Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 AM
Rokinronda Rokinronda is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,719
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

Chuck, I get there when they open! Its a 2 minute walk, 1 minute golf cart ride! OK, I will delete the post very very soon, promise!! I like the chat pack here right now and would enjoy meeting some at the pool! With the priority fee, all CC pools are included.
  #32  
Old 07-25-2008, 04:49 AM
Sidney Lanier Sidney Lanier is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

We visited Stonecrest for their annual community-wide yard sale this past spring. A little more space between houses, but the houses seemed a little on the shabby side and there didn't seem to be a sense of community as we chatted with residents who were selling. The place seemed like what we in the Northeast (and possibly in other parts of the country) call a 'development' or a 'subdivision,' not a 'community.'

As far as TV is concerned, we know why we're here or want to be here. There's just no comparison, but to a great extent I'm preaching to the choir!

'-)
  #33  
Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 AM
chuckinca's Avatar
chuckinca chuckinca is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

I would imagine it wasn't too many years ago when the people in Spruce Creek South, in their site built homes, were lookin down their noses at all the manufactured houses in TV when TV was only East of 441.

What goes around comes around

__________________
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
  #34  
Old 07-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Frangyomory's Avatar
Frangyomory Frangyomory is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tall Trees/Cherry Vale CYV
Posts: 546
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

Villages is really a close knit community. People here really watch out for each other. We have hundreds of clubs with annual fees of about $10 or less. Each Thursday you will read about a hundred or more of these clubs in the Recreation Newsletter published with the Daily Sun. There are neighborhood pools close by to almost all the homes. The recreation centers have shuffleboard, boccie, pickle ball (sp), and all other kinds of games going on all year long.

Yes, golf is the big thing and if you don't play, you never know, you just might make friends with some who do and find yourself playing a day a week at some point.

Entertainment free every night at the town center; great shopping and restaurant; getting around almost everywhere in golf carts and saving on gas.

I can't even get nearly half of the wonder of living here. I don't think if everyone posted just their favorite things we would hit everything that is great about the Villages. We have been here three years and while I do get irked from time to time I have NEVER regretted moving here.

I found a great church; an excellent doctor and wonderful friends. Can't ask for more.
__________________
Fran Gyomory
The Bronx, NY; Kailua, HI; Dale City, VA; Fredericksburg, VA; The Villages, FL
  #35  
Old 07-28-2008, 05:44 AM
Bryant Bryant is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

uujudy: To the best of my knowledge, all the country club pools serve lunch; don't know about dinner. Once you are a priority member, you can go to all of them and your guests as well. When the guest pass is scanned, it shows they are a guest of a priority member. I joined priority pool just so I can take my guests to the Orange Blossom Pool. It is the most beautiful in the Villages and the water appears to be a little cooler than the other pools. It is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The bathrooms and locker rooms are in desperate need of updating.
__________________
The Villages (Polo Ridge; Piedmont), Toms River, Brick, Spring Lake Heights, NJ and Bronx, NY
  #36  
Old 07-28-2008, 05:50 AM
chuckinca's Avatar
chuckinca chuckinca is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant
uujudy: To the best of my knowledge, all the country club pools serve lunch; don't know about dinner. Once you are a priority member, you can go to all of them and your guests as well. When the guest pass is scanned, it shows they are a guest of a priority member. I joined priority pool just so I can take my guests to the Orange Blossom Pool. It is the most beautiful in the Villages and the water appears to be a little cooler than the other pools. It is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The bathrooms and locker rooms are in desperate need of updating.

Why can't the Developer build a pool complex better than Orange Blossom that was built maybe 20 years ago?
__________________
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
  #37  
Old 07-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Muncle's Avatar
Muncle Muncle is offline
Eternal Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Until noon, probably in bed.
Posts: 1,675
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frangyomory
Villages is really a close knit community. People here really watch out for each other. We have hundreds of clubs with annual fees of about $10 or less. Each Thursday you will read about a hundred or more of these clubs in the Recreation Newsletter published with the Daily Sun. There are neighborhood pools close by to almost all the homes. The recreation centers have shuffleboard, boccie, pickle ball (sp), and all other kinds of games going on all year long.

