Pickleball Sign Up

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Here's a link to part 1, of a video course...New to Pickleball - PCVG

Or you can browse YouTube for many introductory courses.

A few things you need to know:

How to keep score. It's a tad confusing for beginners, but you'll get the hang of it.
Etiquette:
Don't open the gate while a point is being played on the court next to the gate. Wait until the point ends then enter.
Don't cross a court while a point is being played. Wait until the point is over.
When your ball rolls or flies toward another court announce "BALL ON COURT!", this is so nobody steps on a ball and hurts a leg or foot.

Play within your skill group. Don't be the Beginner, or Advanced Beginner, playing in the Intermediate or above group, and be the person who ruins every point because you can't return the ball. There is a group for your skill level. Please find it, and gradually try your game against stronger groups, but be prepared to move out if you are not capable of keeping the point going.

Learn the kitchen rules. Again, there are lots of videos on YouTube on the kitchen rules.

Kudos to you for trying to get into the PB101 classes, but if they don't have room for you, you don't need to stay away from the courts until they can accommodate you.

You, in all likelihood, have a friend or neighbor who can introduce you to the basics of court etiquette, scoring, kitchen play, and give you some tips on getting your serve in, the "3-Bounce Rule", and other basic elements of PB.

Here are some more links to excellent YouTube videos on getting started in PB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEYsymCtIDY

Have fun. 99% of the picklers in TV are open-armed, welcoming people, happy to help new players. There are a small number of players who are nasty to those who mis-step, but they are easily ignored. If you happen to cross one of them, don't let it deter you. You will soon learn they are a tiny minority.
This is spot on. Do Not wait to take the class. Start playing now! Find a court that has Beginner play (look in Rec News) and go play. Enjoy!
Old 08-07-2022, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlogan22@tampabay.rr.com View Post
I am trying to sign up for Pickleball in the Villages. To sign up and get going has been exasperating. These are the hoops one must jump through. (1) View 2 intro to Pickleball videos. (2) Take an Intro to Pickleball #1 class. (3) Take an Intro to Pickleball #2 class.

I can not get into an Intro #1 class. Last week I went online 2 hours after sign up and it was full. This morning sign up started at 8:30am for the next Intro #1 class. I got online exactly at 8:30 and it was full with a wait list of 29 people so far.

At this rate I will never be able to play Pickleball. Is there any secret to getting signed up? If there is PM me. With the huge interest in Pickleball I wish someone would open up more classes or make the classes larger.

I just moved here three months ago and can't imagine what it is going to be like when the snowbirds come back down. Thanks for any help.

BS. I am in good shape, athletic, a fast learner and used to play tennis in College.
You should forget pickleball and play tennis in the Villages. Pickleball will hurt your elbow and makes a loud, annoying, clicking sound when the ball hits your paddle. Real men and women play tennis.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I am trying to sign up for Pickleball in the Villages. To sign up and get going has been exasperating. These are the hoops one must jump through. (1) View 2 intro to Pickleball videos. (2) Take an Intro to Pickleball #1 class. (3) Take an Intro to Pickleball #2 class.

I can not get into an Intro #1 class. Last week I went online 2 hours after sign up and it was full. This morning sign up started at 8:30am for the next Intro #1 class. I got online exactly at 8:30 and it was full with a wait list of 29 people so far.

At this rate I will never be able to play Pickleball. Is there any secret to getting signed up? If there is PM me. With the huge interest in Pickleball I wish someone would open up more classes or make the classes larger.

I just moved here three months ago and can't imagine what it is going to be like when the snowbirds come back down. Thanks for any help.

BS. I am in good shape, athletic, a fast learner and used to play tennis in College.
I feel your pain having went through the same process. Several other sports are the same way with road blocks. Sometimes it seems as much in the Villages is scheduled around snow birds returning in the fall as some commented. You can as suggested play at different courts according to standing rules and besides getting practice have fun. Being in a retirement community I laugh as many golf for the first time without near the roadblocks. Hang in there things will improve with time. Hope you have some fun too.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Unfortunate you have had problems getting in a class. But you do not have to go the class(es) to play on the courts. It IS a good idea.

In the meantime - look for web sites that teach the rules and fundementals. You can 100% learn the rules online. You can get a good start on strategy also.

Beginner groups will welcome you as long as 1) you know the rules and 2) you have a basic understanding of how the game is played.

I hope you have better luck enrolling in the class in the future. They are definitely worth attending.
I know I am way off-topic, but do you have a Scottie? We do and are moving down in September. I feel awful taking him away from the snow into the heat!
Old 08-08-2022, 04:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,223 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
You should forget pickleball and play tennis in the Villages. Pickleball will hurt your elbow and makes a loud, annoying, clicking sound when the ball hits your paddle. Real men and women play tennis.
or better yet, platform tennis. I've never seen either type of tennis courts get used as much as the pickleball courts.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:06 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,265 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbuffington View Post
I know I am way off-topic, but do you have a Scottie? We do and are moving down in September. I feel awful taking him away from the snow into the heat!
LOL, Yes. She enjoys the AC about as much as we do. 30 minutes or so for a walk is about right this time of year.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 08-08-2022, 07:31 PM
Default True

Quote:

The reservations and lines are ridiculous.

Way too difficult to sign up for a class.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:39 PM

Courts are packed in the mornings, but plenty of open courts in the afternoon, which means you can practice. Go to YouTube, watch videos on the rules and scoring system. You don't need an instructor to learn the rules. If possible, find one other person you can hit balls back and forth with. You can practice serving by yourself. I did when I was starting out. Get the activity newspaper, find courts with "Beginner" open play. If you show up to Beginner open play, and know the rules and can get your serve in, you will be fine.

I won't be back in TV until October. If you are still having trouble getting started, DM me, I will set you up with people who hold free clinics for beginners. I also know of a few "closed" groups that are beginner-oriented.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,716 Times in 979 Posts

I wonder if TV will ever turn some of the underutilized tennis courts into pickleball courts. It's very common to see 48 or more people using, with some standing in line, the same amount of space dedicated to two tennis courts, which are going unused.
I'm not saying they should turn all of the tennis courts into pickle, but clearly, as evidenced by how much use each facility gets, and how much space they take up, we don't need two tennis courts at every pickleball facility.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I wonder if TV will ever turn some of the underutilized tennis courts into pickleball courts. It's very common to see 48 or more people using, with some standing in line, the same amount of space dedicated to two tennis courts, which are going unused.
I'm not saying they should turn all of the tennis courts into pickle, but clearly, as evidenced by how much use each facility gets, and how much space they take up, we don't need two tennis courts at every pickleball facility.
Don't count on it. Isn't there 4 platform tennis courts and only 2 pickleball courts at the new first responders rec center ?
Old 08-09-2022, 03:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,716 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Don't count on it. Isn't there 4 platform tennis courts and only 2 pickleball courts at the new first responders rec center ?
I am not counting on it, and I can't answer your question about the First Responders Rec Center, because I don't know.

Also, in fairness to the tennis players, I am not a tennis player, so I don't really have a clue as to how hard or easy it is to find a court. Since they can't accommodate as many tennis players as the pickleball courts can, maybe it's hard to get a court. I don't really know.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:25 PM
Platinum member

There is 4 platform tennis courts and 2 pickleball courts at the first responders rec center. Poor tennis players got none. In contrast to rohan which has 6 platform, 2 tennis, and 18 pickleball courts. In all fairness it pretty much looks like 6 platform tennis courts or 6 pickleball courts fit in the footprint of 2 tennis courts.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	1stRes.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	94670  
Closed Thread

Tags
pickleball, sign, intro, class, online

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.