Narrowing down areas to live in TV: 466A-Buena Vista, Fenny and Moultrie Creek ???

Old 05-06-2024, 09:45 AM
Default Narrowing down areas to live in TV: 466A-Buena Vista, Fenny and Moultrie Creek ???

My wife and I are in the process of making TV our primary residence. I am 60, wife younger, work remotely, retire in next 5 years. Want to be retired day 1 and travel north-west for summers.

Integrating into neighborhood is very important to us. We are fun loving, social, non-drinkers. Not sure that is important for evaluating area (lol)

We have narrowed our choices down to the following areas.

1. 466a-Buena Vista area.
Pro: Vicinity to shopping, golfing, town squares, more established
Con: Is it at peak? Will we be able to integrate into an established neighborhood easily. Roof replacement and remodel costs nearer term. Age compatibility.

2. New home in Moultrie Creek/Shady Brook area.
Pro: Everything new, Equity bump, easier to recoup from picking wrong area. Like the plans for Middleton and Eastport
Con: Living in a proverbial "outpost" for a few years until things build around us. Vicinity to other town squares and shopping. Big Bond.

3. Fenny area.
Pro: Walking trails, nature vibes, between Brownwood and Eastport-Middleton.
Con: Distance to shopping and other amenities

All comments welcome. We have visited the Villages 5 times this winter, looked at street of dreams in Moultrie creek and visited the areas above. Not opposed to other areas, these are the areas that jumped out to us.

Huge fan of the this forum. Thanks in advance to those that reply.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:59 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,750 Times in 461 Posts

You’ve got a difficult choice, as all three of those areas are great!

I’m in Richmond, so all those areas are accessible to me under a 30 minute (or soon to be under 30) cart ride.

Have you considered the new part of Richmond that’s coming on-line sometime late this summer? I know it’s going to be extremely difficult and competitive to get in, but you may want to give it a shot. I think that area will check all your boxes - New build, close to existing restaurants and shopping in Brownwood, the age group will be lots of late 50s/early 60s, and all your neighbors will be new, which makes it super easy to make many new friends very quickly (no cliques have formed yet). You’ll also be under 30 minutes to all the fun and activities that will make up Eastport and Middleton. No idea what the bonds will be on the new part of Richmond.

Fenney, hands down, IMO, is the most beautiful village in our expansive community. I get down there multiple times per month, as it’s a short 20-25 minute golf cart ride from Richmond.

This is an exciting time for you, and good luck with your eventual choice, and congrats on getting a “jump start” on your retirement before you retire - I think that is a wise move.

Last edited by Michael 61; 05-06-2024 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:00 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,421 Times in 1,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post
My wife and I are in the process of making TV our primary residence. I am 60, wife younger, work remotely, retire in next 5 years. Want to be retired day 1 and travel north-west for summers.

Integrating into neighborhood is very important to us. We are fun loving, social, non-drinkers. Not sure that is important for evaluating area (lol)

Con: Is it at peak? Will we be able to integrate into an established neighborhood easily. Roof replacement and remodel costs nearer term. Age compatibility.

Pro: Everything new, Equity bump, easier to recoup from picking wrong area. Like the plans for Middleton and Eastport
Con: Living in a proverbial "outpost" for a few years until things build around us. Vicinity to other town squares and shopping. Big Bond.

3. Fenny area.

All comments welcome. We have visited the Villages 5 times this winter, looked at street of dreams in Moultrie creek and visited the areas above. Not opposed to other areas, these are the areas that jumped out to us.

In 5 years everything will be different than it is today. Existing homes will be 5 years older and there will most likely be a dozen more villages to look at by then. There will be a lot of retail being built after they widen 301 south of the turnpike so if that is what you want it opens up another area for you to consider.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,717 Times in 964 Posts

When I first came to TV, I had such a list. After a couple of years of seeing all of TV, I realized that I should have been more open to seeing more things. Our second home, we let the "this is the one" feeling hit us. It was new construction, something that I did not consider originally. No regrets. We love where we are in the south. Yes, not everything is here yet. But for us, that means that things just keep getting better as the building continues.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,294 Times in 2,300 Posts

We live in Pinellas, great area and a stable area, very few rentals, and this is now near the center of The Villages. There are a variety of houses with a few currently for sale. Traffic is reasonable, lots of activities nearby.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,223 Times in 5,423 Posts

We live just north of 466A in a 14 year old village of Bonita

When we moved here we were told that when you move into a new village your neighbors become your friends and quickly build a social life.

