Paradise Cart Gate busted again

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2014, 07:56 AM

I have seen it busted at least 8 to 10 times. Until they construct a gate of steel, and not of aluminum, they will see this happen weekly. Saw it yesterday, the gate is no match for a golf cart.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

When it was first put up I thought it was sturdier than that and after these gate strikes and thinking about all those hollow plastic columns they stick on the cart paths this is the result. Someone else originally stated in a previous thread if those were concrete people certainly wouldn't hit them twice. In today's society we have to protect the stupid. I hate to sound mean but that's the way it is. Too many treating a golf cart like a toy.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,318 Times in 548 Posts

If it was a steel gate someone in a cart could be seriously hurt and maybe that is why the gate is built so "flimsy".

The cost of gates per year in TV must be a big dollar number. I do agree without some cart ID the camera will be useless. I'm sure most of the gate damages in TV are accidents---you wonder how many residents are honest and turn themselves in? A good question for the District Manager.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
If it was a steel gate someone in a cart could be seriously hurt and maybe that is why the gate is built so "flimsy".
snipped
Isn't the Harmeswood gate just like the Paradise gate? How many folks are injured by that gate? I haven't ready of any accidents there. Is that gate solid or flimsy?

Old 06-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I ain't buying the news article's claim that this damage was caused by an out bound driver because no one who lives in TV is that much in a hurry to leave.

Unless....wait for it wait for it......it was a non-resident afraid of being caught for crossing over the border illegally.

Let's secure the border and build that wall and build it high
Old 06-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
Bring back the wall!
The problem with the wall was that it was more of a hinderance to Villages wanting to get to all of the businesses on that side by golf cart than it was a deterrent for outsiders to come in. I don't have statistics, but by my observation, which I admit is not much, there are more Villagers going to Lowes, Wal-Mart, Aldi, Beales etc than there are outsiders coming this way.

When the wall was built, my wife worked at Aldi (She has since changed jobs.) and she did not have a driver's license, (She has since gotten one). That meant that I was driving her to and from work four to five days a week, sometimes at 3:00 am.
Now you may say, "too bad, she chose to work there" and that's true. But, she chose to work there with the knowledge that the gate was open and she could get back and forth to work on a golf cart.
No, the wall is not the answer. I honestly believe that while there may be a few people from the outside sneaking onto our golf courses after hours, I don't think that the problem was so widespread that it necessitated inconveniencing the thousands of Villages residents who use that gate.
No, there is nothing in writing that says that we should have access to that area by golf cart. But it was very unfair, to people who have lived over here for 5-10-20-30 years, and had been using that gate for all that time, to have it taken away.
No, a wall is not the answer
I don't know if there's a camera there or not. I never noticed. But, if there is then it should be fairly easy to track down whoever is responsible for damaging the gate and make them pay for it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,526 Times in 1,918 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Getting back to our regularly scheduled program........................
Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
Upgraded cameras are a great idea. But now The Villages or Sherriff's Office has to go one step further and develop some means of placing a unique identification on the golf carts as they do in Peach Tree City, Georgia. There, all golf carts must have a numbered decal displayed on their windshield that identifies who owns the golf cart. A registration sticker is issued, valid for 1 or 2 years to show that the registration is current.

The thought of being easily identified, may tone down some of the aggressive driving around the Villages by golf carts, and also hold those causing the destruction liable to pay for damages, especially with video evidence.
Actually, if it was damage by a Villages resident, (and there's a strong possibility that it was ) the they might be able to track the people down by looking at the video and tying it to the card that was used to open it. Unless, of course they didn't use their card at all.
But I would agree. Why not have a mandatory sticker on all Villages residents golf carts. In fact why not have a gate opening chip built right into something that is attached to the golf cart similar to a Sun Pass. That way we would haven't pull out our cards every time we come to a gate.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown View Post
As frequent user, it really isn't broken more than, say, the Del Mar gate.
It is due to trying to get through without waiting. You can even stop the gate with your card before it totally closes. Or opens.
Can we please move on?
That's an excellent point. The Medical Gate, leading into the historic district is broken again. I've seen that broken far more often than the Lowes gate.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
It doesn't matter which way it's broken in or out. Some JACKASS broke the gate yet again period. I don't use it and have no desire to use it. JMO but WE don't deserve to go out that way anymore then those who don't live here deserve to come in that way. Put the DAMN wall back up. If we need to go over to that area take our cars period. If you leave here your driving on NON TV property period all the way over to ALDI. We are no better then anyone else period. We feel we're entitled to leave and drive, we say the outsiders don't pay for the paths which they don't, do we pay for the private areas we drive on , no we don't. I know the guy who built the assisted living building said he'd keep the path open. Why do you think because he didn't want complaints about his building being built period. Gates are broken all over TV on a daily basis. Slow down, wake up and start respecting what we have, period. My rant is done !!
Easy for you to say, especially as you admit, you never use it. But people who have lived here for years having been using that gate. It's a part of their lifestyle. People have made life decisions based on the fact that they could access that area by golf cart. If a wall was up from day one it would be one thing, but to change something like this after 30 odd years will unfairly affect the lives of many people.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
Upgraded cameras are a great idea. But now The Villages or Sherriff's Office has to go one step further and develop some means of placing a unique identification on the golf carts as they do in Peach Tree City, Georgia. There, all golf carts must have a numbered decal displayed on their windshield that identifies who owns the golf cart. A registration sticker is issued, valid for 1 or 2 years to show that the registration is current.

