bet there will not be popcorn or juju beans for sale…
The article that was linked in a previous post does state there will be no popcorn sold but there will be some candy. There will be alcohol sold though so that is nice. I've never watched "Singing in the Rain" on a large theater screen with a glass of wine before. This will be a first for me.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,216 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
When you see old movie on TV you only see about 2/3s of the wide angle movie made for big screen if that. Sound not same also at home depending on you’re model of TV. I doubt there will be enough interest to make it worthwhile?
We have a Samsung TV with a Samsung sound bar. The sound bar sounds wonderful in our home but it cannot compare with sound in a movie theater. With the Sharon's great acoustics, I'm really looking forward to seeing musical movies there.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:28 AM

I would rather the actual theaters re-open. The theater in Lake Sumter is over booked now at times, unless you like sitting right below the screen. It smell "musty" like the carpets need a good cleaning and no leg room. We wanted to see Thor 3-D and there was only two days and 4 total showings. After paying more for tickets than outside theaters and no cheaper for the concession food, we started going to Leesburg for movies.

Last edited by snyd017; 07-30-2022 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-30-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Looks like the Sharon is going to show couple classic movies starting in August. Thoughts
I don’t have any.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Looks like the Sharon is going to show couple classic movies starting in August. Thoughts
I have zero interest for myself as I prefer watching movies at home but I am happy for nearby locals who have been missing the big screen. I hope this is a huge success and leads to more movies for Spanish Springs.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

I have seen Singing in the Rain on a big screen in a restored historic theatre (California…) It really was much better than my large screen tv.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

Duplicate Post???
Old 07-30-2022, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

To those who think it’s a bad idea to show movies 🎥 in The Sharon it instantly made me think of the old saying, No Good Deed Goes Unpunished! How can anyones mind let them turn this into something bad? That’s a shame that this isn’t looked at as a good thing. The other word that comes to mind to describe the negativity is Curmudgeon. You know sorta like Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes. Always picking doom and gloom from everything.

We could stream them all but we’ll be at the Sharon. Thanks to whoever made it happen.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:57 AM

It is a way to:
A.. Make more $$ at the Sharon (for old movies that should be free)
B. A poor attempt to cover for closing the Rialto
C. Hoping residents won't complain but instead will be glad this is being provided.
All of the above are true
Old 07-30-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Well that is interesting. I was telling my wife the other day about how I wish that I could watch YELLOWSTONE episodes on a big screen. I would pay to see that!

I would also love to see my absolute favorite western, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, on the big screen.

Old epic movies with iconic landscape scenes and great direction have faded away unfortunately. Playing classic movies instead of the new Hollywood embarrassments is another plus to doing this in the Sharon. Whether or not the Sharon can reproduce the sound and cinematic quality... I don't know.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:16 AM

Why anyone would rather go to The Sharon to watch an old movie is beyond me. Basically it's watching reruns. If I was going to do that, I would do it in my own home DVR'd with no commercials at my own leisure. If you don't have anything else better to do, something is wrong.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vermilya View Post
It is a way to:
A.. Make more $$ at the Sharon (for old movies that should be free)
B. A poor attempt to cover for closing the Rialto
C. Hoping residents won't complain but instead will be glad this is being provided.
All of the above are true
You hit the nail on the head with "B". It's the only reason to justify The Sharon and the closing of The Rialto. I HATE going to Sumter Landing with all the traffic to try to go to a movie. Why with over 150,000 people, is there only one movie theater? Something is rotten in TV.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I am happy to see something going on there as long as it isn’t a substitute for opening the theaters. Having only one theater available for a community this size is ridiculous.. Many people were attracted to The Villages because of its entertainment. It has slowly been ripped away from us. I understand that Covid caused a lot of places to close but it’s time to start opening again.
Closed Thread

Tags
sharon, movie’s, couple, august, starting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.