New owners don't know whether to buy or rent a cart.

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Default New owners don't know whether to buy or rent a cart.

Hello.

My wife and I are new buyers in The Villages. As of now, we do not have a golf cart. Due to present circumstances, we will be in our Villages house for only three months each year and renting it for two.

I don't know if we should buy a cart, knowing it will be sitting there for seven months a year, or rent one each time we go down and let renters rent their own.

I can see pros and cons for each action, but would like to hear from other Villagers.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,336 Times in 874 Posts

It's math thing......what does a rental cost you for three months? How much to purchase a cart then let it sit for 9 months. You don't want to include the cart for the renters since you can't get insurance for someone else to use your cart and your renters insurance won't cover it either. The other advantage of renting is you get to try out a bunch of carts so you can make an informed buying decision when you get to that point.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 PM

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum on why you should not include a golf cart in a rental. The search function should give you more than enough information.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 PM

Things to consider:

How long (if ever) until I move here permanently?
Will I allow renters to use my cart? If so, what are the liability issues?
Could I get by with a used cart (substantial savings over new)?
If renters use my cart who will put it into dormancy (stabilizer in gas or batteries cared for so they don't go flat)?

We moved here six months ago and a cart was our first purchase, but we're full time residents. I would look at the timeline for permanent move and make my decision based on that. If it's more than 3 years, I'd rent or possibly buy a used cart. If it's less I'd be tempted to buy. Just remember to get it ready to be dormant for when you're gone each time you leave.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:49 PM
Sage

What months will you be here?
Old 01-10-2016, 10:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Apple View Post
Hello.

My wife and I are new buyers in The Villages. As of now, we do not have a golf cart. Due to present circumstances, we will be in our Villages house for only three months each year and renting it for two.

I don't know if we should buy a cart, knowing it will be sitting there for seven months a year, or rent one each time we go down and let renters rent their own.

I can see pros and cons for each action, but would like to hear from other Villagers.

Thanks.
Call your insurance agent and ask if you can get a golf cart policy for your renters to use the cart, covering liability.

Then call all the other agencies when that one says "no".

Keep in mind the t.v. ads and freeway billboards that assure you, "Morgan and Morgan, For the People".

In your situation, I'd buy one only if I could find an empty garage stall where I could store it while we're gone and while renters are occupying the home. And I'd buy a gas cart so there's no babysitting/maintenance of the batteries on an electric cart while gone for months.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:20 AM

Mar, Apr, Oct
Old 01-11-2016, 08:03 AM

I had a cart come with the house when I purchased in March. It didn't last 3 weeks. But I was able to get $1000.00 for it and bought a 2005 that was in great shape and newly overhauled for just $2500.00 and my old cart. You don't need to spend 20 grand like many folks do down here. There are good used carts everywhere. One suggestion; don't buy an electric cart. Distances down here are too great sometimes for the charge. Just IMHO
Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,138 Times in 1,360 Posts

The rental carts are usually not very good.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Hello.

Thanks.

My husband & I own but will not be down full time until next year. When we come down we rent a cart. We prefer to have a full warranty on the cart when we arrive. The difference is we come down 4x a year for 10 days at a time.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,361 Posts

There are excellent carts to rent. Grandpa grandma's if you call them ahead of time have a cart for you and we have never been dis pointed. If you're only staying few months I would Rent, and then reserve one for your renters when they come. You need a home watch to run your cart once a week while you are away if you buy
Old 01-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Veteran member
Default rent

Quote:
Hello.

Thanks.

Rent
Old 01-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Mar, Apr, Oct
These are beautiful months to be here but not as popular. I would get the phone numbers of the agencies that rent carts and see if you can get a deal. They may have lot of inventory. Personally, I think an e-bike, a fun sports car and a high horse is a better fit for me but that's after a tried living with a rented cart for 6 weeks.

Last edited by tomwed; 01-11-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:19 PM

We have a 4 seater 2012 for sale. It is gas. Asking 8K paid 13500 when we purchased it. Excellent condition. I will be adding it to classified ads today. Call Tony at 352-350-3446. Golf carts are getting. Expensive to rent and you could get more for your rental if u had one. Renters sure seem to appreciate it. Ann
Old 01-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

I'm a seasonal resident. Our gas cart and car are unused for 6 months at a time. I have no problems. I do not rent.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, rent, villages, months, buy, year, sitting, time, cons, hear, villagers, action, knowing, pros, renters, house, buyers, wife, owners, renting, circumstances, golf, due, present

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.