The thought of being easily identified, may tone down some of the aggressive driving around the Villages by golf carts, and also hold those causing the destruction liable to pay for damages, especially with video evidence.

Love, love, love the idea of having some kind of BIG identification tag/whatever on all the carts using our multimodal pathways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Easy for you to say, especially as you admit, you never use it. But people who have lived here for years having been using that gate. It's a part of their lifestyle. People have made life decisions based on the fact that they could access that area by golf cart. If a wall was up from day one it would be one thing, but to change something like this after 30 odd years will unfairly affect the lives of many people.

Well, this could of course could stir up another major problem. I am not trying to be unsympathetic, but times changes and things have to change along with it. It is not just the thousands from SC, and Spruce Creek that would be using our pathways, but if they are allowed to have access, everyone from 441 to 44 at least, in every direction will want access, especially Fruitland Park because of the developement in that area. Add to that all of the new residents from the still to be built areas, and our seasonal visitors, and our multimodal pathways will be unbearable. Thay would affect far more than the number of people who live near the gate and use it. Plus who is to say that one day soon, the owners of the land on the way to Aldi's will decide not to allow people to use their property to start with.

One other thing about the gate--I don't know who or what destroyed it, but if I were doing it to be mean because I wasn't allowed access to TV, I definitely would mess up the one that would look like a Villager had done it, to put the blame on them, and not SC or Sp Cr.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Install the Wall

Unfortunately this problem will not be solved with a gate where there is such significant criminal behavior. I saw the broken gate today and it was clear the serious damage could only be done by someone who was/is a criminal as if they were caught they would face criminal charges. Given this and the fact that it would appear there is no limit as to how much damage criminals could do to a gate it makes sense to reinstall the wall. I was originally against the wall and thought a gate would solve the concern but it is totally clear that emotions run so high that the only solution is a wall. I guess you could say Morse had it right the first time. Knowing this type of antisocial behavior is this bad in the area I would not feel comfortable living near the gate and would want to stop those who perform this vandalism from having any access near my home.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2TV View Post
Love, love, love the idea of having some kind of BIG identification tag/whatever on all the carts using our multimodal pathways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, this could of course could stir up another major problem. I am not trying to be unsympathetic, but times changes and things have to change along with it. It is not just the thousands from SC, and Spruce Creek that would be using our pathways, but if they are allowed to have access, everyone from 441 to 44 at least, in every direction will want access, especially Fruitland Park because of the developement in that area. Add to that all of the new residents from the still to be built areas, and our seasonal visitors, and our multimodal pathways will be unbearable. Thay would affect far more than the number of people who live near the gate and use it. Plus who is to say that one day soon, the owners of the land on the way to Aldi's will decide not to allow people to use their property to start with.

One other thing about the gate--I don't know who or what destroyed it, but if I were doing it to be mean because I wasn't allowed access to TV, I definitely would mess up the one that would look like a Villager had done it, to put the blame on them, and not SC or Sp Cr.
Really? Do you really think that there are "thousands" of outsiders coming through that gate? Do you have evidence to support that?

I don't have any evidence, but I really don't believe that the problem is that big. Making it less convenient for Villages doesn't seem, to me, to be an answer to what I believe is a rather small problem.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Really? Do you really think that there are "thousands" of outsiders coming through that gate? Do you have evidence to support that?

I don't have any evidence, but I really don't believe that the problem is that big. Making it less convenient for Villages doesn't seem, to me, to be an answer to what I believe is a rather small problem.
Remember Barney Fife? "You've got to nip it, nip it in the bud!"

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran member

I am being silly, but maybe we need to replace the gates at Paradise and Del Mar with a Bollard

Bollard crash test - YouTube

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.