Yes, golf is the big thing and if you don't play, you never know, you just might make friends with some who do and find yourself playing a day a week at some point.

Entertainment free every night at the town center; great shopping and restaurant; getting around almost everywhere in golf carts and saving on gas.

I can't even get nearly half of the wonder of living here. I don't think if everyone posted just their favorite things we would hit everything that is great about the Villages. We have been here three years and while I do get irked from time to time I have NEVER regretted moving here.

I found a great church; an excellent doctor and wonderful friends. Can't ask for more.
Fran calls it perfectly. After my 3 years here, I still find myself almost in awe that I stumbled into this wonderful place. Yeah, like Fran said, we all get irked about the little stuff on occasion, but it pales by comparison to what we have. Walk along the boardwalk at LSL around sunset and when you look at the forethought and detail of what we've stepped into, you cannot help but be amazed. Drive the length of Buena Vista and look at the landscaping. Look around and remember that this was not forest, it was pasture land, and look at the giant moss covered trees that were saved. Look at the acres and acres of wetlands and other green in a "housing development" of 70,000 people, areas that support our friendly gators, the gorgeous and quirky sandhill cranes, and plethora of other birds that seem so alien to a midwestern/DC boy like me.

I sure am lucky that back in 2003, someone mentioned to me a strange "retirement" place called The Villages and I followed up on my investigation. Oh, and did I mention that the vast, vast majority of the people I've met here have been just superb, and I've been lucky enough to make some of the best friends I've had in my life.
__________________
Kansas City, MO; Alamo & Albuquerque NM; Quad Cities; St Louis; DC ~ NOVA; Nuernberg; Heidelberg; DC ~ NOVA; Liberty Park ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends upon what you put into it.
~~~~~~
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
  #38  
Old 07-28-2008, 07:25 AM
uujudy's Avatar
uujudy uujudy is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,605
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant
uujudy: To the best of my knowledge, all the country club pools serve lunch; don't know about dinner. Once you are a priority member, you can go to all of them and your guests as well. When the guest pass is scanned, it shows they are a guest of a priority member. I joined priority pool just so I can take my guests to the Orange Blossom Pool. It is the most beautiful in the Villages and the water appears to be a little cooler than the other pools. It is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The bathrooms and locker rooms are in desperate need of updating.
Bryant, thanks for answering my many questions. Once I become a priority member I could schedule lunch at a different country club pool each day! Now I need to find a house for us that has very wide halls -- because with all that poolside eating, I'll be getting wider every day!
__________________
Toledo, Maumee, Lima, Columbus & Sandusky, Ohio
New Castle, Newark & Delaware City, Delaware
Lewisville, Pennsylvania
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
  #39  
Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Lil Dancer Lil Dancer is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 459
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

As others have mentioned, the clubs and socializing opportunties are much greater in TV than in Spruce Creek for example. I take art classes at TV Learning College, and its just a 5 minute drive in my golf cart. They do allow outsiders to fill in on the classes after residents have a chance to register, and I remember there was a lady from Spruce creek in one of the classes - she had to pay more money and of course it was probably a half hour drive in her car to get to each class. So there is the convenience factor as well.

Also to consider is facility maintenance. The Villages has very new facilities - the rec rooms and pools are beautiful and seem to be maintained very well. I don't think the facilities at the other communities compare.

But if you don't think you'll use those facilities or join clubs for example, no use paying for that priviledge. The homes are cheaper with nicer lots at the other developments.
  #40  
Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Best Mom Best Mom is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 362
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

We looked at homes in "Top of the World " yesterday. It is like comparing apples and oranges. It is much smaller and quieter. The homes are site built and large with a great deal of space. Tons of trees and plants native to the area. They only use energy efficient appliances. They also have only native plants that conserve water. The indoor/outdoor pools were hugh and very well kept. The exercise equipment is new and all this is included with your amenity fee.

