Outdoor Cameras as part of Security System?

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
We have a Google Nest outdoor camera, somewhat out of sight, and it took the renter about 2-3 weeks before he noticed it. . .
It's capturing the renters on the property they PRIVATELY rented, not knowing they were being filmed.
Do YOU know people sometimes sunbathe on private property, hopefully not having a camera zooming up their &*% and being viewed 100s of miles away.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
It's capturing the renters on the property they PRIVATELY rented, not knowing they were being filmed.
Do YOU know people sometimes sunbathe on private property, hopefully not having a camera zooming up their &*% and being viewed 100s of miles away.
You have quite the VIVID imagination...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-25-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
You have quite the VIVID imagination...
No. Just a good commend scene to educate those who are kind of a little gullible..
Old 02-26-2023, 08:03 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,357 Posts

Has anyone used OptiGuard Security Camera? It just screws into a light socket.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,223 Times in 576 Posts

Eufy is an easy fix with no monthly fees. Only drawback is the cameras record only when/if motion triggered.

Last edited by Bilyclub; 02-26-2023 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,934 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
yep, the camera was cleared with all concerned as acceptable, and there is no indoor camera. . . so i don't want to be too specific but if the camera caught sunbathing, so would the sand cranes, the local traffic, the golf carts, the neighbors. . . . .
Old 04-13-2023, 07:16 AM

Excellent suggestions. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2023, 12:18 PM

I use Blink cameras in my North Carolina cabin, and I love them because the battery lasts over a year (2 x AAs) and they are easy to mount anywhere. In TV I decided to go with Ring as part of a whole house security system. I have two outdoor cameras plus the ring doorbell. The outside cameras use solar panels and batteries, and so far they've worked great. I have another property in Tampa where I use Nest, but those are hardwired. Nest does have battery options, but Blink wins on that department due to the batteries lasting such a long time. I've also used Arlo, and those batteries lasted about a month. Not a fan.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:15 PM
Default Blink system

Most of the systems have been adequately covered, but I thought I'd add my two cents regarding Blink. I've had it for about six months. I'm not yet living in TV, and the area I'm in has occasional porch pirates, so my main reason for getting the system was to be alerted whenever the mail comes or a package is delivered, so I can retrieve it before it runs away. It does a decent job, but anyone looking to buy Blink should know about some shortcomings. It comes with a free thirty day trial subscription. As others have noted, you don't have to pay when the thirty days is up, and you can choose to simply store your video on a USB drive, which is the route I chose after the thirty days was up. The main drawback of the system is that Amazon has essentially crippled the most useful features of it if you don't subscribe. After letting the trial subscription lapse, I noticed that when I get a motion alert on my iphone, it now takes forever (ok, maybe 20 seconds, but it feels like forever) for the app to show you the live camera view...by that time, whatever triggered the motion is long gone. I then have to click on a button to pull up the actual saved video, and wait another twenty seconds for that to be pulled up. Eventually, I see that a package has been delivered. If you are a subscriber, you can tap on the notification and instantly see the live view. Blink even teases you during the 20 second wait by telling you that USB clips take "a little longer" . There's no real technological reason for this...it just seems like a way to get you to subscribe. Overall, I like the battery life and it suits my needs, but its drawbacks are unnecessary. Anyway, it's fine as long as you don't need/want instant access to the camera or video clip. Others may have a better experience with Blink.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:07 AM
Veteran member

We have one camera over our garage that covers most of our front yard. It's not really for security, more like to verify that people doing services for us are actually showing up. I don't really see the benefit of someone adding 6 security cameras to a home in TV. Burglaries are almost non-existent and thieves know that it's rarely worth the trouble and risk anymore. Much more lucrative to rob a business that has cash on hand.

I think it shouldn't be understated how your neighbors will feel about having 6 cameras around your house with many of them pointing on their property. Most people don't really like that.

Last edited by MrChip72; 04-14-2023 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Clarification
Closed Thread

Tags
cameras, system, outdoor, security, move

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.