Narrowing down areas to live in TV: 466A-Buena Vista, Fenny and Moultrie Creek ???

Old 05-07-2024, 05:53 AM

Welcome! My wife and have come here for a few years and finally built in the Enclave in Dabney. South as you can go on the east side of the Turnpike. We love the new area! We think it's up and coming, we meet so many new people daily because we are all in the same position. We find so many are still working. I'm 54, wife is 46. Cart rides are easy anywhere from Brownwood to Middleton. Lake Sumpter is a 56 minute cart ride and we still do it. It's the Village Way!. So that's south.

I think the new Richmond is interesting??? Great location. Not sure what lots will look like and selection. We were very picky and wanted a pie shaped water/preserve view.

Now, Fenney is my favorite and I think it is the most beautiful village. Funny bit of history. Noone wanted to buy there when it was being developed. It was disconnected, didn't have a cart path established yet and basically the outcast. Look, few years later it is probably one of the most well spoken about Villages in our community.

Which brings me to Moultrie Creek and all the new development going on in the south/west region. I think it is going to be the hottest ticket. Right across from Eastport which will turn out to be the best Town Square. If you have patience for construction and retail, I believe you will be handsomely rewarded in value bump and lifestyle.

I think it is safe to say, you really can't go wrong. Everything has pros and cons. One thing is for sure, we all live in the most magical place. I count my blessings every day that we moved here at a younger age and get to enjoy it for the rest of our lives.

Good luck! Enjoy the journey.
Thanks
Serge
Old 05-07-2024, 05:54 AM
Default “The Place”

There is no good answer to your question! Every place has its pros and cons as you have mentioned. When we bought 3 years ago we had a few non-negotiable, high priority things we were looking for. I wanted a large kitchen island and I wanted to be near walking trails. My husband wanted low maintenance and didn’t want to remodel. This meant we moved south of 44 (walking trails- none above 44 much) and newer homes with open kitchens and big islands and little maintenance. We are very happy with our choice. If your highest priorities are things like quick access to big box stores, mature landscaping, and lower bond, I’d pick a home north of 44. If you like a younger crowd, walking and biking trails, and newer homes, pick a newer area.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:08 AM
Default Welcome!

You’re going to love it here. We bought our house in Hadley when it was new and we weren’t yet retired. We worried about being at the southernmost end of The Villages. Fast forward (and I mean FAST) and now we’re just north of the middle.
When we first arrived, we got one piece of advice from our friend’s dad. He said, “Don’t make too many friends.” We thought that was hilarious. Again, fast forward, and we have a large group of fabulous friends who are much more like family to us. Only one of them lives on our street.
In other words, I don’t think you can go wrong. I like being close to a family pool because we have lots of grandkids who visit and I can zip home and bring back lunch. I also love to grocery shop in my golf cart. Neither are things I’d have considered when we bought.
Enjoy this wonderful time in your lives!
Old 05-07-2024, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We live just north of 466A in a 14 year old village of Bonita

When we moved here we were told that when you move into a new village your neighbors become your friends and quickly build a social life.

In an established village friendships already formed and can be difficult to build a social life. As a result we joined lots of clubs made good friends and socialize more than we have ever done before.

This is a great place to live and lots of things to take advantage of.
Agree, there's advantages to having a life outside your neighborhood.

It can be unwise to get too close to your neighbors. I've met several people who ended up moving because neighbors got to much into their business.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:16 AM

Location is the most important, and that location type is a matter of personal preference. Also, don't bank location on what will hopefully be built nearby later. Bank it on what you can experience and test out now.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,130 Times in 560 Posts
Default South 466A

Great spots, but avoid the homes closest to 44A if you decide to locate between 466A and 44. A super sized pickle ball court is going in there near the Baker House. The village of Lake Deaton would be a definite no for us.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-07-2024, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post

We have narrowed our choices down to the following areas.

2. New home in Moultrie Creek/Shady Brook area.
Pro: Everything new, Equity bump, easier to recoup from picking wrong area. Like the plans for Middleton and Eastport
Con: Living in a proverbial "outpost" for a few years until things build around us. Vicinity to other town squares and shopping. Big Bond.
The area north of Eastport could be interesting.

Constructing is starting iin Wellpoint which is within 2mi north of Eastport. Is closer to Sawgrass and Magnolia with established business.

Also closer to Brownwood, Ednas and Fenny.

Recently built preowned just north of there could be interesting.

