Pickleball - Open Play Etiquette and Procedures

Old 01-26-2024, 11:20 AM

NYC natives seem to have a stereotype as loud, boisterous, and "in your face". Maybe somewhat true but you have to consider their urban environment. But that area of the state is vastly different than the rest of the state, in geography, weather, cost of living, salaries, and concentration of population. NYC considers "upstate" to be basically anywhere in the state north of them. Those not from NYC area consider upstate to be north or west of Albany. West of Albany could also be considered western NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Yeah, noticed that.

My wife and I play a lot of golf with strangers. Prefer it actually as we get to meet a lot of non - fulltime TV'ers here for a couple of weeks, a month, or whatever. Conversation during the round often centers on where we come from. I noticed that New Yorkers NOT from NY City invariably say that they come from UPSTATE New York. Are they merely reacting to the stereotype (as in "if I say New Yorker without qualifying by saying "upstate" these strangers might assume the worst about me?), or do they really see themselves as that fundamentally different from the folks who actually hail from the Big Apple?
Old 01-26-2024, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m in a weekly 4-some of pickleball players who play each week during open play at the Rec Center. We’re on the courts at the crack of dawn and usually play until about 830 AM or so. Up until January, there has been no waiting to get onto a court. Now that we’re in snowbird season, a line starts forming around 745AM, which is understandable for this busy time of year. Our group is probably at an “advanced beginner” stage, but none of us are rated, as we are just out to have fun and get some exercise.

Question - while waiting our turn in line, a group of 3 in front of us who’s turn it was to go onto the court needed a 4th person, we allowed a single person behind us in line to go in front of our group of 4, so that we could wait and play together when a court became available for us. This infuriated a man further back in line who yelled out at us to split up and for one of us to join the group of 3 ahead of us. The man was pretty belligerent and wouldn’t let it drop, even after the fact. We just smiled at him and didn’t respond to his outburst. I noticed a group of 4 ladies playing together did the same thing, as they wanted to play as a group. If we were in error, we surely want to be corrected, and play by the rules, but I never remember in pickleball class this particular issue ever being brought up. Was hoping someone from the pickleball community could chime in whether what we did is permissible or not. Thank you for your replies.
My standard reply/thought: "You don't like what I'm doing, write me a ticket." They almost never can. I don't let people make up rules for me that are not truly legally enforceable. Don't like what I'm doing? Write me a ticket. Can't? Too bad, pound sand and kick rocks. Want to take it up a notch? Ok, bring it on, but I'd rather just be left alone.

I'm not one to initiate conflict. I prefer everyone get along and I be left alone. However, I will not back down one single iota if it comes my way. Bullies are my least favorite people, and I have ZERO tolerance for people that take advantage of others. I am a welcome mat, not a door mat to have you wipe your feet upon.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 01-26-2024 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:33 AM

Question - while waiting our turn in line, a group of 3 in front of us who’s turn it was to go onto the court needed a 4th person, we allowed a single person behind us in line to go in front of our group of 4, so that we could wait and play together when a court became available for us. This infuriated a man further back in line who yelled out at us to split up and for one of us to join the group of 3 ahead of us. The man was pretty belligerent and wouldn’t let it drop, even after the fact. We just smiled at him and didn’t respond to his outburst. I noticed a group of 4 ladies playing together did the same thing, as they wanted to play as a group. If we were in error, we surely want to be corrected, and play by the rules, but I never remember in pickleball class this particular issue ever being brought up. Was hoping someone from the pickleball community could chime in whether what we did is permissible or not. Thank you for your replies.[/QUOTE]

If specific courts were designated to various skill levels that might help. As to the rube a javelin skillfully hurled generally would quiet the beast. 🤭
Old 01-26-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Yeah, noticed that.

