multi-modal and getting along

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 01-20-2015, 10:53 AM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,476
Thanks: 1
Thanked 562 Times in 298 Posts
Default

A golf cart coming from the other direction is not the issue. Head on collisions are not the real danger. You can see them coming and get out of the way (hopefully). The real danger is when you are passed from behind and get clipped. This is why there is a required 3 foot clearance. The problem here is that the cyclist were riding abreast. They should not have been doing this but you should not have passed them also until it was safe to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromlich View Post
That makes no sense at all. A golf cart going the other way would be able to pass without any problem and we had to get in that lane to pass. Sorry, but I'm not looking to argue , just asking all of us to be kinder. No matter what the issue....ROAD RAGE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! You weren't there and just because you are a biker does not mean you know what happened. I will tell you there were more than 3 feet. Everyone sees things differently. Can't we all just get along and stop hitting and cursing others out.
  #47  
Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 AM
cromlich cromlich is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bonnybrook
Posts: 148
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The issue is how much clearance you gave them when you passed them from behind. Based on widths of the paths, bikes, and golf carts, it is most likely you passed them with little clearance from behind. As a long time cyclist, I can tell you that there are few things that will elicit a stronger reaction from cyclists then nearly clipping them from behind. The cyclists were reacting to something you did and it is most likely nearly clipping them. You may believe you passed them with more than 3 feet of clearance but the width of the multimodal path indicated otherwise - the numbers don't add up. What you most likely did in passing them with little clearance can be considered "road rage" also. I see this frequently - cyclists are slowing people down and they responds by passing them closely and then cutting in front of them as soon as possible. Don't try to make the cyclists out to be the bad guys here. You were tooling around in a 600-1000 lb golf cart and it is your responsibility when overtaking to do so in a safe manner. To assume the cyclists lit into you for no reason defies logic.
Whatever! Believe what you want! I know what happened. Done with this. If this is how people react to a request to be kind to one another...it'll never happen. Doesn't matter what you think, it's what happened. No sense in arguing or debating something. Putting this one to rest. Just try and be courteous , everyone. Our lives depend on it.
  #48  
Old 01-20-2015, 11:02 AM
sunnyatlast sunnyatlast is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,208
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The paved streets and "multi-modal" paths are about 98% motor vehicle traffic going 20 mph+. Walking or running in motor vehicle traffic is a hazard no matter how "legally" you do it.

Use some common sense and stay out of motor vehicle traffic! You won't be "more fit" than the rest of us driving slobs, nor will you be walking or running, when you're dead or in a rehab hospital with traumatic head and spine injuries and your adult children have to somehow afford the time and money to leave their family and job/livelihood in CA or NY to come here and watch you vegetate.
  #49  
Old 01-20-2015, 11:11 AM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,476
Thanks: 1
Thanked 562 Times in 298 Posts
Default

I went back and read your original post. It seems like the point you were trying to make is the cyclists were jerks and how nobody wants to share the road with them. Since the cyclists weren't here to tell their side of the story it became necessary to try to piece together what happened. I believe we now have a clear picture of what most likely transpired. Hopefully you have learned from this and will give cyclists a wide berth when you encounter them on the streets and multimodal paths as they are unprotected and accidents with 1000 lb golf carts could prove fatal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromlich View Post
Whatever! Believe what you want! I know what happened. Done with this. If this is how people react to a request to be kind to one another...it'll never happen. Doesn't matter what you think, it's what happened. No sense in arguing or debating something. Putting this one to rest. Just try and be courteous , everyone. Our lives depend on it.
  #50  
Old 01-20-2015, 11:21 AM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,476
Thanks: 1
Thanked 562 Times in 298 Posts
Default

Another option is you can learn and follow the rules of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
The paved streets and "multi-modal" paths are about 98% motor vehicle traffic going 20 mph+. Walking or running in motor vehicle traffic is a hazard no matter how "legally" you do it.

Use some common sense and stay out of motor vehicle traffic! You won't be "more fit" than the rest of us driving slobs, nor will you be walking or running, when you're dead or in a rehab hospital with traumatic head and spine injuries and your adult children have to somehow afford the time and money to leave their family and job/livelihood in CA or NY to come here and watch you vegetate.
  #51  
Old 01-20-2015, 11:42 AM
pooh's Avatar
pooh pooh is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MA, CA, TV
Posts: 6,108
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Since the only people present were the bikers and the individuals in the golf cart, making assumptions on what actually happened seem out of place. The OP is stating what he saw and was a part of, why is that being assumed to be not what happened?
  #52  
Old 01-20-2015, 12:01 PM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,476
Thanks: 1
Thanked 562 Times in 298 Posts
Default

Because the width of the multi-modal path is probably not wide enough to accommodate what the OP stated (2 cyclist riding abreast, a golf cart, and 3+ feet of clearance between the cyclists and the golf cart) and it is unreasonable to assume the cyclists lit into the OP for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Since the only people present were the bikers and the individuals in the golf cart, making assumptions on what actually happened seem out of place. The OP is stating what he saw and was a part of, why is that being assumed to be not what happened?
  #53  
Old 01-20-2015, 12:01 PM
sunnyatlast sunnyatlast is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,208
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Another option is you can learn and follow the rules of the road.
Everybody learns the "rules" of the road when getting a drivers' license at age 16, but nobody is without error in actual BEHAVIOR when driving, walking or biking on the road.

The key element you and others are leaving out of that time-tested driver education we were taught in the 1970s is this, and it applies to pedestrians on the roadways:

"Watch out for the other guy!" Those words were even a PSA campaign on t.v.…...and the lesson went on from there with parents and instructors explaining, "you can never depend on the other person to do the right thing…..always watch out for them to do something stupid, and you have to be prepared with skills to avoid the accident they're about to cause."