Last edited by Altavia; 05-07-2024 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata View Post
It so much easier making new friends in new neighborhoods and most will be in your age group. The stores and restaurants will come.
My vote is for number2. Buy a brand new home and get just what you want. You'll have a one year warranty on everything. You can d you own landscape additions. Your home insurance will be lower because you have a new roof. By the time you're ready to settle down here permanently, the area will have more retail.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:28 AM
Default “The Place”

There is no good answer to your question! Every place has its pros and cons as you have mentioned. When we bought 3 years ago we had a few non-negotiable, high priority things we were looking for. I wanted a large kitchen island and I wanted to be near walking trails. My husband wanted low maintenance and didn’t want to remodel. This meant we moved south of 44 (walking trails- none above 44 much) and newer homes with open kitchens and big islands and little maintenance. We are very happy with our choice. If your highest priorities are things like quick access to big box stores, mature landscaping, and lower bond, I’d pick a home north of 44. If you like a younger crowd, walking and biking trails, and newer homes, pick a newer area.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:33 AM

I have a house for sale on Carrillo St in the Santiago section that my fit your needs.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:46 AM

Fenney is probably the nicest looking area in the villages, but it’s not close to anything yet. Eastport will be easily accessible to Fenney residents. The south of 44 has a younger crowd, fiber network, better mmp’s, separate walking paths from golf cart paths, many lots with pond/prairie views, and newer residents to make friends fast.
You will pay more in bond fees, lake county can have higher taxes, utility bills, but the lots can be really cheap compared to fenney.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:55 AM
Default Recently moved to TV.

Quote:
My wife and I are in the process of making TV our primary residence. I am 60, wife younger, work remotely, retire in next 5 years. Want to be retired day 1 and travel north-west for summers.

Integrating into neighborhood is very important to us. We are fun loving, social, non-drinkers. Not sure that is important for evaluating area (lol)

1. 466a-Buena Vista area.
Pro: Vicinity to shopping, golfing, town squares, more established
Con: Is it at peak? Will we be able to integrate into an established neighborhood easily. Roof replacement and remodel costs nearer term. Age compatibility.

Pro: Everything new, Equity bump, easier to recoup from picking wrong area. Like the plans for Middleton and Eastport
Con: Living in a proverbial "outpost" for a few years until things build around us. Vicinity to other town squares and shopping. Big Bond.

3. Fenny area.
Pro: Walking trails, nature vibes, between Brownwood and Eastport-Middleton.
Con: Distance to shopping and other amenities

All comments welcome. We have visited the Villages 5 times this winter, looked at street of dreams in Moultrie creek and visited the areas above. Not opposed to other areas, these are the areas that jumped out to us.

Huge fan of the this forum. Thanks in advance to those that reply.
My husband works remotely and I am retired and 61. Moved into the established Village of Sanibel and couldn’t be happier. Right between Brownwood and Sumpter Landing. So convenient to shops, restaurants and squares. Four pools within a mile and several country clubs close by as well. Bond paid down. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:11 AM
Default Very similar situation

Quote:
My wife and I are in the process of making TV our primary residence. I am 60, wife younger, work remotely, retire in next 5 years. Want to be retired day 1 and travel north-west for summers.

Integrating into neighborhood is very important to us. We are fun loving, social, non-drinkers. Not sure that is important for evaluating area (lol)

1. 466a-Buena Vista area.
Pro: Vicinity to shopping, golfing, town squares, more established
Con: Is it at peak? Will we be able to integrate into an established neighborhood easily. Roof replacement and remodel costs nearer term. Age compatibility.

3. Fenny area.
Pro: Walking trails, nature vibes, between Brownwood and Eastport-Middleton.
Con: Distance to shopping and other amenities

All comments welcome. We have visited the Villages 5 times this winter, looked at street of dreams in Moultrie creek and visited the areas above. Not opposed to other areas, these are the areas that jumped out to us.

Huge fan of the this forum. Thanks in advance to those that reply.
We have a similar situation. I am 59, my wife is younger. I plan to retire in 6 years. We landed in Hadley 2 months ago and we love it. Between Sumter & Brownwood. Colony shopping center with everything only 1 mile away. Havana CC golf, restaurant and pool less than 1 mile. Incredibly welcoming neighbors. At least 30 people have stopped by to welcome us. I can't say enough about how lucky we feel to have landed here. I am a realtor and realize purchasing the right home is very important. Just wanted to bring this area to your attention.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:25 AM
Default Cart forever to store

They want to sell you below hwy 44 for new houses with not much to go to down there just houses. The original idea is you can drive a golf cart 20 min to lots of golf, stores and restaurants - guess what only if you buy preowned ABOVE HWY 44. If people REALIZE and ONLY buy PREOWNED above HWY 44 presto bango all kinds of stores will be down there. The Villages WENT CHEAP and hoped that noone would notice you have to drive 30-40 min for any store, restaurants or golf courses and it ONLY has HOUSES down there
Old 05-07-2024, 09:30 AM

Live at Linden, south of 44. Yes Fenny has the best Landscaping and is now closer with Water Lilly Bridge. I play lots of golf near 466a and the cart ride is not far. If that is a priority then getting there would be quicker. Buena Vista has fantastic landscaping. We are very happy with our decision. Good luck. It’s a fantastic place to retire or work from home.

Tags
areas, area, pro, con, moultrie

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.