My wife and I play a lot of golf with strangers. Prefer it actually as we get to meet a lot of non - fulltime TV'ers here for a couple of weeks, a month, or whatever. Conversation during the round often centers on where we come from. I noticed that New Yorkers NOT from NY City invariably say that they come from UPSTATE New York. Are they merely reacting to the stereotype (as in "if I say New Yorker without qualifying by saying "upstate" these strangers might assume the worst about me?), or do they really see themselves as that fundamentally different from the folks who actually hail from the Big Apple?
I've lived all over the country, and for over a dozen years I've lived in Upstate NY, and yes, they are as different as people that live in Macon GA vs Atlanta GA, Austin TX vs Waco TX, etc. Upstate is rural and is not unlike rural PA, rural Western MD, etc. In short, city people are city people regardless of the city and rural people are rural regardless of the state. The exceptions are the wealthy that buy up rural properties for vacation homes, they sometimes bring attitude with them but oftentimes leave it behind to be chill, just depends on if they are showing up or showing off.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:53 PM

Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse are considered upstate (and Western). NY. These metropolitan areas are far from being rural, although they have areas immediately surrounding them that are considered rural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justputt View Post
I've lived all over the country, and for over a dozen years I've lived in Upstate NY, and yes, they are as different as people that live in Macon GA vs Atlanta GA, Austin TX vs Waco TX, etc. Upstate is rural and is not unlike rural PA, rural Western MD, etc. In short, city people are city people regardless of the city and rural people are rural regardless of the state. The exceptions are the wealthy that buy up rural properties for vacation homes, they sometimes bring attitude with them but oftentimes leave it behind to be chill, just depends on if they are showing up or showing off.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcats View Post
If specific courts were designated to various skill levels that might help.
In most cases, open play is designated to a specific ability. Clearly posted on the board adjacent to the courts and also on The Villages app. In some cases, it's not specified, but most rec centers have a "reputation" for level of play. You can ask one of the folks in line, or get into a game and find out the hard way.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,666 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Known as pickleball hogs. Some claim court on open times and don’t get off ( just look at us we so good don’t challenge us) if you guys want to play by yourself do it after open play times 10AM preferably reserve court for your group.
You need to re-read the post. They did not stay on a court and did nothing wrong.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
During open time you fall in line wait for your turn. We not middle school girlfriends. O wait..
What did you not understand? They got in line, waiting for their turn, and even allowed someone to go in front of them. Again - nothing wrong.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
If proper etiquette is playing one game to 11 and others are waiting wouldn't that mean the 4 players of that game should walk off and the whole court becomes available after each and every game ? If standard practice how often is this adhered to ? Are there published rules of etiquette posted on/near the courts ? Just curious I'm not a pickle-ball player.
Yes. Posted on every gate. The OP correctly followed the rules.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:58 PM

All rec centers have open play every morning. Although it is recommended that true beginners do not attend, there is no hard and fast rule. OPEN play ends at 9:50 and anyone of any skill level or village location may play any court (unless otherwise reserved).

There is a schedule put out by the Rec Department that shows where you can go (days/times) for OPEN BEGINNER play, OPEN ADVANCED BEGINNER play and OPEN INTERMEDIATE play. These typically start at 10AM.

Beg-Adv Beg Play.gif - Google Drive
Old 01-26-2024, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPCGenius View Post
All rec centers have open play every morning. Although it is recommended that true beginners do not attend, there is no hard and fast rule. OPEN play ends at 9:50 and anyone of any skill level or village location may play any court (unless otherwise reserved).

There is a schedule put out by the Rec Department that shows where you can go (days/times) for OPEN BEGINNER play, OPEN ADVANCED BEGINNER play and OPEN INTERMEDIATE play. These typically start at 10AM.

Beg-Adv Beg Play.gif - Google Drive
What's the definition/rating of an Advanced Beginner and Intermediate player?

Last edited by Altavia; 01-26-2024 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Great question. I played for awhile in a "Beginner" group. One person showed up each week and played in the group as a warm up for her Advanced group that was later in the morning. There were a number of people that were clearly not Beginners, and it made it not very enjoyable for those of us that were.
Old 01-27-2024, 01:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
You make up your own.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
What did you not understand? They got in line, waiting for their turn, and even allowed someone to go in
front of them. Again - nothing wrong.
Well evidently someone didn’t didn’t like it, probably more but sheep don’t get out of line.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Great question. I played for awhile in a "Beginner" group. One person showed up each week and played in the group as a warm up for her Advanced group that was later in the morning. There were a number of people that were clearly not Beginners, and it made it not very enjoyable for those of us that were.
Your ability dictates it.

Tags
play, group, pickleball, line, court

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.