Pet screens/coyotes

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of replacing my birdcage screen and it might be smart to go with the pet safe stuff.

Not to change the subject, but we've had six or seven cats disappear in the past week in my neighborhood. One neighbor on the golf course side said she had her little dog on a leash, getting ready to take it out back and suddenly noticed a coyote staring at her. There have been coyote(s) observed on Glen View golf course around St Simons and Valdosta villas in the past couple of weeks. Most of the cats that disappeared were roaming loose, except one (some were feral but spayed and chipped). That cat was removed from a lanai after the animal tore through the screen. I find it hard to believe that a coyote could snatch that many cats in such a short time in the area of Court Yard Villas. Seems to me that the cats could go over the CYV walls where the coyote couldn't. I haven't heard any Bob Cats but someone in the neighborhood said they saw one. Sounds like a rumor so I can't verify it. I have not heard a bob cat, and I do know what they sound like from living in NC and having one in the woods around my home.

I just find it strange that six or seven cats suddenly disappear with no one seeing anything.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Most of the cats that disappeared were roaming loose, except one (some were feral but spayed and chipped).
If you google life expectancy of outdoor cats, you'll find they have a life expectancy of 1 to 5 years.
Indoor
cats have an average life span of 12 to 20 years.
We were lucky, our Himalayan lived to be 20, and I still miss her. Our dogs miss her too.
Outdoor cats are quite capable of jumping over a courtyard wall and disappearing.
If you care about your cats, please don't let them out to roam.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:04 AM
Sage

The screen material is textilene.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Veteran member

Just a thought on the pet safe screening! It's claim is that it will take about an hour or so for a pet to bite/claw through it, that's great, HOWEVER, I could be wrong, but I believe they are talking about a house pet clawing/biting trying to get out. I do not think this holds true for a wild Bobcat or Coyote, with much larger fangs/nails, trying to rip it apart in one swoop trying to get in. I don't think that would take them an hour, probably minutes at most. Don't be fooled into a false sense of security with this screening. Just a thought.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,358 Times in 2,079 Posts

The consensus seems to be that there has been a bobcat roaming around the Belmont Golf Course in Lynnhaven. At out block party last night I had heard of several sightings over the past few weeks.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, pets, windows, nice, cats, pet, cage, bird, install, screens, mind, peace, coyotes, professional, guys, emoticon, kitties, frown, cost, 352-342-7809, number, kind, friendly, owners, hashed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.