Is the music at the Squares unbearably LOUD?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 11-28-2019, 02:11 PM
talktome talktome is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 15
Thanks: 64
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Agree! I won't go to the squares anymore for that reason. MUSIC WAY TOO LOUD!
  #47  
Old 11-28-2019, 03:56 PM
OlifOlif OlifOlif is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Near the golf course
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

What about the band that played that set the other week? Tony says is was not enough for him to hear! Betty though so too!
  #48  
Old 11-28-2019, 04:46 PM
Ben Franklin's Avatar
Ben Franklin Ben Franklin is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 124
Thanks: 44
Thanked 79 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Don't sit next to the speakers ;-)
  #49  
Old 11-28-2019, 06:15 PM
Robbie0723 Robbie0723 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 590
Thanks: 426
Thanked 256 Times in 134 Posts
Default

My Apple Watch Noise app often triggers over 90 dB at the squares in the seating areas.

More than 30 minutes day or over 4 hrs a week at that level can cause hearing loss.

Impact may be more diminished in those with cumulitive hearing loss but I'd be especially careful limiting the time with children in the squares.

How to Protect Your Hearing With the Apple Watch Noise App | PCMag.com
Attached Thumbnails
50b55b35-e0a2-4427-9016-b65fcb8ef755-png  
  #50  
Old 11-28-2019, 06:36 PM
UpNorth UpNorth is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The cold Northeast
Posts: 317
Thanks: 2
Thanked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Better enjoy the performers while you can. Most of them will be getting deaf soon, so new acts will need to take their place.
  #51  
Old 11-28-2019, 07:01 PM
EdFNJ EdFNJ is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bailed out of NJ after 68yrs and headed south.
Posts: 2,293
Thanks: 400
Thanked 1,114 Times in 460 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
My Apple Watch Noise app often triggers over 90 dB at the squares in the seating areas.

More than 30 minutes day or over 4 hrs a week at that level can cause hearing loss.

Impact may be more diminished in those with cumulitive hearing loss but I'd be especially careful limiting the time with children in the squares.

