Opening the gates with car window closed

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 11-20-2019, 08:08 AM
coffeebean coffeebean is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Village of Mallory Square
Posts: 3,042
Thanks: 179
Thanked 1,388 Times in 599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I just open the window. For those complaining about getting wet when it's raining, how do you get in and out of your car when it's raining? And - it's rain. What's the big deal?
First, I would like to thank all of you who have responded about my concern. Glad to hear there should be no problem opening the gates with the window closed.

My car door has electrical equipment such as power windows and door locks. The less these devices are exposed to rain water, the better off they are......I truly believe. There have been times when I hold off getting out of the car and wait for the deluge of rain to subside. I can't do that with cars behind me waiting to get through the gates. The rain can be intense here in the summer.
__________________
coffeebean
  #32  
Old 11-20-2019, 08:10 AM
Kerry Azz's Avatar
Kerry Azz Kerry Azz is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: DeLaVista south
Posts: 274
Thanks: 27
Thanked 116 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post






Jus duct tape it to your door 38 inches off the ground.






.
That’s a great idea! Why not gorilla glue it.
  #33  
Old 11-20-2019, 08:12 AM
coffeebean coffeebean is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Village of Mallory Square
Posts: 3,042
Thanks: 179
Thanked 1,388 Times in 599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
Many of the gates sensors are at different heights. I drive a van which works fine at my gate but many other gates are too low so I have to open the window to reach down. Depends on which gate you go in and what your window height is. One size does not fit all!
Well, that makes a lot of sense. The gate at Morse Blvd and 441 is one of those gates that I open the car window. Seems I can't get close enough and it is always busy and I don't want to hold up traffic to even try opening the gate with the window closed.
__________________
coffeebean
  #34  
Old 11-20-2019, 08:30 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 140 Times in 54 Posts
Default

When it's raining I go to the MANNED gate. He or she opens it for me .
  #35  
Old 11-20-2019, 09:03 AM
Robbie0723 Robbie0723 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 588
Thanks: 425
Thanked 255 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
When it's raining I go to the MANNED gate. He or she opens it for me .
Most gates don't have that option.

So even more justification to make entry gates work the same as exit gates eliminating costs of the cards, readers and manned gates.

Phase it in starting with the new areas.
  #36  
Old 11-20-2019, 09:16 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,167
Thanks: 2,863
Thanked 2,425 Times in 887 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Most gates don't have that option.

So even more justification to make entry gates work the same as exit gates eliminating costs of the cards, readers and manned gates.

Phase it in starting with the new areas.
No.

Not a good idea. I was new once here, too.

Robbie. I just read back on your posts. What a nice person you are and smart too. I am so glad you joined us here in The Villages.

The reason for the pause at the gates is for the safety of the golf cart drivers. You would have figured that out and I was impatient with my answer above.

Again I say....proud to call YOU a villager!!
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-20-2019 at 09:25 AM.
  #37  
Old 11-20-2019, 09:24 AM
Robbie0723 Robbie0723 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 588
Thanks: 425
Thanked 255 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
No.

Not a good idea. I was new once here, too.
OK, nevermind.

Last edited by Robbie0723; 11-20-2019 at 09:29 AM.
  #38  
Old 11-20-2019, 11:51 AM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,363
Thanks: 2,242
Thanked 2,697 Times in 827 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
First, I would like to thank all of you who have responded about my concern. Glad to hear there should be no problem opening the gates with the window closed.

My car door has electrical equipment such as power windows and door locks. The less these devices are exposed to rain water, the better off they are......I truly believe. There have been times when I hold off getting out of the car and wait for the deluge of rain to subside. I can't do that with cars behind me waiting to get through the gates. The rain can be intense here in the summer.
My car has all that too. Most cars come with power windows, power door locks, power side-mirror controls, etc. etc. I haven't ever heard of anyone with any power-powered vehicle bringing their vehicle in for trouble and be given the diagnosis "broken on account of rain." Ever.

I really don't think it's an issue. The worst thing that will happen, is it will get around 2 teaspoons of water dumped on the equipment, and the water will fall because of gravity down and out of the car through the holes in the bottom of the door that exist precisely for that purpose.
  #39  
Old 11-20-2019, 12:03 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,167
Thanks: 2,863
Thanked 2,425 Times in 887 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
My car has all that too. Most cars come with power windows, power door locks, power side-mirror controls, etc. etc. I haven't ever heard of anyone with any power-powered vehicle bringing their vehicle in for trouble and be given the diagnosis "broken on account of rain." Ever.

