observations regarding home locations and cost

Old 05-21-2024, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofthecountry View Post
My wife and I have noticed that many of the homes we are looking at under MLS or VLS from up north in TV are from 2000-2004 [not considering the east with the mobile home section] Most have all been updated, roof, hvac, water heater, and sometimes appliances, floor, etc, most no bond which is good. But they are now 20 to 24 years old, and I have heard/read that some insurance companies won’t insure homes that are at this age, even with a new roof. Then there is the fact that there will be obvious work needing to be done on older homes. Then we move towards the middle of TV and we see homes built in 2008-let’s say to 2013 and many of these may have nice upgrades like cabinets, epoxy garage, garage screen, lani cage, etc, etc, but the major stuff like roof, hvac, water heater, flooring are like in between their shelf life and have not been replaced, and of course a bond that usually has some kind of balance. So if we purchased one from that era, we are looking at a new roof not too far down the road and perhaps more cost with other appliances, hvac, water heater, etc to replace. Then going south some are built in 2017-2019, obviously new enough for not having to think about roof, etc, right now, but much higher bond and usually more expensive than in northern area. Then of course there are new builds and spec homes with everything new, but highest bond payment. So we are on the fence as to which way to proceed. On the one hand perhaps paying the higher bond is better and cheaper, than having an older house but having to put more money in it for what I described above. I am aware of the two sides of the coin as to whether new or resale. I’m also aware of the pros and cons to the north vs south part of TV, such as: closer/further away to amenities, stores, doctors, etc. My wife and I do not care which part of TV other than we want Sumter county. We are in our late 60’s early 70’s and realize we will not be in the home 30 years. We are looking to buy 350 and under, no mortgage. We have been here to visit two times, and are doing another life style visit late summer with the intent to make a decision since I want to retire this December. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you
We actually made a spreadsheet with a list of the important items to us and then awarded point values as we looked. We also had a smaller budget like yours. We ended up with a new courtyard villa. Yes we have a bond but no house payment, everything is new and under warranty. We have personalized it as we have gone along and love it. There will always be bigger, newer homes that come along but this suits us just fine.

We also looked at other communities, but while the homes may be slightly less money you don’t get there what we have here. Good luck to you.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:55 AM
Default Purchase dilemma

Quote:
My wife and I have noticed that many of the homes we are looking at under MLS or VLS from up north in TV are from 2000-2004 [not considering the east with the mobile home section] Most have all been updated, roof, hvac, water heater, and sometimes appliances, floor, etc, most no bond which is good. But they are now 20 to 24 years old, and I have heard/read that some insurance companies won’t insure homes that are at this age, even with a new roof. Then there is the fact that there will be obvious work needing to be done on older homes. Then we move towards the middle of TV and we see homes built in 2008-let’s say to 2013 and many of these may have nice upgrades like cabinets, epoxy garage, garage screen, lani cage, etc, etc, but the major stuff like roof, hvac, water heater, flooring are like in between their shelf life and have not been replaced, and of course a bond that usually has some kind of balance. So if we purchased one from that era, we are looking at a new roof not too far down the road and perhaps more cost with other appliances, hvac, water heater, etc to replace. Then going south some are built in 2017-2019, obviously new enough for not having to think about roof, etc, right now, but much higher bond and usually more expensive than in northern area. Then of course there are new builds and spec homes with everything new, but highest bond payment. So we are on the fence as to which way to proceed. On the one hand perhaps paying the higher bond is better and cheaper, than having an older house but having to put more money in it for what I described above. I am aware of the two sides of the coin as to whether new or resale. I’m also aware of the pros and cons to the north vs south part of TV, such as: closer/further away to amenities, stores, doctors, etc. My wife and I do not care which part of TV other than we want Sumter county. We are in our late 60’s early 70’s and realize we will not be in the home 30 years. We are looking to buy 350 and under, no mortgage. We have been here to visit two times, and are doing another life style visit late summer with the intent to make a decision since I want to retire this December. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you
Possibly consider selling your home 12/2024 & renting in Villages 2025. Thru 2025, home prices expected to drop bc of economy. Not sure % TV drops vs other markets, but somewhat less than current prices. TBills over 5% return, let your $$$ earn
to help offset rent & keep searching for that perfect buy.
VillagersHomes4Rent
unfurnished
Old 05-21-2024, 05:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,203 Times in 908 Posts

For me it was all about location. I'm a sucker for a view, so lakefront was the most important aspect, cash transaction with no bond, and close to my fave pickleball courts. I have loved renovating my older manufactured home, so being close to Home Depot was also a must! The historic section has everything I need and enjoy, especially a bigger lot that gives me more privacy. Good luck with your search and choice of home!
Old 05-21-2024, 06:08 AM

Insurance companies do not insure manufactured homes in the historic side because they’ve outlived their life expectancy. There should be no problem insuring a home not on the historic side. There are many good homes north of 466 that are close to shopping, close to medical care, have no bond, mature landscaping, and are very comfortable to live in. We live just south of Spanish Springs and would not trade our location for anything.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:12 AM

Quote:
When we purchased just 2 years ago, there were many homes “in the middle” built 2010-2016 or so with new roofs, some upgrades and zero to minimal bond. That was our “sweet spot”. Some upgrades are a personal decision- we have granite which I love and have no interest in upgrading to White cabinets and the same white Quartz with the gray veining everyone else is doing. Too cookie cutter for me! You’ll find your dream home with just a little patience!
Old 05-21-2024, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
For $350,000 in a new home you would be looking at a Villa or Cottage home or a smaller designer with a less than desirable lot which have smaller footprints and lower bonds. The newer homes have better insulation and stronger windows along with up to date features, etc. Nothing wrong with a used home but walking into a new one with nothing to do but a little decorating and some minor landscaping makes it very easy and don't forget everything is under warranty. This is strictly one man's opinion.
I’ve read so many posts here and on other FB groups about people in new homes looking for recommendations for home inspectors before their warranty is up- many with failed Seals in their brand new windows, and other signs of poor, rushed construction
Old 05-21-2024, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I realize that, but that is our budget. I know we could never purchase a designer home. Thank you
For $350k you could get a bougainvillea model with upgrades (in Dabney) and just about pay off the bond. By the time you're ready to purchase, you will probably find a similar deal in Moultrie Creek.

