One car garage?

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2023, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
If you look hard enough, there are cyv properties with a full 2 car garage. They are located on corner lots or at dead end street. Good luck.
Yes these are ideal as the lots are a little larger also so there is good room for the dogs to run around. The pavement is way too hot in the summer to walk the dogs on except very early and very late.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
Hello - My wife & I will be heading down for a Lifestyle visit in less than 2 weeks. Looking forward to checking out some houses - mostly CYV since we want a fence for the dog.

We've seen a few that look great but have only a one car garage. Even with only one car, is a one car garage enough? Can you fit a golf cart in there? I figure storage would be minimal.

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks
The fact that you’re even asking about this leads me to believe that you are concerned about it .

Do yourself a favor and get AT LEAST a 2 car garage. You won’t regret it .

We sold our first home and bought our second home primarily for the additional golf cart garage.

Good luck !
Old 05-26-2023, 06:55 AM

[QUOTE=CharlieK;2220950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
In the olden days, only courtyard villas had walls around them. Now that designer homes have gotten so expensive, they have a much greater variety of smaller homes, many with fences or walls to keep your dog from getting out.

Look at thevillages(dot)com to see info on the many new models.[/QUOTE

We have been. And I've been dismissing the houses with one car garages. But I've seen a few that were perfect for us - location, etc - except for the garage. Just wondering if it's something we could adapt to or would it get too annoying after a while and prompt us to move to a different house (something we're trying to avoid)
I wanted a courtyard villa for the walls and privacy in the lanai. My husband wasn’t sure the 1 1/2 car garage would be big enough. But it is. We park a Buick Lacrosse in the left (inner side of the curb on our driveway) which is by the windows. The golf cart goes on the right pulled in past the door to the house. Our laundry is in the garage between the door to the house and the garage door. We have storage all along the front wall of the garage and over the laundry. My husband does lots of gardening and maintains our irrigation system; so we have a fair amount of stuff to store. And having owned for two years, and continuing to look around as we drive around; we would NOT swap our walls (and the added privacy) for a larger garage. That said, if we wanted to nearly double the cost of our CYV and move south (we are one mile from Lake Sumter Landing), the Veranda homes are really appealing. But we also love our location. And with the right built in storage, my husband admits the garage is just fine and even has space to spare.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:57 AM

One criteria in our search was a 2 car garage and we are so glad we did. It is great for extra storage. We have cabinets and shelves and lots of room. You WILL accumulate a few larger items. We are not collectors. We moved from CT with only what fit in our car and on top. There were plenty of pre-owned homes to choose from.

Last edited by Pgcacace; 05-26-2023 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Incorrect grammar
Old 05-26-2023, 07:16 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,088 Times in 546 Posts

There are houses with two car garages that have fenced yards for dogs. Personally I would not buy a house where the dog can't go outside without a leash.I've read that the Veranda Designer Homes being built south of 44 have large fenced in yards which are great for dogs. Also, I have a friend in Pine Ridge with a 2 car garage and fenced yard.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:29 AM

I came from the north east where we had both a basement and an attic, plus a garage for car and storage. I purged a large amount of stuff before I moved down here. Without a basement and a minimal attic here, the garage is your storage space. You will need more storage than you think you do. I recommend that you carefully assess how much space you will need for storage.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:37 AM

Get a two car plus a golf cart . You will need it
Old 05-26-2023, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

Most CYV owners just leave the car in the driveway.
Also I hope your dog is not a barker, that's the biggest caveat with CYV is a neighbor who leaves their dog out all day barking.
The privacy of the walls are nice
I don't know how folks in Patio Villas deal with being so close to their neighbor.
Good luck.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Find a real estate agent both villages and mls to take you around and show you what is available.
Need a realtor to show if a single garage can fit a cart?

Drive by, looking at garage door... an least 6 "pane" across door will take a med (Honda CRV) to small sized car with a golf cart positioned at a diagnal next to a sink (in a villa). A four paned garage door, will not fit a cart.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:43 AM

Some patio villas in Marsh Bend have fences and two-car garages. Many to choose from. Verandas also have fences.
We have a two-car garage and it fits our car, golf cart, shelves and a bike. I don't think we'd be very happy with less space.
Best of luck, and enjoy your visit.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:51 AM

esp than a 2 car garage. If you dont need the extra space for a car you will for a golf cart and storage. Also downsize as much as you can storage is a premium.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
Before we bought our home, we rented for several years. We had 2 Patio Villas and 2 Courtyard Villas. And although we really liked those houses, the one thing that I didn't care for was the garage in all of them. While I could fit a golf cart and my SUV in the Patio Villa, but it was really tight. But when we rented the 2 Courtyard Villas, I had to leave the car in the driveway because when I tried to pull the SUV around the partially curved driveway, the swinging room of the front fender never would clear the golf cart parked by the door. So, with those experiences, when it came time for me to look for a house that we would purchase one of the "must have" criteria was a 2 car garage. Now, I want to say that my experience must not be shared with everybody because there are a heck of a lot people in The Villages who are living in and enjoying their Patio and Courtyard Villas. So there are a LOT of people who have found a way to use the 1 car garage for both a car and a cart. But, for me, a 2 garage in either a designer or ranch was the only way to go.
I am not sure where you are looking but all of the new construction below 44 there are no more curved driveways and most Courtyard Villas come with 2 car garages.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
Hello - My wife & I will be heading down for a Lifestyle visit in less than 2 weeks. Looking forward to checking out some houses - mostly CYV since we want a fence for the dog.

We've seen a few that look great but have only a one car garage. Even with only one car, is a one car garage enough? Can you fit a golf cart in there? I figure storage would be minimal.

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks
Having a dog is great but what size is the dog? If it is a very small breed you will not want to leave it alone in a fenced yard. A lot of these homes are built around wooded areas or ponds. Alligators can climb fences so that is your #1 thought. We have seen coyotes, and Bob Cats who would not hesitate to jump a fence. If it is a very small dog you would then have to worry about Eagles and Hawks swooping in to take it away. Agree having a fenced yard is good for exercise but what I am telling you is real too. It is best to take your pups to a dog park or on a leash for a good walk (again not close to a pond) Alligators move at lightning speed in short spurts and have gotten dogs unfortunately. Also bring a car or rent one. The Villages lifestyle tells you not necessary because they want to isolate you in the new areas where truthfully there is so much more to do and see North of 44. Take the bus tour at all three squares to really see what the Villages has to offer before drinking the kool aid. I would not buy anything unless it had a 2 car garage. Now I want a three car garage. Space gets filled up quickly.
Have fun.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:10 AM

We just purchased a new Hillsdale model Varanda in Newell. We wanted an enclosed yard, both for our dog and future pool privacy, and I wanted the larger 2 1/2 car garage. The Hillsdale model seemed to be the best of everything for us. It's also 3 bed and 3 full baths. I know the Verandas cost a little more than the villas, but we went this route to hopefully make this our last house.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,895 Times in 804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Most CYV owners just leave the car in the driveway.
Also I hope your dog is not a barker, that's the biggest caveat with CYV is a neighbor who leaves their dog out all day barking.
The privacy of the walls are nice
I don't know how folks in Patio Villas deal with being so close to their neighbor.
Good luck.
It may vary with the neighborhood. In the Courtyard Villa neighborhood where I live, maybe one car in ten is not parked inside the garage. However, even in the same block, there are several different shapes of garages. Mine allows a cart to pull in at an angle, rather than straight in. Many others don’t.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, garage, great, fit, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.