My taxes went down 7%

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2022, 05:16 PM
Default My taxes went down 7%

I just received my trim notice for 2022. My taxes have gone down about 7% even though my assessed valuation has gone up.

We can only imagine how much lower it could’ve been had not the impact fees increase that the commissioners voted in went through.if it wasn’t for the developers politically connected politicians that nix it our taxes this year would have been much lower.

Just saying😊
Old 08-21-2022, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,876 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky25 View Post
I just received my trim notice for 2022. My taxes have gone down about 7% even though my assessed valuation has gone up.

We can only imagine how much lower it could’ve been had not the impact fees increase that the commissioners voted in went through.if it wasn’t for the developers politically connected politicians that nix it our taxes this year would have been much lower.

Just saying������
The continued investment in country infrastructure has kept taxes low and will continue to minimize future taxes.

Thank the developer for continued investments increasing jobs and value for all homeowners.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,000 Times in 5,366 Posts

Quote:

Just saying������
Please clarify what county you are referring to. Note that there are 3 counties in The Villages: Sumter, Lake, and Marion. My taxes went up 5.7 percent, and my assessment went up by 3 percent. That is in Lake County.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 08-21-2022 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,550 Times in 2,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
The continued investment in country infrastructure has kept taxes low and will continue to minimize future taxes.

Thank the developer for continued investments increasing jobs and value for all homeowners.
The Developer was the cause of the spike in demand for housing that drove values up? The value of the house I sold in Md increased at the same time (good for me) so is the Developer to thank for that too?

The Developer seems to be building as quickly as possible to create a supply of houses to meet the demand. My basic economics lessons told me prices increase when supply is low, not when supply is high. Wouldn't values have increased even more if the Developer had slowed or stopped building?

And really, I believe the continued investment in county infrastructure, needed to support the additional homes being added by the Developer, is what necessitated the 25% increase in taxes a few years ago.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-21-2022, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Please clarify what county you are referring to. Note that there are 3 counties in The Villages: Sumter, Lake, and Marion. My taxes went up 5.7 percent, even though my assessment went down by 3 percent. That is in Lake County.
It would be Sumter County and a home that qualifies for the Homestead tax credit and 3% Save our Homes cap.

Market value increased something like 30% (YMMV)
Assessed value increase was capped at 3% (due to Save Our Homes limit)
The Sumter County Rollback rate is a reduction of 9.1%
Which means County property taxes would decrease by about 6%
School tax rates and water management tax rates also decreased
Resulting in an overall ad-valorem property tax decrease of about 7%

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-22-2022, 05:36 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,929 Times in 3,721 Posts

Quote:
It's the Developer's fault.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,734 Times in 988 Posts

Are the TRIM notices available online? I tried to find mine in the Sumter Co. site, but had no luck.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,630 Times in 600 Posts

Ours went up. Available online for sumter
Old 08-22-2022, 06:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Are the TRIM notices available online? I tried to find mine in the Sumter Co. site, but had no luck.
Sumter County Tax Collector site then click to search for your house and follow links to the property appraiser info

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-22-2022, 06:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,876 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
The Developer was the cause of the spike in demand for housing that drove values up? The value of the house I sold in Md increased at the same time (good for me) so is the Developer to thank for that too?

The Developer seems to be building as quickly as possible to create a supply of houses to meet the demand. My basic economics lessons told me prices increase when supply is low, not when supply is high. Wouldn't values have increased even more if the Developer had slowed or stopped building?

And really, I believe the continued investment in county infrastructure, needed to support the additional homes being added by the Developer, is what necessitated the 25% increase in taxes a few years ago.
The additional revenue comes from adding over two billion dollars a year in new home taxable restate and is largely responsible for keeping taxes low.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,366 Times in 745 Posts

The INCREASE of taxes in Sumter county of 25% by the developer's backed commissioners was scaled back with more new homes coming into the tax base.

To say that there was a decrease in taxes is similar to saying you have lower gasoline expenditures. True measured against last month but false measured against last year which is a rational comparison.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,112 Times in 4,223 Posts

Quote:

Just saying😊
A naive and simplistic view at best. More development leads to more impact fees, so who pays them??? The ridiculous view is that "the developer" should pay them. They will NEVER pay them, they would simply be passed on in the cost of a new home. So the real issue is: Should just new homebuyers in TV bear the cost of impact fees, or Sumter County taxpayers in general?

If you live in Sumter Co. outside TV, of course you would want the cost to be paid by new home sales in TV-----even though they reap the benefit of improved infrastructure, more jobs, more retail and restaurant opportunities, etc.

If you live in a newly developed are of TV, of course you want the general public to bear the cost

If you already live in TV in an existing home, it doesn't really impact you much

And remember, all that new commercial space contributes to the tax base.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,366 Times in 625 Posts
Default TRIM notice

The TRIM notice is on the Sumter County Property Appraiser's site - not the Tax Collector's website.

This is the link.

D_SearchResults

Once you click on it, type your name in the Owner's name box at the top.
The click on run search in the lower right hand corner.

That should bring up your name and parcel ID.

Then click on the parcel ID and it should bring up information for your property. The TRIM notice is in the upper right corner (says 2022 TRIM (pdf). Click on that and you should have your taxes.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Just saying😊
Congrats. I'm in Sumter County and looked at my TRIM notice and I'm up 10%
Old 08-22-2022, 08:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,234 Times in 775 Posts

Who Hoo ! Now we have more money to buy gas !!!
Closed Thread

Tags
taxes, lower, fees, increase, commissioners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.