Even with the best awareness and anticipation of others' mistakes, some accidents are simply unavoidable!

Awareness and actual behavior/deeds are two seriously different things. People cannot be depended upon to always put you--a pedestrian/runner/biker--at the center of all things they see and react to while driving.

Try as they should, all drivers make mistakes and near-misses because they are human while driving tons of steel.
  #54  
Old 01-20-2015, 12:11 PM
cromlich cromlich is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bonnybrook
Posts: 148
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

thank you
  #55  
Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM
cromlich cromlich is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bonnybrook
Posts: 148
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Since the only people present were the bikers and the individuals in the golf cart, making assumptions on what actually happened seem out of place. The OP is stating what he saw and was a part of, why is that being assumed to be not what happened?
Thank you.
  #56  
Old 01-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Chazz Chazz is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Everybody learns the "rules" of the road when getting a drivers' license at age 16, but nobody is without error in actual BEHAVIOR when driving, walking or biking on the road.

The key element you and others are leaving out of that time-tested driver education we were taught in the 1970s is this, and it applies to pedestrians on the roadways:

"Watch out for the other guy!" Those words were even a PSA campaign on t.v....and the lesson went on from there with parents and instructors explaining, "you can never depend on the other person to do the right thing..always watch out for them to do something stupid, and you have to be prepared with skills to avoid the accident they're about to cause."

Even with the best awareness and anticipation of others' mistakes, some accidents are simply unavoidable!

Awareness and actual behavior/deeds are two seriously different things. People cannot be depended upon to always put you--a pedestrian/runner/biker--at the center of all things they see and react to while driving.

Try as they should, all drivers make mistakes and near-misses because they are human while driving tons of steel.
Very well said!
__________________
The Bronx, NY<br />Queens, NY<br />Old Bridge, NJ<br />Freehold, NJ<br />The Villages, FL
  #57  
Old 01-20-2015, 02:48 PM
GaryW GaryW is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BV
Posts: 600
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromlich View Post
My friend and I just had a very interesting experience on the "multi-modul path" over by 466 and Belevedere. Two bicyclists
(man and women) were riding in front of us. My friend passed them as they were the slower traffic. When we came to the stop the man intentionally hit her from behind and the woman yelled at her. My friend did nothing wrong. There was plenty of time to pass. No wonder no one wants to share the road with these so called "jerks". I told the lady we passed her because she was the slower traffic and she flipped us off and yelled "go to h---". NICE, real class!
This is your original post.

Now in your last post you talk about getting along. Just sayin..

"ROAD RAGE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! You weren't there and just because you are a biker does not mean you know what happened. I will tell you there were more than 3 feet. Everyone sees things differently. Can't we all just get along and stop hitting and cursing others out."


The problem is here, we have no clue as to what really happened,, I am not taking your word for it, I am not taking anyone's word. If you say that is what happened to you, then fine,, but the whole Jerk deal is uncalled for,, Heck could of been your fault or the driver of the cart. I have had many carts zip past me on the MMP and not what soever yield the 3 feet. But that is beside the point. Now if you want to voice a complaint, do it with Dignity and leave all the jerk stuff alone. We were not there, and when someone questions you on that, seems to offend people. Make you go

I am always on my bike, ride to work every morning at ZERO DARK THIRTY.. Ride on the weekends,, Roads,, MMP everywhere. So I am offended by the remark of "so called jerks". You are labeling a lot of FOLK here.

Everyday,, Cars,, Carts,, Motorcycles, bicycles, runners,, seems someone is always doing something someone else does not like,, For the love of it all,, This is a RETIREMENT COMMUNITY, Lets all get along,,

  #58  
Old 01-20-2015, 03:19 PM
Walter123 Walter123 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 924
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Because the width of the multi-modal path is probably not wide enough to accommodate what the OP stated (2 cyclist riding abreast, a golf cart, and 3+ feet of clearance between the cyclists and the golf cart) and it is unreasonable to assume the cyclists lit into the OP for no reason.
Hi biker1,

If you're gonna take measurements please be careful! LOL
  #59  
Old 01-20-2015, 03:22 PM
pooh's Avatar
pooh pooh is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MA, CA, TV
Posts: 6,108
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Because the width of the multi-modal path is probably not wide enough to accommodate what the OP stated (2 cyclist riding abreast, a golf cart, and 3+ feet of clearance between the cyclists and the golf cart) and it is unreasonable to assume the cyclists lit into the OP for no reason.
Still, I would not make assumptions. Three feet isn't as great a distance as it sounds and they may have indeed been the required distance. The path is wide enough to allow carts to pass in opposite directions with more than sufficient space...two bikers riding side by side take up how much more space? How much space do they have between them?

It isn't my intention to get into a pi**ing contest over this, but I still feel that unless we actually witness, presuming might not be such a good thing.

The paths are multi-modal, for use by carts, bikes, people walking. We must all be aware of our relative position on the path and try to bring no harm to ourselves or others.
  #60  
Old 01-20-2015, 03:34 PM
GaryW GaryW is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BV
Posts: 600
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Still, I would not make assumptions. Three feet isn't as great a distance as it sounds and they may have indeed been the required distance. The path is wide enough to allow carts to pass in opposite directions with more than sufficient space...two bikers riding side by side take up how much more space? How much space do they have between them?

It isn't my intention to get into a pi**ing contest over this, but I still feel that unless we actually witness, presuming might not be such a good thing.

The paths are multi-modal, for use by carts, bikes, people walking. We must all be aware of our relative position on the path and try to bring no harm to ourselves or others.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.