Pickleball Sign Up

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2022, 08:48 AM
Default Pickleball Sign Up

I am trying to sign up for Pickleball in the Villages. To sign up and get going has been exasperating. These are the hoops one must jump through. (1) View 2 intro to Pickleball videos. (2) Take an Intro to Pickleball #1 class. (3) Take an Intro to Pickleball #2 class.

I can not get into an Intro #1 class. Last week I went online 2 hours after sign up and it was full. This morning sign up started at 8:30am for the next Intro #1 class. I got online exactly at 8:30 and it was full with a wait list of 29 people so far.

At this rate I will never be able to play Pickleball. Is there any secret to getting signed up? If there is PM me. With the huge interest in Pickleball I wish someone would open up more classes or make the classes larger.

I just moved here three months ago and can't imagine what it is going to be like when the snowbirds come back down. Thanks for any help.

BS. I am in good shape, athletic, a fast learner and used to play tennis in College.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,155 Times in 5,382 Posts

Interesting, I have been meaning to give it a try
Old 08-06-2022, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

I had the same problem a few years ago and eventually just gave up. Probably my loss but after hearing rightly or wrongly about the "pickeball wars" and "pickleball snobs" (not unlike golf) on the courts especially with regard to newbies maybe in the end I was better off. It did often seem that "friends of the right people" had no problem getting started with classes.

Suggestion for ALL. NEVER use your primary email address as a username. You are inviting spam and more because there are "bots" all over the web harvesting email addresses. Best off using a throw-away email address if necessary or just a username as most do. Email-address harvesting - Wikipedia
"
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 08-06-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,685 Times in 954 Posts

In the summer, classes are reduced to once a month. Once the population begins to increase for the winter, classes will be held every week. Keep trying. You will eventually get in.

By the way: Although highly recommended that you attend the classes developed by the Pickleball Community Volunteer Group, it is not a requirement to use the courts. You can certainly go out with a friend or neighbor who is willing to teach you the game. Then, once you are able to attend a class, go and learn even more.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,207 Times in 570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlogan22@tampabay.rr.com View Post
I am trying to sign up for Pickleball in the Villages. To sign up and get going has been exasperating. These are the hoops one must jump through. (1) View 2 intro to Pickleball videos. (2) Take an Intro to Pickleball #1 class. (3) Take an Intro to Pickleball #2 class.

I can not get into an Intro #1 class. Last week I went online 2 hours after sign up and it was full. This morning sign up started at 8:30am for the next Intro #1 class. I got online exactly at 8:30 and it was full with a wait list of 29 people so far.

At this rate I will never be able to play Pickleball. Is there any secret to getting signed up? If there is PM me. With the huge interest in Pickleball I wish someone would open up more classes or make the classes larger.

I just moved here three months ago and can't imagine what it is going to be like when the snowbirds come back down. Thanks for any help.

BS. I am in good shape, athletic, a fast learner and used to play tennis in College.
I was on there at 8. When it opened at 8:30 I checked the 2 boxes and thought I was in. The confirmation email said I'm #1 on the waitlist. Just go to the open beginner times at the Rec Centers. Everybody is usually nice. I probably learned more in the last month than I will learn there, but have you to take one and two to get into the 3 skills classes.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	PB.jpg
Views:	2462
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	94628  
Old 08-06-2022, 03:47 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,258 Times in 364 Posts

Unfortunate you have had problems getting in a class. But you do not have to go the class(es) to play on the courts. It IS a good idea.

In the meantime - look for web sites that teach the rules and fundementals. You can 100% learn the rules online. You can get a good start on strategy also.

Beginner groups will welcome you as long as 1) you know the rules and 2) you have a basic understanding of how the game is played.

I hope you have better luck enrolling in the class in the future. They are definitely worth attending.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 08-06-2022, 06:51 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Unfortunate you have had problems getting in a class. But you do not have to go the class(es) to play on the courts. It IS a good idea.

In the meantime - look for web sites that teach the rules and fundementals. You can 100% learn the rules online. You can get a good start on strategy also.

Beginner groups will welcome you as long as 1) you know the rules and 2) you have a basic understanding of how the game is played.

I hope you have better luck enrolling in the class in the future. They are definitely worth attending.
I agree!
Old 08-07-2022, 04:35 AM
Veteran member

try platform tennis instead. Much less people, less of a chance getting hurt and the ball bounces higher, making it easier to get to the ball.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:04 AM
Veteran member

Just follow the process and you will be fine.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:12 AM

Quote:

Most of us are impressed with the magnitude of recreation in the Villages, but after living here and trying to use many of the facilities we quickly find that the extremely large volume of recreation facilities is hindered by an even larger volume of people wanting to use those facilities. 100 plus pickleball courts seems huge until you realize there are well over 1,000 people wanting to use those courts during prime time. Over time you may learn how to deal with the 'system' and work your way into the mix of the many people involved in the activity you want to participate in, but I'm sure many just give up and decide to do something else.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post

"You do not have to go to the classes to play on the courts". True, but playing pickleball at rec centers requires following rules and etiquette. If you do not have any skill, you will be embarassed or frowned upon.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:32 AM
Veteran member

If you do start playing locate beginners to play with at your skill level, experienced players don’t enjoy playing with beginners lol
Old 08-07-2022, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric View Post
"You do not have to go to the classes to play on the courts". True, but playing pickleball at rec centers requires following rules and etiquette. If you do not have any skill, you will be embarassed or frowned upon.
Embarrassed and frowned upon?
Not very friendly or encouraging for a beginner.
Where can the unskilled undesirables play? Asking for a friend, lol.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:07 AM
Default Pickleball

Quote:

Just watch a few you tube videos to get the basics and then show up at any rec center for open play for beginners. You will be welcomed and they will play with you and help you. That’s how I did it and now I play almost every day. I never took the classes from the village
Old 08-07-2022, 06:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,712 Times in 977 Posts

Here's a link to part 1, of a video course...https://pickleballcommunity.com/new-to-pickleball/

Or you can browse YouTube for many introductory courses.

A few things you need to know:

How to keep score. It's a tad confusing for beginners, but you'll get the hang of it.
Etiquette:
Don't open the gate while a point is being played on the court next to the gate. Wait until the point ends then enter.
Don't cross a court while a point is being played. Wait until the point is over.
When your ball rolls or flies toward another court announce "BALL ON COURT!", this is so nobody steps on a ball and hurts a leg or foot.

Play within your skill group. Don't be the Beginner, or Advanced Beginner, playing in the Intermediate or above group, and be the person who ruins every point because you can't return the ball. There is a group for your skill level. Please find it, and gradually try your game against stronger groups, but be prepared to move out if you are not capable of keeping the point going.

Learn the kitchen rules. Again, there are lots of videos on YouTube on the kitchen rules.

Kudos to you for trying to get into the PB101 classes, but if they don't have room for you, you don't need to stay away from the courts until they can accommodate you.

You, in all likelihood, have a friend or neighbor who can introduce you to the basics of court etiquette, scoring, kitchen play, and give you some tips on getting your serve in, the "3-Bounce Rule", and other basic elements of PB.

Here are some more links to excellent YouTube videos on getting started in PB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEYsymCtIDY

Have fun. 99% of the picklers in TV are open-armed, welcoming people, happy to help new players. There are a small number of players who are nasty to those who mis-step, but they are easily ignored. If you happen to cross one of them, don't let it deter you. You will soon learn they are a tiny minority.

Last edited by Laker14; 08-07-2022 at 06:14 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
pickleball, sign, intro, class, online

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.