Opinon On Golf Carts - Poll

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Veteran member
Default Opinon On Golf Carts - Poll

We are thinking about buy a golf cart and need some opinions of seasoned ('er experience users). Electric or gas power? Make? Doo-dads? Give us feedback folks....make this board come alive.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 03-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Sage
Default Re: Opinon On Golf Carts - Poll

We rented a house last summer that had a gas Yamaha.... seemed noisy, smelly, and not so peppy. Plus side, a tank of gas goes a long way and should we ever have an extended power failure (e.g. post hurricane) you can still get around.

Electric...much quieter, no smell, peppier, and less to go wrong (no engine to maintain); biggest minus is possible lack of range -- 30 miles or so per charge; cost to charge/re-charge seems to be negligible - no noticeable difference in electric bill.

We have an 03 remanufactured Club Car from Golf Cart Connection and are very happy with the Cart and the company...they do a nice job rebuilding the car and spiffing it up. Doo-dads -- all the safety equipment - lights, horn, turn signals (with beepers), mirrors; Dashboard with locking "glovebox" and custom ignition key were very important.

You can spend as little as 2,500 buying used directly from an owner to over 8,000 for a new, loaded cart with standard body to 20,000 for a customized cart that looks like a hummer, jalopy, etc.

No better way to get around the Villages.....
Old 03-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Founder

When I first moved to the Villages, I bought a new Yamaha Gas golf cart. It was fine, but, I got tired of going to the gas station and I didn't want to keep a large gas can in the Garage.
So, after about 8 months, I sold it to a neighbor (who still uses it) and purchased a Columbia Par Car, electric golf cart. I love it! It's got an onboard charger, so I can plug it in anywhere I am. I have not had to do so, however, because I get well in excess of 50 miles on a full charge. Columbia has been great on service as well. Every six months during the warranty period they come to the house and tune it up.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:37 AM

As a potential Villager, I would only consider an electric cart with a bicycle backup. Would love to have a Segway but security is always an issue.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
When I first moved to the Villages, I bought a new Yamaha Gas golf cart. It was fine, but, I got tired of going to the gas station and I didn't want to keep a large gas can in the Garage.
So, after about 8 months, I sold it to a neighbor (who still uses it) and purchased a Columbia Par Car, electric golf cart. I love it! It's got an onboard charger, so I can plug it in anywhere I am. I have not had to do so, however, because I get well in excess of 50 miles on a full charge. Columbia has been great on service as well. Every six months during the warranty period they come to the house and tune it up.
Glad to hear you like Columbia Par Car service. Maybe they hired a new service manager. I purchased a Par Car 5 years ago and their free monthly service appeared to be ok for the first year. When I started doing my own I got to see what they really did. I took the batteries out and the hold down bolts were rusted through because they never cleaned anything that you couldn't see. I also noticed that a nut came off the Steering A- arm and I had it replaced under warranty. They assured me that they would check the other side and also use the new improved nuts. Needless to say a couple months later when I decided to install a speedometer I found that they had doubled nutted one side and it was loose again and the other side was loose and had not been touched. When I called them on it the Service Mangler denied that they had ever worked on it, basically called me a liar and when I tried to tell him I had the bill he told me to shut-up. I hung up, cooled down and decided never to do business with them again rather than take a ball bat with me and see this jerk face to face.

I contacted Columbia Par Car headquarters and had the front end rebuilt under warranty by a dealer out of the area. It's a great cart if maintained properly and when ready, will buy another one, but not from the Leesburg group.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Founder

Sparky,

I enjoyed reading your post. Isn't if interesting how each of us can have a completely different experience with the same company? I know how frustrating it is to be stonewalled by a service department. I was ready to spit nails with my treatment at Sullivan Cadillac in Ocala. I was so angry that I could hardly talk. Cadillac customer service got involved and tried to straighten it out, but it only got more confusing and worse. So, I bailed out of the lease (at my expense) and got another car, a Chevy Tahoe from Palm Chevrolet.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 AM

All Villagers should feel free to buy and operate electric carts in the Villages BECAUSE people like me who own gas carts are happy to tow you and your cart to your home from time to time.

I keep a quality tow rope in my cart to help out in this activity. I recommend (strongly suggest) that all "electric" users purchase a towing system in case I am not around.

Good luck getting to Havana this summer.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by director
All Villagers should feel free to buy and operate electric carts in the Villages BECAUSE people like me who own gas carts are happy to tow you and your cart to your home from time to time.

I keep a quality tow rope in my cart to help out in this activity. I recommend (strongly suggest) that all "electric" users purchase a towing system in case I am not around.

Typical POA attitude
Old 04-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Veteran member

What do you mean by POA?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Platinum member

Do electric golf carts have a neutral gear which allows them to be towed, or are they all in free-wheel when the brake is off?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Founder

I have towed my friends cart when it had a bad battery. It seemed to "free wheel."
Old 04-04-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by director

Is Havana any different in the summer than the winter??? :dontknow: I've played Havana a few times then drove my cart to Spanish Springs and on to Beef O'Brady's near Mulberry for dinner. I have a speedometer on my electric cart but never checked the miles but I didn't have a problem. I do carry a tow strap and a gas syphon tube but I've had to help more gas carts than electrics. The electrics give you a warning by going a little slower but the gas ones just up and die. They stink also but there is one advantage. If you are walking you can HEAR them coming before they run you down. ;D

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.