We just went through this ourselves and decided to buy new after two older home deals fell through due to insurance reasons. It's horrific that the insurance industry is controlling the housing market. It's terrible for the buyer and the seller. Hopefully things change soon because houses are not disposable. Good luck in your decision.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
For 350,000, if you can find one you will only get a much smaller home. Designer homes go for considerably more.
It wasn't their question...
Old 05-21-2024, 06:41 AM
Default Golf

Quote:
My wife and I have noticed that many of the homes we are looking at under MLS or VLS from up north in TV … Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you
Golf is arguably better in the neighborhoods north of 44. With the Fenny area being an exception. Eastport and south will probably be OK for golf too.

There are many awesome looking neighborhoods in the middle - look around Moyer loop and north of Palmer.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:45 AM

Good morning Heart of the Country.

1st of all congratulations on the decision to move to this paradise. I think if you live north or south, east of turnpike or west of the turnpike, you will be happy.

Keeping to your budget is critical. Next, I assume you want to be in Sumter County for tax purposes. In that case, look for homes south of Newell and the Franklin Revreational Center on the east side of the turnpike. There is a Sumter County/Lake County line right by the dog park. Not sure if you can find anything like a builder spec home anymore but that would be ideal financially and really a great location.

If not, head towards Moultrie Creek and see what is available. Everything will be on the Villages website. Then drive around and see what you like.

Few of my friends bought builder specs for 350k or less. Beautiful homes.

Financially, a but of a bigger bond also gets you a new home, 1 year warranty and less maintenance then a pre-enjoyed home. I think Wastport is going to be amazing so being closer South will be a huge attraction next summer.

Regardless, you have choice and hopefully you have time. If you want to talk more, send me a private message.

Good luck and a congrats to your future purchase.

Thanks. Have a great day
Serge
Old 05-21-2024, 07:00 AM

You have certainly looked at all the areas carefully …so much smarter than many newcomers who write on TOTV.
It sounds like price is your #1. After that, I would look at location, location, location.
The section between 466 and 466a has many more amenities. I live near Bailey Trail between Buena Vista and St. Charles. We have 5 pools in this section. Lake Miona Regional Center is at one end of Bailey Trail and Seabreeze the other. I can be at 15 different golf course in 15 minutes. Sumter Landing? 10 minutes on my golf cart.
Homes in this section were very well constructed. My cabinets are solid wood construction. Many homes have updated roofs, HVAC, appliances. As you can see, Location was my #2 consideration.
But for some buyers other things are a priority. They will like their location for their own reasons.
You know your #1….now you have to decide your #2 and #3. By then you’ll have a decision. Welcome Home!
Old 05-21-2024, 07:16 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,455 Times in 1,485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seecapecod View Post
I’ve read so many posts here and on other FB groups about people in new homes looking for recommendations for home inspectors before their warranty is up- many with failed Seals in their brand new windows, and other signs of poor, rushed construction
Point #1 why did they wait until the warranty was up to get an inspector? #2 failed window seals has nothing to do with poor or rushed constructions, they are factory made packets, not made by TV contractors and they are guaranteed for 10 years. I personally know a lot of people that bought new and can't say that I know one that was not happy with their new home. You most likely never purchased a new home in TV and are relying solely on hearsay.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Be sure you comprehend the bond is not a personal debt.

It is a debt again the property and caries with the property when you sell.

A bond does not count against your credit.

In most cases, people who pay off their bond do not recover their pay off.

The true cost of a bond is the bond interest minus what you can earn on your investments. If you have a 4% bond but earn 4% on a CD carrying the bond costs you nothing.
It costs you the 4% interest you no longer get
Old 05-21-2024, 07:22 AM

We helped a friend with a fixed and limited budget make a purchase decision recently. I had to remind him to consider the cost of necessary major repairs as part of the actual purchase price for older homes - roof, HVAC, etc. something he hasnt thought of in that way. So all of a sudden a house that was a $15,000 more but had a brand new roof and 2 year old hvac and water heater was very competitive wjrj a house that would need all that shortly. For him, new wasn’t an option as he wanted to be “between the 6s” but that realization helped narrow the search a lot. We bought a 2006 home in 2021 and replaced the roof immediately (required for insurance) and hot water heater (original) then did new hvac when we moved full time last March. But we had factored all that expense in and still got a great deal price wise because a lot of people didn’t want to do the big upgrades. Our bond is $600 a year so we aren’t worried about that. I think it is very wise you are holding firm to your price range, and fabulous you are looking everywhere. But it might be a case of too much choice making the decisions harder!!! Good luck!
Old 05-21-2024, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Up here in the “trailer park section “ as you call it, there are very few “trailers”. We have manufactured homes, site built homes, and yes even some designer homes. Almost all bonds are paid off. We even have insurance on our homes. We have shopping of all sorts, medical facilities, doctor’s offices, and a soon to be new replacement regional recreation center with family pool. Not to mention the nicest Country Club pool in all the of The Villages. So the “trailer park section” may not be as bad as you thought. Oh by the way we like to call our little bit of paradise “The Historic Side”. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Tags
roof, bond, homes, heater, water

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.