Outdoor Cameras as part of Security System?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2023, 05:20 PM

Love my Blink cameras. Can see every time I get a delivery, someone stopping by or what's creeping around at night, etc.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:13 PM

So far the only benefit to outdoor cameras for us is periodically catching service people claiming they provided the service when they didn't Caught the pool guy sitting in his truck (which has gps) in front of the house for 30 minutes never leaving their truck but claiming the service work was done. Once we put camera warning stickers on the lanai the service has been superb.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Best is a layered system. Several different technologies overlapping. Using wired cameras, wireless cameras, door/window open/closed sensors, motion detection, driveway/walkway detection of people/car, glass breakage sound detection, smoke/fire/co alarm integration, water leak sensors ... Then local storage, cloud storage, email/text alerts... UPS where possible, wired internet, and for the paranoid backup 5g cell internet.
Do not disclose what you have, where it might be positioned, or brag about only spending $50 for it all. Consider generic security system sticker (instead of a specific brand) if you feel disclosing information is useful.
Position your cameras so they have overlapping coverage. Put some up high, others low. Have some totally hidden. If you have a camera DVR put it into a metal box that is bolted down.
Be aware that wireless systems can be jammed. Cameras and DVRs can be stolen too (evidence taken with them), so consider having footage stored in the camera, on DVR, and offsite in the cloud.
Make sure the system detects the right things, but does not generate false alarms.
Great advice. That’s what I did. Unfortunately the thieves wore masks, worked fast and made off with all my equipment. My two Doberman Pincher attack dogs were too busy eating the treats they left
Old 02-24-2023, 08:00 AM

You buy a security camera to watch around your home, but do not buy it and think you will be stopping someone from stealing. Might aid police or others by having a picture of the person. That helps once in a while. You can look at WYZE they have an SD card for storage, made for outside (not for pressure washers) and you can buy the cloud if you want but do not have to. About $30 and home depot has them. Or look for others that have SD card for storage so you don't pay for cloud storage.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
So to answer your question, unless you have a spare $2000 to $5000 laying around, I would not go for the outdoor cameras.
My outdoor cameras were $800 with a base station. Those prices sound like they were bought from Galaxy.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:45 AM
Gold member

Just because it's a camera that says outdoors doesn't mean it's waterproof. Make sure...
Old 02-24-2023, 09:50 AM
Gold member

Right now for just around $30.00 you can get a lightbulb camera. They just screw in on any outside socket. Easy to install and they work great. Just make sure it is waterproof.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
Hi Larry, I have Alexa.... what does the Ring system do with Alexa?
Ring works seamlessly with Alexa. I have a Alexa Show in my kitchen and if someone comes to my front door, Alexa will alert and display the doorbell camera live view so I can see who is there. I can also have the Show display live views of the my outdoor cameras. It works great and I don't have to use my Ring app on my phone all the time.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:44 PM

I have 6 cameras installed around the exterior of my home. I would never have a place without them. I use all UniFi equipment.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 02-24-2023, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,934 Times in 925 Posts

We have a Google Nest outdoor camera, somewhat out of sight, and it took the renter about 2-3 weeks before he noticed it. . . i wired the power from an outlet, and the camera is wireless and stores motion activated video in the cloud. .

Bought it at Home Depot / Lowes. . . i can't remember. . but only a couple of 100 bucks at the most. . . like $5 a month for cloud storage. . .

Have one at my moms house as well, captures great wildlife around the house, foxes, deer, bears, coyotes, skunks, o'possums. . . but missed the septic tank back hoe as it backed into the driveway and across the yard. . .
Old 02-24-2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
it took the renter about 2-3 weeks before he noticed it. . . i wired the power from an outlet, and the camera is wireless and stores motion activated video in the cloud. .
So, your renters are paying the electric bill for a camera that is spying on them..
Old 02-25-2023, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
So, your renters are paying the electric bill for a camera that is spying on them..
Hopefully it was outside the house and not inside……

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 02-25-2023, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

I NRA sign outside may be equally effective.

This is a slippery slope because I have a neighborhood that has a camera affixed to point right at my front door. It's a little creepy and intrusive as it can be used in a malicious way, especially if renters has access to video footage.

But by law you have no expectancy of privacy in public even if it's outside your front door.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:32 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteadunn View Post
So far the only benefit to outdoor cameras for us is periodically catching service people claiming they provided the service when they didn't Caught the pool guy sitting in his truck (which has gps) in front of the house for 30 minutes never leaving their truck but claiming the service work was done. Once we put camera warning stickers on the lanai the service has been superb.
I got a new roof a couple of years ago. The roofer said he wasn't responsible for any damage to the gutters, but they would be careful. My camera caught them beating the gutters off the house. Because of having him on camera they replaced my gutters.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehiker View Post
Hopefully it was outside the house and not inside……
We have a Google Nest outdoor camera, somewhat out of sight, and it took the renter about 2-3 weeks before he noticed it. . .

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
cameras, system, outdoor, security, move

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.