Everyone we talked to that lives there now were past Villagers. The theme seemed to be it- was less crowded and no traffic or problem getting to use any facilities. Woodworking club was very active and cheap to join. It has a large Fine Arts building with professional broadway troops coming in. "Annie" was coming. They have classes taught in an education building.

Every window you looked out had trees and squirrels, rabbits, etc.
Beautiful views for everybody. No houses back to back. Beautiful well kept public facilities. They say you can go everywhere on a golf cart except for one small area. You use the real city of Ocala for most your shopping etc.

Now before I get bashed and beat up again...this is NOT SAYING ANYTHING BAD about The Villages. It all depends on what a person likes. They are just very different. One is small and quiet. One is big and has alot activity and people. So I won't get bashed for not responding...I am going to be gone all day. Let's just say I hope I won't get bashed.
  #41  
Old 07-28-2008, 12:29 PM
jadebox jadebox is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 477
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

To survive the new communities outside TV need to be better and better to even come near competing with TV. I have seen this as the years go by. Top of the World and Arlington Ridge are two of these. Ask the people who live in most of the places outside where they take out of town visitors and they still will say The Villages.
  #42  
Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Indy-Guy Indy-Guy is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 957
Thanks: 0
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

One comment has been made that I often hear. That is that other communities near The Villages have many people living there that have moved from The Villages. I don't doubt that this happens I just wonder if it happens with the frequency that I hear. If you visit another community they always say that people are moving into their community from The Villages.

I have owned in The Villages for 3 years and have lived here full time for going on two years. I don't know anyone who has sold their place in The Villages and moved to a community near The Villages and I don't know anyone who knows someone who has moved from The Villages to a community near The Villages.

Perhaps I have lived a sheltered life. I am asking are there people out their who know someone who has moved from The Villages to a community near The Villages? Are there people out there who have moved from The Villages to a community near The Villages.

__________________
Anderson Indiana---Indianapolis Indiana--- Village of Poinciana Full Time
  #43  
Old 07-28-2008, 01:00 PM
jadebox jadebox is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 477
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Guy
One comment has been made that I often hear. That is that other communities near The Villages have many people living there that have moved from The Villages. I don't doubt that this happens I just wonder if it happens with the frequency that I hear. If you visit another community they always say that people are moving into their community from The Villages.

I have owned in The Villages for 3 years and have lived here full time for going on two years. I don't know anyone who has sold their place in The Villages and moved to a community near The Villages and I don't know anyone who knows someone who has moved from The Villages to a community near The Villages.

Perhaps I have lived a sheltered life. I am asking are there people out their who know someone who has moved from The Villages to a community near The Villages? Are there people out there who have moved from The Villages to a community near The Villages.

We have been here 7+ years and have meet many many people. No one is a stranger to me. I too have never known anyone to move from here to another community. When we were looking for a place to retire we went to Solvita and the sales person told us they were selling almost all their houses to disgrumbled Villagers. They were on the phone to me at least weekly trying to get us to buy there. The Villages only called once and that was to tell us one of the houses we told him we liked was available. I am sure some have moved but not very many. Most moving from here are going back home or dying.
  #44  
Old 07-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Best Mom Best Mom is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 362
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

You are right. I agree.
TOW is a small place compared to here. Small town vs city. Different people like different things.
We talked to three people in the indoor pool. My point is these 3 wanted a less busy, less crowded, development and all had been Villagers. They said that others were like them. :dontknow:
I say again-everybody is different and I am not knocking "the Villages".
  #45  
Old 07-28-2008, 01:34 PM
samhass's Avatar
samhass samhass is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,578
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

TOW sounds lovely. TV is not the only place in the world. It's just our choice for this time in our lives. In the future..who knows???
__________________
The Villages, Florida
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.