I really don't think it's an issue. The worst thing that will happen, is it will get around 2 teaspoons of water dumped on the equipment, and the water will fall because of gravity down and out of the car through the holes in the bottom of the door that exist precisely for that purpose.
I have to agree. About a month ago, I waited in the car with the windows rolled down while my husband went into Lowes for a "few minutes". He took the only key fob and it began to rain and both sides got drenched before he returned. I mean DRENCHED. We have a late model Pacifica that does everything but do the dishes. No harm came to it.

DRENCHED. Steering wheel, front panel...A big old rain, blowing rain.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #40  
Old 11-20-2019, 12:04 PM
angiesteck@optonline.net angiesteck@optonline.net is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Does anyone know where to get a new gate card...lost mine
  #41  
Old 11-20-2019, 12:16 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,677
Thanks: 284
Thanked 2,543 Times in 945 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiesteck@optonline.net View Post
Does anyone know where to get a new gate card...lost mine
District Admin Office, 984 Old Mill Run, 352-751-3939. It is on the second floor across the street from Panera Bread and next to Starbucks near the LSL square. I think you need to bring all of your cards because they are paired with the same code, and they need to deactivate the lost card. They charge about 15 dollars per card.
  #42  
Old 11-20-2019, 01:27 PM
CWGUY's Avatar
CWGUY CWGUY is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,249
Thanks: 2,228
Thanked 807 Times in 402 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
District Admin Office, 984 Old Mill Run, 352-751-3939. It is on the second floor across the street from Panera Bread and next to Starbucks near the LSL square. I think you need to bring all of your cards because they are paired with the same code, and they need to deactivate the lost card. They charge about 15 dollars per card.
Yep! If you still have one bring it with you. In the breeze way next Starbucks go thru the double doors and take the elevator to second floor. As you get off there is an info. desk.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Trying To Understand Some People Is Like Trying To Smell The Color 9

Everytime you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: NOT MY CIRCUS - NOT MY MONKEYS
  #43  
Old 11-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Robbie0723 Robbie0723 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 588
Thanks: 425
Thanked 255 Times in 134 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
No.

Not a good idea. I was new once here, too.

Robbie. I just read back on your posts. What a nice person you are and smart too. I am so glad you joined us here in The Villages.

The reason for the pause at the gates is for the safety of the golf cart drivers. You would have figured that out and I was impatient with my answer above.

Again I say....proud to call YOU a villager!!
Thanks, understood and it is clear the gates are one of the "charms" of The Villages not to be challenged.

Plus, I found a solution that works for me ;-)
  #44  
Old 11-20-2019, 06:17 PM
bob47 bob47 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santiago
Posts: 247
Thanks: 105
Thanked 69 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
Many of the gates sensors are at different heights. I drive a van which works fine at my gate but many other gates are too low so I have to open the window to reach down. Depends on which gate you go in and what your window height is. One size does not fit all!
Absolutely true. The center of the sensor at our entrance gate is 54 inches above the road. Other nearby readers are 51", 47", and 46" above the road. It's not clear how taping the gate card to the door 37" above the ground as suggested elsewhere in this thread would work on all gates.

The other dimension that varies is setback from the curb. Of the four readers mentioned here, the front surface of some looks to be set back from the curb only about an inch, if at all, while some are set back up to about 8 inches. It would seem to have made more sense if they had all been installed "X" inches above the road, +/- a very little bit, and set back from the curb "Y" inches, +/- a very little bit.

As to the entrance gates opening automatically, I can't imagine how it would be any more dangerous for golf carts passing behind the gate if every vehicle stopped in front of the gate for a short time delay, 2 or 3 seconds, before the gate went up automatically. There are already times when the gates are left open intentionally. Before a hurricane in case of a power outage. The visitor gate when the attendant is using the restroom. And unintentionally when they get knocked off.
  #45  
Old 11-20-2019, 06:32 PM
mills3186 mills3186 is offline
Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Fenney
Posts: 40
Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Depends entirely on the card reader, some are more sensitive and will work with window up, some won't. We routinely drive from Fenney through DeSoto, McClure or Marsh Bend, one works, another doesn't.
__________________
~Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be~
attributed to Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, card, window, closed, sedan

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.