Petition Against Seat Roping

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2015, 10:54 AM

Sorry about the mistake about the time Boogie, but I just can't figure out when villagers know it's going to be crowded, people don't bring a camp style chair. Not trying to be mean, but if there was a body in every chair would that make you feel better. When I go to the square, and I know there is going to be a large crowd I bring my own chair, set it where I want and then check out the venders. That may not suit everyone either, but I'm not using a Village property chair. I did like the idea to have two well liked bands on the same night.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGirl View Post
...if there was a body in every chair would that make you feel better...
I can't speak for Boogie, but yes, it would certainly make me feel better. The bodies in the chairs would be playing by the rules and showing respect for their fellow Villagers. I could deal with that.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I am against the practice of roping off or in any other way holding a section of seats at the various town squares. I think this is rude, selfish, inconsiderate, and wrong and I want to see a policy to bring it to an end. We all pay for those seats and I believe all seats at the squares should be available on a first come, first serve basis, with one seat for one person. This is in no way intended to prohibit a person from saving a seat that has already been taken while that seat occupant is otherwise engaged and away from the seat for a short period of time.
How do you define a short period of time? 5min.? 10min.? 15min? 20min.? More?

Quote:
I don't care if you're having a class reunion, neighborhood gathering, or the family is in from up north or whatever other reason you feel is justification for inconveniencing the rest of us. Seat holding of large groups when the occupants are not there is wrong and unfair and must end.
Large groups? How large is large? What if the group consists of several members of a disability club, like Parkinson's, COPD, or other disability? Some disabilities are not always obvious by looking at the person.

Quote:
If you agree with this petition then please post stating that you agree. Any who disagree, please feel free to express your disagreement here as well. Hopefully it will all be reviewed by The Villages Entertainment Division and action will be taken to resolve this issue.
This being "America's Friendliest Hometown" I would give people the benefit of the doubt. The group may be Alzheimer's patients with their caregivers. There are so many disabilities these day you never know what the situation might be. If there are handicapped parking spaces around the square, I assume there may be handicapped people coming to the square for entertainment.

If you can still stand up for a long period of time, consider yourself lucky. Standing is better for your health and you will be better off physically and mentally for having done so.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Sorry about the mistake about the time Boogie, but I just can't figure out when villagers know it's going to be crowded, people don't bring a camp style chair. Not trying to be mean, but if there was a body in every chair would that make you feel better. When I go to the square, and I know there is going to be a large crowd I bring my own chair, set it where I want and then check out the venders. That may not suit everyone either, but I'm not using a Village property chair. I did like the idea to have two well liked bands on the same night.
Yes, it would absolutely make me feel better if there was a body in every chair. If someone wants to sit there for two or three hours to make sure that they have a seat, that fine. But people are going there at 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon, tying off their seats and then going to dinner or going about their day. If I arrive before them the seat should be available. Not only that but one person is going over as soon as the chairs are set up and tying off multiple chairs. sometimes they might tie up 25-30 chairs for people who just show up at 5:00 or later. Why should those people be entitled to a seat before someone that is there before them?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:45 PM

Seat savers are selfish and think they are entitled. A since they put their oun self above all others, anything enflicted on them is just and will be supported by the majority.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:53 AM

No inflection is supported by any majority. So, now you need to stop.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
No inflection is supported by any majority. So, now you need to stop.
11 names are not a majority, are they?

Go to the squares and you see the majority - having fun and enjoying themselves and not kvetching about some chairs tied together.

Good to hear a similar voice.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:
ok ,so I'll go to the supermarket, put my cart in the checkout lane and then go shop, that's OK right? After all, it's my shopping cart, right?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I have lived here full time for five years. There is NO major problem. I go to the squares frequently. I have never seen altercations over seats. People do take roped off chairs when no one shows up at 5. No yelling, no shoving, no fights.

No need for a security force or deputies. Just arrive early for a show, put your chairs down and enjoy people watching, beautiful weather, and meet new people.

Get there late and you may not have a seat until the next set.

Isn't it great that saved seats are the biggest problem that we have down here?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
ok ,so I'll go to the supermarket, put my cart in the checkout lane and then go shop, that's OK right? After all, it's my shopping cart, right?
You could do that, but your cart won't be where you left it when you come back, guaranteed.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
You could do that, but your cart won't be where you left it when you come back, guaranteed.
Huh??
Old 04-03-2015, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
Huh??
What he/she is saying is that if people expect to hold their place in the square by placing a provided chair there but not staying with it, then maybe he/she could do that at a grocery store with the carts they provide.

I could see this being a good idea in, say, a Pathmark in New Jersey! (Unless you value your life...)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.