Pickleball Sign Up

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2022, 06:18 AM

Come to Saddlebrook, Sat. & Wed. 10-12n. You will be welcomed. We have beginner & intermediate players. We will be glad to explain how to play and the rules. Ages range from 40-85.
Just be ready to have fun and laugh.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:20 AM

So you DO NOT have to go through the classes to play Pickleball. Even though I would at some point. What I would suggest is watch some YouTube videos on the rules especially scoring. Then go into your garage put a line of blue painters tape on the wall 34” high. This will simulate the height of the middle of the net. Then put another line of tape 7’ out from the wall on the floor. This will simulate the depth of the non volley zone (kitchen). Look for drills on YouTube for Pickleball wall drills. This will get you use to dinking, volleying and if you move back further in you garage some short ground strokes. Then check your Rec newspaper for places to play advanced beginner open play. These open play sessions are usually at 10:00 everyday at various Rec centers all week long. This will give you an excellent start. Just ignore the snobs.95% of us are nice people but it is important to find places where people are playing at your level if you are a beginner and walk into a pod of advanced players it most likely would not be fun for you. My wife and I have been playing in The Villages for 12 years and it is an awesome social sport that will keep you fit and mentally young. Don’t get discouraged you will love it. By the way make sure you pull your cars out of the garage first.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:15 AM

Many of the instructors go north for the summer. The best time to get all the classes in is fall. Instructors are back but most snow birds are not. Many videos on YouTube to learn the basics. Al's is good but not the only one. Just search pickleball 101 on YouTube. Courts are empty in the afternoon and you can go out and practice you serves. You can set up in your garage but many of the tennis courts have a backboard and you can practice there as well and leave your car in the garage. Many beginner groups in the villages, just look in the rec news for them. Most have fewer players in the summer and welcome new player. It is a great game and have fun
Old 08-07-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric View Post
"You do not have to go to the classes to play on the courts". True, but playing pickleball at rec centers requires following rules and etiquette. If you do not have any skill, you will be embarassed or frowned upon.
Wow! What a snobby response! Probably the reason why there is such a bad reputation around PB
Old 08-07-2022, 07:33 AM
Default Patience Grasshopper

Beginner pickleball lessons are taught entirely by volunteers (I’m one of them). In the summer, many of our instructors are gone. In addition, less people sign up so it normally balances out. As instructors return, we add courts so more people can be accommodated. Al is constantly teaching new instructors so if you know any 3.5 rated or above players who might make good instructors, encourage them to volunteer. Al teaches all of us so the instruction is consistent. What is frustrating to the instructors is knowing there is a waiting list and having people no-show so we don’t end up filling the courts. If you are high on the waitlist, you might consider going and maybe you make it in but no promises.

The video introduction is good for teaching you the basics so you can go to the Beginner Open Play times scheduled (in an earlier reply or at pickleballcommunity.com) People work together at these times to help you learn the game if you don’t want to wait to get in a class - there are no instructors.

Pickleball is the fastest growing sport and that is especially true in The Villages. Don’t give up! Looking forward to seeing you in class one of these days!
Old 08-07-2022, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
If you do start playing locate beginners to play with at your skill level, experienced players don’t enjoy playing with beginners lol
Problem is, and you all know every court has them: the person who plays above the beginner level who trolls the beginner sessions looking to be the "big fish in a small pond" instead of going up and playing at a higher level. Not only are they intimidating to the very beginner, they are taking up a slot in the session reserved for beginner caliber player.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
Problem is, and you all know every court has them: the person who plays above the beginner level who trolls the beginner sessions looking to be the "big fish in a small pond" instead of going up and playing at a higher level. Not only are they intimidating to the very beginner, they are taking up a slot in the session reserved for beginner caliber player.
Even here in paradise you are going to find one or two a$$ hats, lol.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:30 AM
Default Just go play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlogan22@tampabay.rr.com View Post
I am trying to sign up for Pickleball in the Villages. To sign up and get going has been exasperating. These are the hoops one must jump through. (1) View 2 intro to Pickleball videos. (2) Take an Intro to Pickleball #1 class. (3) Take an Intro to Pickleball #2 class.

