New Bicycle Law effective July 1, 2021

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2021, 08:15 PM
Default New Bicycle Law effective July 1, 2021

Just to share information to all of us: The governor signed into law CS/SB 950 on bicycle and pedestrian safety.

Some of the bicycle provisions that all automobile and golf cart drivers need to know:

1) Providing that no-passing zones do not apply to motorists who safely and briefly drive to the left of center of the roadway to overtake a bicycle, provided that such a passing continues to give the cyclist the necessary three feet passing clearance. If a motorist cannot safely pass at a distance of 3 feet or more, the law clearly states they must wait until a safe moment to pass.

2) Requiring a vehicle making a right turn while overtaking and/or passing a cyclist to do so only if the cyclist is at least 20 feet from the intersection and at a distance that the driver of the vehicle may safely turn. [Trying to prevent what bicyclists refer to as a "right hook"]

3) Authorizing cyclists riding in groups, after coming to a full stop, to go through an intersection in groups of 10 or fewer. Motorists are now required to let one such group pass before proceeding. [This should allow for better traffic flow for all vehicles.]

4) Providing guidelines for riding a bicycle in a substandard width lane and authorizing cyclists to ride two abreast to avoid dangerous conditions. [This allows bicycle groups to shorten up the length of their group, making passing easier for faster motor vehicles]

5) Requires at least 25 questions in the test bank for the driver license test to address bicycle and pedestrian safety.

Hope this clarifies some misunderstandings that will inevitably occur.

Cheers!
Old 07-11-2021, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,689 Times in 3,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60North View Post
Just to share information to all of us: The governor signed into law CS/SB 950 on bicycle and pedestrian safety.

Some of the bicycle provisions that all automobile and golf cart drivers need to know:

1) Providing that no-passing zones do not apply to motorists who safely and briefly drive to the left of center of the roadway to overtake a bicycle, provided that such a passing continues to give the cyclist the necessary three feet passing clearance. If a motorist cannot safely pass at a distance of 3 feet or more, the law clearly states they must wait until a safe moment to pass.

2) Requiring a vehicle making a right turn while overtaking and/or passing a cyclist to do so only if the cyclist is at least 20 feet from the intersection and at a distance that the driver of the vehicle may safely turn. [Trying to prevent what bicyclists refer to as a "right hook"]

3) Authorizing cyclists riding in groups, after coming to a full stop, to go through an intersection in groups of 10 or fewer. Motorists are now required to let one such group pass before proceeding. [This should allow for better traffic flow for all vehicles.]

4) Providing guidelines for riding a bicycle in a substandard width lane and authorizing cyclists to ride two abreast to avoid dangerous conditions. [This allows bicycle groups to shorten up the length of their group, making passing easier for faster motor vehicles]

5) Requires at least 25 questions in the test bank for the driver license test to address bicycle and pedestrian safety.

Cheers!
I like #3. But I'd also like to see a "rolling stop" proviso for bicyclists. Even if it is only applicable for cyclists coming to a stop on an incline (hill). I'd also like to see some regulations for e-bicycles, specifically. There've been a few times that I've been cut off by them zipping past at speeds faster than 20mph, on the MMPs.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,365 Times in 744 Posts

I would like a 'yield to pedestrians in the cross walk' for the SUV who tried to run over my wife in a recumbent at Pinellas Place and 466a yesterday.

No wait, that IS a law already.

Had I not been blocking the SUV with my two wheeled bike you would be reading about her death today. Slow down and LOOK for cyclists!
Old 07-12-2021, 06:50 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Disagree with the "rolling stop"...anywhere. You want to ride a bike? You have to abide by motor vehicle laws where applicable. Most of the cyclists I observe do NOT do even a rolling stop. If you can't do a track stand then you'll have to put your feet down. If you don't like to have to do that then pick routes that don't have lights or stop signs. Also learn to signal your intent when approaching an intersection. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,089 Times in 4,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Disagree with the "rolling stop"...anywhere. You want to ride a bike? You have to abide by motor vehicle laws where applicable. Most of the cyclists I observe do NOT do even a rolling stop. If you can't do a track stand then you'll have to put your feet down. If you don't like to have to do that then pick routes that don't have lights or stop signs. Also learn to signal your intent when approaching an intersection. Thanks.
Agree, and would add, in the OP's own summary of the law:

3) Authorizing cyclists riding in groups, after coming to a full stop, to go through an intersection in groups of 10 or fewer. Motorists are now required to let one such group pass before proceeding.

That does NOT mean blow through stop signs in a group of 30.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:32 AM

Imo, a safe rolling stop proviso for bicyclists would be very reasonable. It is already law in several states.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:

Cheers!
REALITY. Law is an attempt to deal with reality. To do that it assumes that people will know the law and follow it. We all know from life experience that is not so.

People, so typical read the posts on any thread. All are why I am right and everyone not me is wrong. Simply explains why the conflicts.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,089 Times in 4,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
REALITY. Law is an attempt to deal with reality. To do that it assumes that people will know the law and follow it. We all know from life experience that is not so.

People, so typical read the posts on any thread. All are why I am right and everyone not me is wrong. Simply explains why the conflicts.
Indeed it does
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	not arguing.jpg
Views:	2344
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	90093  
Old 07-13-2021, 05:07 AM

If you want to use the crosswalk get off your bike and walk
Old 07-13-2021, 05:15 AM

It is beyond my understanding why a cyclist would like to be in competition with a 6500 pound vehicle on these roadways in the villages.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:38 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,569 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I would like a 'yield to pedestrians in the cross walk' for the SUV who tried to run over my wife in a recumbent at Pinellas Place and 466a yesterday.

No wait, that IS a law already.

Had I not been blocking the SUV with my two wheeled bike you would be reading about her death today. Slow down and LOOK for cyclists!
Your wife isnt a pedestrian when shes on a bike and was she riding or walking it across the street? How about giving more detailed info rather than slamming the suv drivet
Old 07-13-2021, 05:54 AM

I hope #2 “right hook “ would apply to cars overtaking golf carts. I’ve had several close calls when cars” right hook” me turning into gates and streets. =60North;1971709]Just to share information to all of us: The governor signed into law CS/SB 950 on bicycle and pedestrian safety.

Cheers![/QUOTE]
Old 07-13-2021, 05:56 AM

Bicycles should have license plates so the riders actions can be recorded and reported. Bicyclist are very dangerous and a tragedy is coming.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:01 AM
Veteran member

And yet the other day A large group of bicyclists did not pull over to let me pass they were riding six or eight of breast taking up the full Lane
Old 07-13-2021, 06:01 AM
Default Bicycle rules

Quote:

Cheers!
Thanks for posting, my husband and I ride our bikes almost every day, we have been almost hit several times by inconsiderate golf cart drivers. They continued to go around with little or no space and almost hit us very very close calls around curves, without waiting no patience, beeping, it's horrible.
None will observe or read these rules.
Closed Thread

Tags
bicycle, passing, pass, safely, feet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.