New Sinkhole in St. James on Edenville Path.

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default New Sinkhole in St. James on Edenville Path.

We went to check on interior of friends home in St. James and passed a very wide but not very deep sink hole 2'-3' it looked like from the car in the 2500 block of Edenville path. It is the side toward the pond. It came right up to the base of the person's home in the side and front yard.

The ponds are up everywhere past the treelines and they are running sprinklers everywhere to get them to come down.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Default Wow

Did you report it to the villages???
Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonandParker View Post
They already had a bunch of trucks and yellow tape and all. Some of the trucks were Comcast.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-25-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonandParker View Post
Village watch picks up those kind of things on their rounds.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We went to check on interior of friends home in St. James and passed a very wide but not very deep sink hole 2'-3' it looked like from the car in the 2500 block of Edenville path. It is the side toward the pond. It came right up to the base of the person's home in the side and front yard.

The ponds are up everywhere past the treelines and they are running sprinklers everywhere to get them to come down.
I am hoping that this sinkhole will be an isolated incident,but i doubt it.With all the rainfall we've had , the redirecting of the water by way of storm sewers,and the rock formations underground it does not look good.Just gives the insurance companies more ammunition to increase future premiums and deductibles.Before long they will all completely stop writing sinkhole coverage .
Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Karl says 8.11" of rain in the Sunday 24 hr. period. There is more since and yes sinkholes could develop with this kind of rainfall.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 PM

I was just posting something on Fenwick Loop down here in Sanibel too. Saw all the golf course sprinkler activity and some localized flooding on a few courses on my drive down from LSL this morning. The activity on fewick looked like there was some sort of engineer over there overseeing all the dump trucks and bulldozing and of course there will be asphalt repair to come. This morning it looked fine..this evening evidently something major happened. That was alot of dump trucks and the lot also back to a large pond as well. Have been watching the pond since its WAY up too.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 PM

I thought I would add my two cents I researched and talked to one of the builders about. NOT a supt but the builder. With all of the rain, people are so worried about sinkholes. I too was worried and asked. He told me, than went out to "prove" it on a site with a cavity. He had a 5 ft rod with a T-handle. he pushed down in various areas. It went down about 3 ft in every area along a stretch from the side of the house to the back. Some areas more than others. Especially on newer homes, the utility (cable/power) underground lines are trenched. Due to the rains, these "settle" more so they feel squishy and sink down some. As he plotted along I could see what he was talking about. the cable or power companies, and The Villages are out there with their trucks and backhoes filling these back in AND making sure the lines are fine. Sounds like wha tthis one may have been.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Veteran member

Thanks anlashokna and Roaddog53 for the information and PM on what's going on down on Fenwick Loop. We just bought there and are preparing to move this weekend. If you or anyone else hear any more about what's happening we'd sure like to hear from you. This sure rattled our cage when we read it.
Thanks again,
A-4
Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM

Its the nature of the land A-4. Long drought and heavy rains equal ground movement/erosion. We were jittery about it but as many homes built down here its a small percentage thing. But wakes you up when something happens nearby! Like I said not I was thinking wash out but with the amount of dirt and bulldozing its strikes more of a fill/fix. Maybe the paper will have something on this in the paper. (fenwick one).
Old 06-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Veteran member

As for sink hole coverage .they would not write me coverage last week on my house. Liberty
Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

Are sink holes more prevalent in newly-constructed areas vs. established neighborhoods?
Or the same risk regardless?

Gene
Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Veteran member
Default Sink hole coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
As for sink hole coverage .they would not write me coverage last week on my house. Liberty
I just got sink hole coverage on my new homeowners from The Villages Insurance. House and contents about $22 a year
Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

This is actually second hole that I know of on Edenville -- the other was about 5 houses down from this one. Neither of these were very deep sinkholes and both were quickly repaired by TV. Hopefully, this new one will cause no damage to the home -- the last one didn't.

What was interesting was watching a diver do some work on the pond yesterday -- not exactly sure what was being done. I'd guess something to do with pumps or drainage (that pond is FULL!!!).

The explanation about utilities and sand certainly makes sense to me. At least it seems to be a quick and easy fix.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Veteran member

These would be catastrophic ground collapse not sinkhole. If home damaged it would be covered by homeowners insurance.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.