Multi Modal Path Usage - other than golf carts.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:17 PM
Default Multi Modal Path Usage - other than golf carts.

The Villages descriptions of a multi modal path includes sharing with pedestrians.

Can someone please explain to me why the majority of golf carts do not want to share the path with pedestrians or bicycles. It’s not that difficult.

From the villages website.

Share the Path

"Who is allowed to use the multi-modal paths throughout The Villages?” This is a question that the District receives on a regular basis. The multi-modal paths are for use by NON-AUTOMOTIVE traffic such as bicycles, golf carts, pedestrians and skaters. It is not legal…nor is it smart…to drive vehicles such as smart cars, motorcycles, or mopeds on any of the multi-modal paths in The Villages. For additional information, please click on the header of this announcement to read a memo from District Counsel regarding the use of multi-modal paths.
Effective July 1, 2013, The Florida Legislature amended FS 319.14 to allow the conversion of a Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) to a golf cart. For additional information on the process of converting a LSV to a golf cart, please click on the following link: Low Speed Vehicles.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,687 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
Can someone please explain to me why the majority of golf carts do not want to share the path with pedestrians or bicycles.
Who cares?

In our opinion, it is not safe to walk or ride a bike on an MMP, so we stay off of them.

We only walk or ride our bikes on paths where golf carts are forbidden.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
...In our opinion, it is not safe to walk or ride a bike on an MMP...
Quote:
...Can someone please explain to me why the majority of golf carts do not want to share the path with pedestrians or bicycles...
I've noticed neither.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
I've noticed neither.
Yep. Walk on the MMPs often and bike on them occasionally. One or two problem children out there but certainly not the majority.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-16-2024, 02:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,782 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
The Villages descriptions of a multi modal path includes sharing with pedestrians.

Can someone please explain to me why the majority of golf carts do not want to share the path with pedestrians or bicycles. It’s not that difficult.

I've never noticed it. What is your opinion?
Old 02-16-2024, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,994 Times in 4,161 Posts

Quote:

Is that statement based on a poll of say 1,000 cart owners, on consultation with a psychic, or was that just floated out there as click-bait??????
Old 02-16-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Yep. Walk on the MMPs often and bike on them occasionally. One or two problem children out there but certainly not the majority.
I agree. I just went for a run on the MM path by Mallory CC. Every cart I encountered gave me plenty of space. I always thank them by giving them a wave.

There will always be a small percentage of bitter "get off my lawn" a**holes anywhere you go. Thankfully from my experience running and riding my mountain bike on the mm paths, they've been very few and far between.
Old 02-16-2024, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,757 Posts

Just now: going south on MMP to Colony cottage, in sharp turn cart is coming at me in my lane, behind him another cart, in my lane. Both are trying to get by a recumbent bicyclist struggling with the hill. I looked to see if there was any room to swerve - no - curb etc looked behind me, no one, so applied brake forcefully. We passed each other, practically touching mirrors. The carts were obviously frustrated with the slow moving vehicle to take such a chance.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,303 Times in 4,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
I've noticed neither.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I've never noticed it. What is your opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Is that statement based on a poll of say 1,000 cart owners, on consultation with a psychic, or was that just floated out there as click-bait??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
I agree. I just went for a run on the MM path by Mallory CC. Every cart I encountered gave me plenty of space. I always thank them by giving them a wave.

There will always be a small percentage of bitter "get off my lawn" a**holes anywhere you go. Thankfully from my experience running and riding my mountain bike on the mm paths, they've been very few and far between.
Seems the OP is in the minority...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-16-2024, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Just now: going south on MMP to Colony cottage, in sharp turn cart is coming at me in my lane, behind him another cart, in my lane. Both are trying to get by a recumbent bicyclist struggling with the hill. I looked to see if there was any room to swerve - no - curb etc looked behind me, no one, so applied brake forcefully. We passed each other, practically touching mirrors. The carts were obviously frustrated with the slow moving vehicle to take such a chance.
Less than intelligent carts passing in a curb are the issue!
Old 02-16-2024, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Less than intelligent carts passing in a curb are the issue!
I agree, but their frustration was very evident. Long line up of carts behind them, rush hour from the rec center?
Old 02-16-2024, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

20 Years walking the MMP without incident(s).

No need waste keystrokes on isolated incidents!
Old 02-16-2024, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,974 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:

From the villages website.

Share the Path

"Who is allowed to use the multi-modal paths throughout The Villages?” This is a question that the District receives on a regular basis. The multi-modal paths are for use by NON-AUTOMOTIVE traffic such as bicycles, golf carts, pedestrians and skaters. It is not legal…nor is it smart…to drive vehicles such as smart cars, motorcycles, or mopeds on any of the multi-modal paths in The Villages. For additional information, please click on the header of this announcement to read a memo from District Counsel regarding the use of multi-modal paths.
Effective July 1, 2013, The Florida Legislature amended FS 319.14 to allow the conversion of a Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) to a golf cart. For additional information on the process of converting a LSV to a golf cart, please click on the following link: Low Speed Vehicles.

Can someone explain to me why bikers don’t obey rules of road? Can someone explain to why walkers don’t follow Florida sunshine regulations?
Old 02-16-2024, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,929 Times in 923 Posts

WOW, how did you all make it this far without realizing that not everyone follows rules, and not everyone is nice, and everyone makes stupid mistakes once in a while, especially when the perceived risk is small. And some people just think the world revolves around them.

Velvet's response proves the point again. . . driving cars and golf carts gets riskier as you age and add a few beverages, and especially when you get mentally distracted with other issues. . .

very dangerous out there if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:30 PM
Veteran member

States have different rules for sharing the road. Those who come from larger cities and Europe are accustomed to aggressive driving. When in Florida, these differences is an accident waiting to happen.

If you are walking or biking, it is safer to use the trails designed solely for this purpose. Like it not, golf carts are bigger and can cause serious injury. It is not worth risking your life to a driver who has different rules in his head than you. Both are expecting the other will automatically yield. In those few, I AM RIGHT seconds, an accident is likely occur.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 02-16-2024 at 11:41 PM.

Tags
golf, multi-modal, path, paths, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.