pets in town squares ...

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default pets in town squares ...

Yesterday I was told by a village employee that they are going to stop all pets from going to downtown squares...
Apparently there was an incident .....and with the crowds of people that frequent these squares I'm not surprized....
Does anyone have an update on this........

fumar
Old 04-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Veteran member

I don't have an update, but I have an opinion.

It's a public sidewalk.

You may not be able to take pets in the seating area like you can't smoke, but I don't think they'll be able to do anything about pets outside the 'circle'.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 04-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I predict this thread will have over 50 comments and 1500views.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
Apparently there was an incident
It was just a matter of time before this happened ! !
Old 04-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Veteran member

At Spanish Springs in December I saw a very large dog attack a much smaller one on the outer sidewalk by the bar across the street from Starbucks and Katie Bell's. Both owners had their dogs on a leash but the owner of the big dog could not control the dog. I think the big dog would have killed the smaller one had it not been for some young guy jumping in and pulling the large dog off the small dog. The guy was actually rolling on the ground with the dog to get it away from the small dog.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Veteran member

Sorry I missed that...........
Old 04-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Platinum member
Default You Pegged It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I predict this thread will have over 50 comments and 1500views.
I know I will probably catch you-know-what for this, but I'm glad someone brought this front and center. Let me start by saying I have a dog (did have 2 but one died at 16) so I am an animal lover. The point is, they are animals and as such have their place. Not everyone thinks my little darling is as cute as I do, and I respect that. I don't understand why these people cannot leave them at home for a couple of hours. I know they don't take them to the doctors office, church, grocery store, restaurants, etc. Even man Villages offices are posted that animals not allowed. If they can't bear to leave them long enough to socialize, then they need to stay home with them or at the very least keep them leashed and in the cart with them. We were at SS one evening when a little girl was bitten in the face and nobody did a thing. I would not have been so calm had it been my child or grandchild. The owner acted as if the child should have not been there and was really rude to the grandparents. On another point, the smell is going to be an issue as the weather heats up, expecially now that there are so many people bringing their dogs. Service dogs are another matter and are working and usually are not allowed to be petted, etc. They should be allowed there as they are other places.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:38 PM

100%.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Sage

First the buffalo. Now dogs in the Town Squares.

Next they'll be banning golf carts.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:54 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Someone noted that the roads/sidewalks are "public property" and they didn't think pets could be banned from them. FYI, those items (sidewalks, roads, etc.) are not public property at SS or SL - they are private property. The owner (the developer) just choses to make them accessible to the public but they are private and could truly be "access controlled" if the owner/developer so chose. I guess, officially, the owner of those facilities in the CDD that "owns" Spanish Springs and Sumter Landing - not one of the numbered districts either, something like the Village Center Community Development District (VCCDD). Do those initials look familiar? You see them every month on your water, sewer, trash and ammenities statement (i.e. make checks payable to VCCDD-LSSA). If they were not private property, then all the "open bottle" laws would apply and drinking in public in the square, on the square, and around the square would have to be prohibited. So yes, the owners could prohibit pets from downtown - I just hope they don't.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:51 AM
Founder

I am the first one irritated when somebody highjacks a thread, but I want to jump in for a moment because somebody mentioned "service dogs." There is a new "trick" among some dog owners that is gaining popularity. They put a little cape or sign on their "regular" dog that says, "service dog" or "service dog in training" so they can take it where it isn't suppose to be. Takes a lot of nerve HUH? Okay, now back (or bark) to the "dogs at town square thread."
Old 04-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Taltarzac
Default I agree with ALN on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aln View Post
I don't have an update, but I have an opinion.

It's a public sidewalk.

You may not be able to take pets in the seating area like you can't smoke, but I don't think they'll be able to do anything about pets outside the 'circle'.
It is the squares though where the people sit down to enjoy the music and the other people. It has been too noisy for my dog the few times I took him to either town squares.

You would need an awful lot of peeing dogs though to create any kind of smell at either of these squares so I cannot really see this as being a concern. This was brought up by a previous poster.

The statistics seem to suggest that dogs are more dangerous than any other creature that might appear at the squares except for the two legged variety. http://www.americanhumane.org/about-...dog-bites.html

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-27-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Sage
Arrow Confusion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I am the first one irritated when somebody highjacks a thread, but I want to jump in for a moment because somebody mentioned "service dogs." There is a new "trick" among some dog owners that is gaining popularity. They put a little cape or sign on their "regular" dog that says, "service dog" or "service dog in training" so they can take it where it isn't suppose to be. Takes a lot of nerve HUH? Okay, now back (or bark) to the "dogs at town square thread."
TH, I think you might be confusing the dog in the cape with this guy...

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/krypto/

Old 04-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

[quote=Taltarzac;200806]
You would need an awful lot of peeing dogs though to create any kind of smell at either of these squares so I cannot really see this as being a concern.

Curious, wonder how many or how few dogs it has taken to smell up and kill off drought resistant vegetation around our mail facility. Some days seem like a social gathering of canine pals all trying to out pee the other.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Platinum member
Question Question for you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
It is the squares though where the people sit down to enjoy the music and the other people. It has been too noisy for my dog the few times I took him to either town squares.

You would need an awful lot of peeing dogs though to create any kind of smell at either of these squares so I cannot really see this as being a concern. This was brought up by a previous poster.

The statistics seem to suggest that dogs are more dangerous than any other creature that might appear at the squares except for the two legged variety. http://www.americanhumane.org/about-...dog-bites.html
Why do we see so many posts about people walking their pets (curb your dog thread) that complain about the smell getting in their yards if the smell won't become a problem at the squares as there gets to be more and more dogs? It is just natural for them to "leave their mark". In another thread (dog parks), it has been noted that dogs are more apt to become aggressive when leashed and the dogs on the squares have to be leashed. Actually, according to the restrictions here, they must be leashed when not in the confines of your own property. As you said about it being too noisy for yours when you did take them (it), it is usually too noisy for most animals. I've even heard some of the "two-legged" ones say they were ready to go home because it was too noisy to visit. My dog is too old for the parks, but that seems like a good idea if people must have their dogs in a social setting....there than can be off leash and socialize with their own species. As you said, people go to the squares to enjoy the entertainment and other people.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.