I can not get into an Intro #1 class. Last week I went online 2 hours after sign up and it was full. This morning sign up started at 8:30am for the next Intro #1 class. I got online exactly at 8:30 and it was full with a wait list of 29 people so far.

At this rate I will never be able to play Pickleball. Is there any secret to getting signed up? If there is PM me. With the huge interest in Pickleball I wish someone would open up more classes or make the classes larger.

I just moved here three months ago and can't imagine what it is going to be like when the snowbirds come back down. Thanks for any help.

BS. I am in good shape, athletic, a fast learner and used to play tennis in College.
Find an empty court, that has balls sitting around , practice some serves, read the rules online , find a open group and get in line. You will be fine. Keep trying to get in the courses for fine tuning
Old 08-07-2022, 08:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,217 Times in 768 Posts

Find a few friends and go to the courts after hours, you can practice without being intimidated until you learn the ropes. Watch a few utube videos and learn the rules and you will do fine.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:57 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice. I now have HOPE.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,716 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your advice. I now have HOPE.
a few years ago when DW and I were starting, we went to Truman in the evening. There was a reserved i.e. "closed" group using a couple of courts. We were in the corner by ourselves. At one point one of the players came over and asked us we'd like to join. We were pretty shy about it, being beginners, but they couldn't have been nicer, and didn't beat us up any worse than they had to, and gave us pointers, and invited us to join their group anytime we wanted.

That's what you are more likely to encounter than the jerks. Really. You'll be fine.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:45 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,078 Times in 541 Posts

Speaking of Pickleball, CBS Sunday morning just did an interesting segment about its origins. Enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smw4ekw089U
Old 08-07-2022, 09:53 AM

I didn't take lessons, although I did watch the 101 video. I also watched You Tube videos to learn how to play and then practiced with some friends. I don't know where you are located, but Monday thru Friday (actually, probably every day), people of all ability levels play at Mulberry Rec Center starting at 8 A.M. The courts are divided. You want the set of courts on the left. The courts to the right are for the advanced players. If are willing to come to Mulberry, my friends and I can teach you how to play. We also play at Laurel Manor on Wednesday nights. PM me if you are interested. Pickle-ball is a blast! Don't give up on it.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I am trying to sign up for Pickleball in the Villages. To sign up and get going has been exasperating. These are the hoops one must jump through. (1) View 2 intro to Pickleball videos. (2) Take an Intro to Pickleball #1 class. (3) Take an Intro to Pickleball #2 class.

I can not get into an Intro #1 class. Last week I went online 2 hours after sign up and it was full. This morning sign up started at 8:30am for the next Intro #1 class. I got online exactly at 8:30 and it was full with a wait list of 29 people so far.

At this rate I will never be able to play Pickleball. Is there any secret to getting signed up? If there is PM me. With the huge interest in Pickleball I wish someone would open up more classes or make the classes larger.

I just moved here three months ago and can't imagine what it is going to be like when the snowbirds come back down. Thanks for any help.

BS. I am in good shape, athletic, a fast learner and used to play tennis in College.
We also have been here only 3 months and found it hard to learn. We were lucky in that someone in our neighborhood was willing to coordinate “social pickle ball” nights after making sure everyone knew the safety rules. So my advice is to ask people in your village. Someone may step up👍🏻 Good luck you are not alone. There are lots and lots of us learning the sport. It is quite fun!!
Old 08-07-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:

We also have been here only 3 months and found it hard to learn. We were lucky in that someone in our neighborhood was willing to coordinate “social pickle ball” nights after making sure everyone knew the safety rules. So my advice is to ask people in your village. Someone may step up👍🏻 Good luck you are not alone. There are lots and lots of us learning the sport. It is quite fun!!
Closed Thread

Tags
pickleball, sign, intro, class, online

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.