Need Your Input...Kindness Day for Camp Villages

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Default Need Your Input...Kindness Day for Camp Villages

:dontknow:
I use the "don't know" critter for I do not know and would like some Villagers' insights.
June,July,August are three months where The Villages offers an Intergenerational Camp of visiting children. Most activities which residents and their grandchildren may sign up for deal with sports, crafts, hands-on activities. There is an organization called Kindness Works International which has several residents of The Villages on their volunteer board who would like to have a Kindness Day at Camp Villages this summer. Norman Lee wrote the lyrics for and sings a wonderful song entitled One Act of Kindness which he has agreed to perform, the 1995 World Champion of Public Speaking having defeated 22,000 other speakers to win Toastmasters' crown may appear, various kindness hands-on activities would be demonstrated and acted upon by attendees. Kindness ideas would be shared in forms of handouts so follow up may occur. The program would touch attendees heads to make them think, hearts to make them feel, and hopefully hands to make them act. Our children need to become part of a kindness/compassion epidemic not passive observers of what the media primarily portrays to/for them.
Do you think a Kindness Day would succeed and please share your candid opinions and suggestions. For as I began..."I just don't know" and seek your advice/input/opinions.
My e-mail is greg0326@comcast.net
Thank you kindly!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Default Intergenerational Camps for Kids

Can anyone please tell me if there are any Intergenerational Camps for Kids for kids in the Villages, as I would like to get involved, trying to find out calendar of events, if they have one, and contact details.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Sage

I think it would be great. There are dozens of acts of kindness from people on this board everyday it is amazing and encouraging. From people helping with lost pets to technical support for computers to words of encouragement for ailing loved ones to checking on people's homes. It goes on and on...

Here's one example of many, many, just on this forum. Apparently someone on this forum assisted someone get a vehicle not long ago. Long story, but someone posted needed assistance getting a cheap car to continue going to work at a local coffe shop. After much back and forth, the person who posted the original request thanked everyone for their suggestions and then .... she thanked someone for helping her get a car. She left the person as anonymous to us readers. But that really stuck with me. I hope it ripples. I think your idea for a Kindness Day at the camp would be wonderful.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Sage

Anyone else have an opinion about this?

optimist wrote: "There is an organization called Kindness Works International which has several residents of The Villages on their volunteer board who would like to have a Kindness Day at Camp Villages this summer...Do you think a Kindness Day would succeed and please share your candid opinions and suggestions."

http://www.kindnessworksinternational.org/
Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Sage

It sounds terrific. I would think grandparents and parents in TV would be proud to participate in such a program with their visiting youngsters. I hope you will pursue this and wish you every success!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Sounds awesome

Don't know but here are some ideas...to have peeps on TOTV to ask their neighbors if they need lawn work/house work done, groceries gotten, pharmacy scripts picked up. To give each kid some money- in ones -with a helper to monitor -and tell them they have to give it away to others by the end of the day...to help at the dog shelter...to scoop doggy poop in areas....walk dogs...to pick up liter...to pay for the person behind you in line ...at Starbucks...McDonalds..... To wash cars or golf carts for free...

Kids need to learn the JOY in giving...

Last edited by ssmith; 07-10-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.