How to Protect Your Hearing With the Apple Watch Noise App | PCMag.com

I have the A.W. 4 also but use another APP called Decibel X Pro. As I mentioned in an earlier post that app has a coupe times hit over 100db at the square by the booze house and often above 90db sitting in front of Starbucks for the louder groups. The answer is NOT "move out of The Villages" or "go somewhere else to listen to music". It is just possible they have their levels turned up a bit high at various times. For the SAME BAND (Johnny Wild as a specific example) sometimes it is not bad but sometimes it is painful. They have no set levels. The guy from the sound booth runs all around playing with the levels on his tablet. He controls each connected instrument, and each microphone. individually. The "consistency" changed after LSL and SS squares upgraded their sound system and lighting. Brownwood always had the newer equipment. Sometimes even the
relatively "quiet" solo performer with the prerecorded music behind her has vocal volume turned way too high. They are not as bothersome but still not properly balanced for the area and way above what it should be for the size of the listening area.
  #52  
Old 11-28-2019, 07:06 PM
EdFNJ EdFNJ is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bailed out of NJ after 68yrs and headed south.
Posts: 2,293
Thanks: 400
Thanked 1,114 Times in 460 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Better enjoy the performers while you can. Most of them will be getting deaf soon, so new acts will need to take their place.
Like Rocky and the Elders?
  #53  
Old 11-28-2019, 07:33 PM
laryb's Avatar
laryb laryb is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Buttonwood, formerly Dartmouth, Ma
Posts: 743
Thanks: 12
Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Every concert I've ever been to, and I've seen many of the greats, was loud. IMHO, unless you're listening to ballads, love songs, or the old standards, rock n' roll is supposed to be loud. Maybe a pair of foam earplugs might be the answer.
__________________
"I ain't as good as I once was,
But I'm as good once as I ever was!" Toby Keith
  #54  
Old 11-28-2019, 08:21 PM
WickedMike WickedMike is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Thanks: 12
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Yes some residents may be hard of hearing but with the loud music we will all develop hearing problems. Usually the break time music is much lower and tolerable. There a difference in loud and intolerable!!
  #55  
Old 11-28-2019, 10:04 PM
EdFNJ EdFNJ is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bailed out of NJ after 68yrs and headed south.
Posts: 2,293
Thanks: 400
Thanked 1,114 Times in 460 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Every concert I've ever been to, and I've seen many of the greats, was loud. IMHO, unless you're listening to ballads, love songs, or the old standards, rock n' roll is supposed to be loud. Maybe a pair of foam earplugs might be the answer.
THese are NOT CONCERTS that you are going to in professional venues. it's daily entertainment for the Villages "in the park." You're missing the point (well, my point, maybe not everyone's). We've gone just about every night for the last 2 1/2 years and the music was never THIS loud. It changed markedly and varies greatly. Loud is one thing, painful is another. It was not always that way. Now the same band on 2 different appearances at the same place can be twice as loud as the time before which was only a week or 2 earlier. These shows aren't intended for people in their 20's and 30's it for people generally 55+++. There is no need for dangerously loud music especially when it is different for the same band from one performance to the next. It's NOT THE BAND, it's the guy playing with sound levels in the booth.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 11-28-2019 at 10:10 PM.
  #56  
Old 11-29-2019, 02:23 AM
Challenger's Avatar
Challenger Challenger is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,172
Thanks: 48
Thanked 300 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
THese are NOT CONCERTS that you are going to in professional venues. it's daily entertainment for the Villages "in the park." You're missing the point (well, my point, maybe not everyone's). We've gone just about every night for the last 2 1/2 years and the music was never THIS loud. It changed markedly and varies greatly. Loud is one thing, painful is another. It was not always that way. Now the same band on 2 different appearances at the same place can be twice as loud as the time before which was only a week or 2 earlier. These shows aren't intended for people in their 20's and 30's it for people generally 55+++. There is no need for dangerously loud music especially when it is different for the same band from one performance to the next. It's NOT THE BAND, it's the guy playing with sound levels in the booth.
We go sometimes in the evenings to LSL for a sit out dinner. The last two times, the music has been so loud, that we could not carry on a conversation over dinner. Probably will avoid LSL in the evenings, until things get back to normal db ranges
__________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke 1729-1797
  #57  
Old 11-29-2019, 06:34 AM
Love2Swim Love2Swim is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 439
Thanks: 431
Thanked 328 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
I am trying to post a new idea but can’t find where you click on new post. My question is does anyone know for sure if they will be charging for premier seating at New Years squares. Three very good entertainers. Scooter, Johnny Wild, and the hooligans. I’m sure if they charged 50 bucks to see a tree lighting, they will charge for New Years eve
Good question.
  #58  
Old 11-29-2019, 07:14 AM
gmpipi@aol.com gmpipi@aol.com is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Most enjoy the added vibes the added volume produced!
  #59  
Old 11-29-2019, 07:50 AM
Villagevip Villagevip is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default

The music has to be loud for those that desire to hear it...This, B/C everyone sitting around, are loudly yapping away to everyone around them..Really, not there to listen to music! NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!
  #60  
Old 11-29-2019, 08:01 AM
VApeople VApeople is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,012
Thanks: 47
Thanked 472 Times in 168 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
It's NOT THE BAND, it's the guy playing with sound levels in the booth.
That is not true.

When Johnny Wild was playing at LSL a few days ago, one of the band members asked to have the volume increased.

After they sang "Surfin Safari" at a reasonable volume at the beginning of the second set, the curly haired guy on Johnny's left asked to have the amplifiers increased, and the next piece of music was unbearable. So we left.
Closed Thread

Tags
music, lake, loud, stand, sat

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.