In an established village friendships already formed and can be difficult to build a social life. As a result we joined lots of clubs made good friends and socialize more than we have ever done before.

This is a great place to live and lots of things to take advantage of.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Most of the driving we do is going to the grocery store. Go to the area you want to live and drive to the grocery store.

For example, we quickly ruled out the Village of Pinellas because we would have to turn left onto busy Pinellas Place to get to the local Publix.

I truly hate to turn left onto a 4-lane road without a stop light. In my book, Pinellas Place is a 4-lane road (2 lanes for cars plus 2-lanes for golf carts).

Last edited by VApeople; 05-06-2024 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:08 PM
Veteran member

I think you should choose the home that best fits YOUR needs. Being with all newbies IS NOT a reason to buy a home. Cliques will form in any environment. Neighbors will come and go. Your wants and needs should be your priority.

Don't worry about making friends. You will join clubs, go to the rec centers, golf, eat out, and visit the squares. This is where you will find friends who share your interests. A true friend doesn't care if you live 15 - 30 minutes away from them. They care that you love your home and are truly happy.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Most of the driving we do is going to the grocery store. Go to the area you want to live and drive to the grocery store.

For example, we quickly ruled out the Village of Pinellas because we would have to turn left onto busy Pinellas Place to get to the local Publix.

I truly hate to turn left onto a 4-lane road without a stop light. In my book, Pinellas Place is a 4-lane road (2 lanes for cars plus 2-lanes for golf carts).
Or just make sure you drop a pin as soon as you close so, FedEx, UPS, Amazon and Kroger can find your front door. Grocery is such a waste of time and gas for us. We don’t shop at WinnDixie or Publix (except for bread and JRs Cheesecake).

Everything comes from either Kroger, TJ’s, WF, the farm, or commissary. I love our Kroger driver always rings the bell, smiles and waves. Everything is packed perfectly, no standing in line and my green bananas are really green
Old 05-06-2024, 06:06 PM

Don’t forget about the trees!
Old 05-06-2024, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,639 Times in 3,158 Posts

We moved into a neighborhood that had a lot of "old" people, and we were the "young" ones. We were given a warm welcome by our new "old" neighbors. Then some of the old ones died, others went to assisted living, and the people who moved in were younger. We're still "young" compared to many of our neighbors, but now we have a few younger than us! And we all give a warm welcome to everyone who moves in. Some become friends with their immediate neighbors on either side of the house, some become best buds with the folks across the street from them. Some don't really hang out with the folks nearest to them, but instead choose to socialize with the people around the corner on the next street over.

It's just like any other suburban residential neighborhood in any town in the USA. And - you could move into a brand new area, expecting to make fast friends with all the other new Villagers who buy in the same month as you. And then it turns out none of them like you. Or you don't like any of them. And again, it's just like any other suburban residential neighborhood in any town in the USA.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post

3. Fenny area.

It so much easier making new friends in new neighborhoods and most will be in your age group. The stores and restaurants will come.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:18 AM
Veteran member

5 years is a long time. Anything can happen by then, lots of changes can happen by then and could change the way you feel about the areas you have chosen.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:28 AM
Default Location

Richmond across the street. LOCATION is two minutes to Brownwood square and grocery store. If you ever decide it's not for you the resale will be really good. But it will be very difficult to get one of those homes there will be a lot of people trying. We were in a similar situation and had a really good VLS agent. LOCATION LOCATION
Old 05-07-2024, 05:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,646 Times in 963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

And - you could move into a brand new area, expecting to make fast friends with all the other new Villagers who buy in the same month as you. And then it turns out none of them like you. Or you don't like any of them. And again, it's just like any other suburban residential neighborhood in any town in the USA.
Or the entire block are short term rentals.

Tags
areas, area, pro, con, moultrie

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.